All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 27-01-2010, 09:23 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Twitter applications for Symbian phones

When it comes to Twitter applications (perenially popular, it seems), Symbian and S60 have no shortage of choice. Guest author David Gilson has done a mass review of all the Twitter applications he could find for S60, and presents us with a detailed feature comparison, along with a number of recommendations.

Read on in the full article.

Old 27-01-2010, 09:36 AM
Camb078

Smile Dabr

You forgot Dabr ?
For me the best free Twitter app for my N97

Old 27-01-2010, 09:36 AM
imcdnzl

Agree Gravity is best, how about adding Snaptu

I agree Gravity totally rocks, and this is my main mobile client. However Snaptu has drawn my attention also and does a reasonable job - it does a number of things and well worth adding to table IMHO

Old 27-01-2010, 10:08 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Hah - David, you just knew some extra contenders would get 'added'!!! - back to your table for a version 2 next week?

8-)

Old 27-01-2010, 10:22 AM

Micky! is on a distinguished road
There are a few missing from your collection too.

TMN Pond, which has a lot of potential.
TweetBreeze, which is kind of like a Beta at the moment, but both are available for free in Ovi Store.

Good article.

Old 27-01-2010, 11:54 AM

Nick17 is on a distinguished road
Gravity does hide avatars and some things more.. not mentioned..

Janole is working on import from bookmarks and url-shortener..

Old 27-01-2010, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

timsalmon is on a distinguished road
Great review and table David - your research is appreciated. I find that I lean towards 'simpler' