All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 22-02-2010, 10:01 AM
Brendan Donegan

@Unregistered

Just because one or two Nokia phones had factory defects doesn't mean they all do. None of the Nokia's I've ever owned have had such problems. Still crappy software? That's just your opinion. To be honest Android doesn't float my boat much and I could never live with Apple patronising me to the max (one place to get applications, only one of which may run at a time, basically only one model. one everything !) The only point I can agree on is that OOM errors are frustrating and I wish Nokia would put more RAM in.

Old 22-02-2010, 10:28 AM
Matt Lang, UK

as coronado

I thought the list of current major mobile OSs would be:

- Symbian
- Android
- RIM Blackberry OS
- iPhone OS
- WebOS
- Windows Mobile/Windows Phone
- Maemo/Meego
- LiMo (mainly Vodafone 360, I suspect)
- Bada

Old 22-02-2010, 12:02 PM
Unregistered

@Brendan Donegan,

One or two phones. How about:

1. The original N95.
2. E90
3. N81
4. N96
5. N85
6. 5800
7. N97
8. E71 (Stupid 2.5mm headphone slot)

Just to name a few. All of these phones, ALL OF THEM, had or continue to have screwed up software. Soooooooooooooooooooooo your one or two phones with defects argument is crap.

Old 22-02-2010, 01:20 PM
Unregistered

everything has a problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
@Brendan Donegan,

One or two phones. How about:

1. The original N95.
2. E90
3. N81
4. N96
5. N85
6. 5800
7. N97
8. E71 (Stupid 2.5mm headphone slot)

Just to name a few. All of these phones, ALL OF THEM, had or continue to have screwed up software. Soooooooooooooooooooooo your one or two phones with defects argument is crap.
and the other brands never had a problem? go visit HTC,Samsung,LG,Apple,HP, any other manufacturer that sells anything. You will hear a complaint because the ones who are satisfied with their phones, rarely visit the forums and blogs to write about it. Of course anly Apple blames it's costumers for mishandling the device if it ever breaks and the complaint went publicly.

Old 22-02-2010, 01:33 PM

palmsolo is on a distinguished road
Google has a podcatcher too

Steve, Google has its own podcatcher called Listen. It actually now integrates into Google Reader so can easily add podcasts from a PC and have the subscription synced to the Nexus One. It will also download podcasts at night while you sleep if WiFi is on and you are in range of a connection.

Old 22-02-2010, 01:55 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Yes, I know about Listen. But it's horribly buggy. Or was. I'll grab the latest version and see if it has improved!

Old 22-02-2010, 02:19 PM

daos is on a distinguished road
First of all, for those 7 tasks one does not need Nexus at all. Almost any phone with decent java support can do those things at least not worse, then mentioned devices. In some cases, hardware depended (better screen, keyboard, camera etc.), even better then mentioned devices. For the maps i would say, that Google's coverage of the world is much better then from Nokia. Meaning, in many places Ovi maps are USELESS, because there are not ovi maps there and in some cases WILL NOT BE for free or for price.
Secondary and this is collaborating with following - "Windows mobile is dead and it was not a competition in first place". In Steve place, i would rather argued things which CAN NOT be reproduced on smartphone due hardware, platform etc.

Old 22-02-2010, 03:03 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
and the other brands never had a problem? go visit HTC,Samsung,LG,Apple,HP, any other manufacturer that sells anything. You will hear a complaint because the ones who are satisfied with their phones, rarely visit the forums and blogs to write about it. Of course anly Apple blames it's costumers for mishandling the device if it ever breaks and the complaint went publicly.
Good try. The models listed show a continuing pattern of Nokia releasing defective phones directly from the factory. Nokia has a track record of releasing buggy software, broken hardware, and having a group of apologists ready to continually forgive them for their mishandling of a crappy product.

If Nokia had only one phone to compete against the likes of an iPhone, or a Nexus, or HTC offering, do you really think they could compete? They would get blown out of the water by a slow and decaying OS, and factory produced hardware failures.

Get a clue.

Old 22-02-2010, 03:10 PM
Administrator

"Google's coverage of the world is much better then from Nokia. Meaning, in many places Ovi maps are USELESS"

I can't let this go without comment. Over something like 85% of the world's land area, there is NO phone signal at all, let alone 3G. How the heck will Google Maps work then? At least Ovi Maps lets you preload every country, so that you can navigate in the absence of phone/data connection.

