All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 09-10-2008, 06:33 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Nokia E90 vs Asus EEE PC 900 - The Microlaptop vs the Minilaptop

The EEE PC portable computer range has received a lot of coverage over the past year partly due to its low price but also partly due to its small size. How does Asus' minilaptop compare to Nokia's microlaptop, the E90 Communicator? All About Symbian's Tzer2 is about to find out, in an article with somewhat predictable outcome but plenty of interesting insights along the way, including Download! being held up as a relatively good example of how to do things - for a change.

Read on in the full article.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:56 AM
Unregistered

I'll buy an Eee PC anytime over an E90. E90 is not really pocketable and it is too expensive. By the way, the latest Eee PC also come with 3.5G (among other new features) for about 50 Euros more. It is still very affortable.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:17 AM
Unregistered

>'By the way, the latest Eee PC also come with 3.5G'

You mean it comes with a built in mobile network card?? That sounds impressive.

How does that work? Presumably you have to put in your own sim card from your own network provider??

Old 09-10-2008, 07:23 AM
Unregistered

Yes, you need a sim card from your network provider. That really makes Eee PC a truly NetPC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
>'By the way, the latest Eee PC also come with 3.5G'

You mean it comes with a built in mobile network card?? That sounds impressive.

How does that work? Presumably you have to put in your own sim card from your own network provider??

Old 09-10-2008, 07:34 AM
Unregistered

ehhh, the Eee PC is not pocketable either.
They should not be compared, because they are truley different devices. If the E90 had a keyboard comparable with the former Psion 5mx series than the E90 would have been a formidable and better Office device, but the E90's keyboard sucks...

Old 09-10-2008, 07:35 AM
Unregistered

This comparison is somewhat incomplete as many people use their EeePC's with Windows XP installed, which means the EeePC is much stronger on the software front. I'm using the EeePC with a dual-boot option, with both XP and the stock XandrOS installed, and it serves all my needs short of any task with heavy CPU utilization (ie. video production, 3d rendering etc.)

With an E90 you can do much less, but you can still do a lot carrying around only your cellphone, which is the whole point of the device. I'm certainly looking forward to future "Communicator" style devices from Nokia...

Old 09-10-2008, 08:06 AM
Administrator

Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I'll buy an Eee PC anytime over an E90. E90 is not really pocketable
Are you saying the EEE PC is pocketable? You'd have to be wearing circus clown trousers to fit the EEE PC in a pocket, or be Captain Caveman. :-) There is no way you could carry the EEE PC with you everywhere, the E90 is much more plausible as a take-everywhere device.

The E90 is as pocketable as a mobile phone from about ten years ago, and I seem to rememer a lot of people carrying phones in their pockets even back then.

Also, the E90 has a much better claim to fitting in handbags than the EEE PC (lots of the hype for the EEE PC talked about it being handbag-size but that's just not true).

Quote:
By the way, the latest Eee PC also come with 3.5G (among other new features) for about 50 Euros more. It is still very affortable.
First of all, as I said in the article, you don't really need built-in 3.5G because you can connect the EEE PC to the internet through your normal phone (on USB with cheaper EEE PCs, on Bluetooth with more expensive models). Alternatively you can buy a USB 3.5G modem dongle. I agree it would be nice to have it built in though, so you aren't as dependent on your phone or dongle.

But, second, I don't know any currently available EEE PC model with built-in 3.5G, especially at such a cheap price. Could you provide a link to where we can buy one?

Quote:
They should not be compared, because they are truley different devices.
As I said at the very beginning and middle and end of the article, they are very different devices, but they have one thing in common: they're trying to offer a much smaller alternative to the traditional laptop.

Which device you choose depends on what you want to do and where you want to do it. The point of the article is to explore who would appreciate which device.

Quote:
This comparison is somewhat incomplete as many people use their EeePC's with Windows XP installed
Good point, but I'm sure almost all readers are well aware of what Windows can do and don't need us telling them. On the other hand people probably don't know what Xandros Linux can do so this article covers it.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:22 AM
TomNick

E90

I don't understand the implied criticism "..underwhelming as a multimedia device" for the E90. I have upwards of 60 albums with great play back quality, 1 to 2 FULL WIDESCREEN films playing back without a flicker in sight and great sound, great photos (in daylight), widescreen picture viewer, e books that read just like the real thing thanks to the great screen (with auto scroll!!) and desktop functionality for all of these. Underwhelming is the understatement of the year..

