All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

Old 19-11-2009, 10:17 PM
Reggie Sturd

Quote:
Originally Posted by slitchfield View Post
" you could accept that people have opinions that you don't agree with."

I fully accept that and welcome criticism. But not from cowards who hide behind 'Unregistered' without even being brave enough to give a nickname...
Can you explain exactly how using a nickname can be considered "brave"?

Can you explain how registered posting is brave?

It's not.

Not using a name is possibly a bit lazy, but it takes no bravery to punch in a false name. Or even a real name.

Some of these people seem to be genuinely annoyed by what they have read. There does seem to be a growing tide of dissatisfaction with what they might consider to be rose-tinted views. (not my opinion, I don't actually give as hit).

If someone suggest that they believe an Omnia HD is better than an N97 mini, why is that so offensive? Would it be saying any different if they typed in a stupid pseudonym like "UKPratt" or "Squealios" or "Busted"? Or "Dave Smith"? Everybody who doesn't post up a video of themselves is hiding. So that just leaves you, Rafe and Ewan as the only brave ones?

Here we go again.

Don't pontificate about registration, it's absolutely groundless and makes you look as though you have nothing else to offer. Every time you spit your dummy like that the unregs are scratching up another victory. Your better option is just to quietly rise above.

Old 19-11-2009, 10:42 PM
Jouten

Cool Bah!

The N97mini?! What the?!

EVERYONE knows that the Nokia 5730 XpressMusic is by FAR the SUPERIOR cell phone on the market today!

And yes, I am one of them 'odd' people that own a Nokia in the USA...

Old 19-11-2009, 10:47 PM
StupidNickName

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jouten View Post
The N97mini?! What the?!

EVERYONE knows that the Nokia 5730 XpressMusic is by FAR the SUPERIOR cell phone on the market today!

And yes, I am one of them 'odd' people that own a Nokia in the USA...
The 5730 is indeed brilliant at its price point. Bit slow on data as it lacks 3G, but otherwise stuffed with value.

Old 20-11-2009, 02:41 AM

Neero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by StupidNickName View Post
The 5730 is indeed brilliant at its price point. Bit slow on data as it lacks 3G, but otherwise stuffed with value.
It has tri-band 3G, just don't know if it is North American frequencies you require.

Old 20-11-2009, 02:48 AM

Neero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Wait. The N97 Mini is the best? How can this be decided when the phone is not even released globally? The N97 is a seriously large piece of crap. I guess that would make the N97 Mini a turd. The iPhone is marginally better but it functions quite well for the purpose that it is suited and marketed. Whomever decided the Mini is the best is an idiot.
I would agree if the award was done in the USA but it is not.

If everyone just read the article and not just the headline, you will see that Steve is not the one who gave the award. It is the "Asia Mobile Awards 2009". Yes, it does say "Asia". They don't have to follow the trend in "USA" (ie iphone) because the have different needs.
Ads

Old 20-11-2009, 04:53 AM
Unregistered

USB on the wrong side of phone

The same mistake on the big N97 continues on it's Mini. Why would you ever put the power plug on the front side of the device when the tilt screen is open?!?! Can you imagine if you have to plug your laptop on the front? Seriously, just like the initial firmware, KB, and this USB position, did anyone use the device before sending the design off to the factory? Design Award?!

Old 20-11-2009, 11:43 AM

morpheus2702 is on a distinguished road
Smile

Steve is Big Brother, I am convinced. Not the Channel 4 variety of reality TV, but the Orwellian variety of propoganda mind-control machine.

Any award where a Nokia handset wins or something positive is said is posted. But any awards where Nokia doesn't doesn't garner the same attention...

Take the last month:

What Mobile awards - Nokia wins best manufacturer but HTC Hero wins best smartphone. Would lead to doublethink in the minds of the masses, class 'nonews'.
http://www.whatmobileawards.co.uk/ab...nners_are.html

Stuff awards - iPhone 3GS wins Readers Choice and Phone of the Year awards, HTC Hero awarded Gadget of the Year. Surpress coverage, will cause free thinking in mind of party members.
http://awards.stuff.tv/winners/2009

Mobile Choice awards - Samsung i8910 wins best Multimedia Phone. Term as nonews, Symbian cannot be seen to run better in phone other than a Nokia.
http://www.mobilechoiceuk.com/News/M...dia+Phone/4104

Last edited by morpheus2702; 20-11-2009 at 11:50 AM.

Old 20-11-2009, 12:24 PM
Unregistered

We can give THE BEST JOKERs OF THE CENTURY AWARD to those judges....

Old 20-11-2009, 03:43 PM

UKJeeper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by morpheus2702 View Post
Steve is Big Brother, I am convinced. Not the Channel 4 variety of reality TV, but the Orwellian variety of propoganda mind-control machine.

Any award where a Nokia handset wins or something positive is said is posted. But any awards where Nokia doesn't doesn't garner the same attention...

The first two i can understand not getting any AAS love (that sounds wrong, i know...) as they are not anything to do with Symbian.

But yeah, the third bit of news NOT getting mentioned here?

Old 20-11-2009, 03:55 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Fully agree, I just hadn't spotted that third item - I've been a bit busy trying to do 10 things at once - and Rafe's been away for the last fortnight - thanks for posting the link. I'll investigate further.

[later] That was 6 weeks ago, bit late for me post the news now. Rather than wait until AAS misses something, then wait a bit longer and call us out in retrospect, how about someone eagle-eyed actually emails us AT THE TIME? 8-) I would love to have posted about the i8910 winning something.

Last edited by slitchfield; 20-11-2009 at 03:58 PM.

Old 20-11-2009, 04:53 PM

UKJeeper is on a distinguished road
If i see anything symbian related i will try and let you know.

For starters: Ricky Cadden just tweeted that Nokia Messaging now works in the US.

Quote:
FYI, the United States has been turned on for Nokia Messaging - you don't need to do SMS provisioning anymore.

Old 20-11-2009, 11:50 PM

daos is on a distinguished road
The question is not which phone is the best year device, but WHY. The problem is IMHO there is no objective standards by which they measure the quality. Let say one judge prefers plastic materials, the other - metal, who is right?? The only, more or less, worthy indication for anything best is some breakthrough in technology, such as n95 at the beginning, Omnia HD, HTC HD2 etc. What is so special with n97 mini today?

Old 21-11-2009, 01:50 AM
silently-active

nice award

I agree about the mini, I think the mini SHOULD have been what the n97 was in the first place, not some buggy big brick. If they beefed up the memory - there wouldn't be any 'out of memory' errors. If they gave the phone more metal it wouldn't be so "plasticky". If they gave it kinetic scrolling from the start - people would have actually liked it more.

Lets face it - the n97 was "rushed" out the door to pose some kind of competition for the 3Gs. The mini, on the other hand, is the kind of product that nokia makes when they have time on their hands.

I just wish they didn't make it so brown... good that they have it in black too.

Old 22-11-2009, 12:14 AM
Unregistered

What surprises me the most is how far AAN is willing to DIG to give a good spin about anything Nokia. Real sad...

Old 22-11-2009, 08:26 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
What surprises me the most is how far AAN is willing to DIG to give a good spin about anything Nokia. Real sad...
It doesn't surprise me how low some saddos will go to have a dig at AAS.