Old 22-02-2010, 03:14 PM
Uninterested

Quote:
Originally Posted by daos View Post
Meaning, in many places Ovi maps are USELESS, because there are not ovi maps there .
In much more of the world Google maps are USELESS because there isn't a data connection available. Or the data connection is too slow.

Old 22-02-2010, 03:15 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by slitchfield View Post
"Google's coverage of the world is much better then from Nokia. Meaning, in many places Ovi maps are USELESS"

I can't let this go without comment. Over something like 85% of the world's land area, there is NO phone signal at all, let alone 3G. How the heck will Google Maps work then? At least Ovi Maps lets you preload every country, so that you can navigate in the absence of phone/data connection.
You are 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000% correct Steve.

Old 22-02-2010, 03:19 PM
Uninterested

Quote:
Good try. The models listed show a continuing pattern of Nokia releasing defective phones directly from the factory. Nokia has a track record of releasing buggy software, broken hardware, and having a group of apologists ready to continually forgive them for their mishandling of a crappy product.

If Nokia had only one phone to compete against the likes of an iPhone, or a Nexus, or HTC offering, do you really think they could compete? They would get blown out of the water by a slow and decaying OS, and factory produced hardware failures.

Get a clue.
I've fled Nokia and tried other manufacturers phones. I've found them to be equally as bad as Nokia for bugginess and firmware stability. With the exception of the iPhone, which is not perfect but has a much more bug-free OS, it has had its problems that have been corrected by Apple with firmware updates. However, whilst the iPhone is a brilliant UI, internet device and application platform, it is an absolutely crap phone for voice calling and practicality, whilst Nokias almost always are excellent phones for voice calling and practicality.

There is another discussion on AAS somewhere that spells out why.

Old 22-02-2010, 03:22 PM
Unregistered

One fundamental difference is that the N97 has a keyboard and Nexus doesn´t. To my knowledge you can get the Nexus unlocked down to $500, similar for the N97. For comparison you can get the 5800 for as little as $250. If Nokia had built a flagship touch only phone and sold it for $500, the comparison would have been fairer. I believe we will see such a device later this year. It has been mentioned by Nokia execs at CMD (two months ago) that we will see these upcoming devices at the end of Q2 (like 4-5 months from now).

Too often I think people forget the cost of all these Android phones (running on expensive hardware) when compared to Nokia´s models. In the US the consumers may be somewhat fooled by subsidies, but this is not so in the rest of the world, and in the US of course Nokia/Symbian is not selling much anyway, while Apple sell most of their iPhones there (50+%?), so the competition is likely to be more between Android phones and iPhone, than Android versus Nokia/Symbian. My guess is that iPhone will not sell much more in 2010 than it did in 2009, amongst other things because of all the Android devices, the iPad (some cannibalization is likely to occur), and the fact that iPhone has lost some of its "novelty"; people start to want something different and there´s more and more iPhones in circulation.

What about comparing the N900 with N97, or N900 with Nexus?

Old 22-02-2010, 03:28 PM

Tenkom is on a distinguished road
There is nothing "superb" about nokia podcasting. It is perfectly adequate, but nothing more.
Getting urls into it is a pain(thanks to s60 browser having no copy/paste function) and the built in search never finds anything of use.
But the worst things are:
No playback resume. You have to remember where you left off in long podcasts. You can of course minimize it but then you have to be carefull not to listen to any music or fill the ram.
No option for streaming(At least I haven't found one). So you HAVE to download the whole podcast before you can start listening to it. My iphone and N900 will happily stream them.
Have to manually delete old podcasts.

These are all things that my n900(with gpodder and panucci, both free) and iphone 3gs(out of the box) handles with ease.

None of them are deal breakers for me though and I still use it.

Old 22-02-2010, 04:10 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenkom View Post
There is nothing "superb" about nokia podcasting. It is perfectly adequate, but nothing more.
It's superb for me. Set up with all my podcasts, it just grabs everything automatically, every day.
Quote:
Getting urls into it is a pain(thanks to s60 browser having no copy/paste function)
Umm... copy/paste works fine from Web's "Subscribe to feeds/Web feeds" system. Though I agree the two apps could be integrated much better.

Quote:
No playback resume. You have to remember where you left off in long podcasts.
Agreed. This should be fixed.

Quote:
No option for streaming
Why would anyone in their right mind want this? Seriously. We're talking about 20MB+ files here!