Old 09-10-2008, 08:26 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
As another Eee owner, I just wanted to make the point that an Eee with Windows installed is (IMHO) an abomination. The whole *point* of getting an Eee is to get away from Windows and hard disks.

Our Eee 701 runs beautifully and fairly quickly on its solid state disk. No spinning hardware to break, no Windows to patch and break, no viruses, etc. A great little second-string mini PC.

And yeah, and I'm back on my trusty E90 as well. For the winter anyway. Hopefully by the time the sun's out again (in May 2009) my i8510 will be mature and rock solid 8-)))

Old 09-10-2008, 08:26 AM

Chrissybear is on a distinguished road
What's the point?

I just cannot see the point in this article.

Comparing phones to phones is fine, but this is like comparing apples to peanuts!

I hope this is not a sign that AAS is struggling for content!

Now a comparison between HTC Touch Pro and E90 might be more revealing!

Old 09-10-2008, 08:29 AM

Ratkat is on a distinguished road
I think an Asus EEE PC v Nokia N810 would be a more interesting comparison.

Cost Effective Web Design Nximedia
Ads

Old 09-10-2008, 08:36 AM

malbry is on a distinguished road
In relation to add-on software, your points are correct in relation to Asus own site. However, I should point out that there is a thriving eeePC community and it is *very* easy to find stacks of high-quality free software which runs on the Xandros-based EEEPC 900. I wouldn't want anyone reading your article to think they can't add extra software. Even at FreEPOC, despite our normal focus on Symbian (Epoc) OS, we have added instructions for running some of our software on the eeePC. So there's definitely good stuff out there :-)

Best regards,
Malcolm
www.freepoc.org

Old 09-10-2008, 08:50 AM
Administrator

Quote:
I just cannot see the point in this article.
If you actually read the article you'll find out. The article begins by explaining its reason for existence.

Both the E90 and the EEE PC are intended to provide much smaller alternatives to the normal-sized laptop. They're both intended for people who find a normal laptop just too large.

The article explores the advantages and disadvantages of these two very different approaches to miniaturising the laptop.

Quote:
Comparing phones to phones is fine, but this is like comparing apples to peanuts!
Absolutely no one buys an E90 as a straightforward phone. You would only pay 800+ euros because you want something like a laptop but which is much smaller than a laptop.

That's the same sort of reason someone might buy an EEE PC, they want laptop functions but in a much smaller package.

I agree they're aimed at different markets, it says so in the very first paragraph of the article, but I then go on to explain why it's worth comparing them.

The two devices have taken the miniaturisation to different degrees, and this creates some interesting contrasts between them, which is what I've written about.

Quote:
I think an Asus EEE PC v Nokia N810 would be a more interesting comparison.
It would indeed be interesting, and I do own an N810, but that would have absolutely nothing to do with Symbian so you won't ever see such a comparison on this site.

Quote:
I don't understand the implied criticism "..underwhelming as a multimedia device" for the E90.
I agree it's perfectly adequate for music playback and the large screen makes it better than most phones for videos and ebooks, but as a competitor to laptops it's not especially media-friendly. For example there are no dedicated playback controls and there's no 3.5mm headphone socket either.

The E90 is also not significantly better than the EEE PC for multimedia, which is why I rated them as equals (the E90 wins on portability but the EEE PC wins on screen size, so it sort of cancels out).

Old 09-10-2008, 08:51 AM
Unregistered

Why noth throw the N810 into the mix

Seems to be a reasonable middle ground and worth considering.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:58 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Why noth throw the N810 into the mix
Seems to be a reasonable middle ground and worth considering.
AAS already did an E90 vs N810 article some time ago:

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/featu...unications.php

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/featu...Multimedia.php

Quote:
However, I should point out that there is a thriving eeePC community and it is *very* easy to find stacks of high-quality free software which runs on the Xandros-based EEEPC 900.
Malbry, I did try to find some third party sources for EEE PC apps but couldn't. The EEE PC community seems to be largely made up of Linux enthusiasts who can do things that ordinary users cannot.

I did find various hacks for getting add-on software installed on the EEE PC (or even installing another OS), but there was nothing easy enough for the ordinary non-anorak user who wants to do things entirely in the GUI.

If you know any sources of easy-to-install (i.e. no command lines, no editing script files etc) software for the EEE PC please do post some links.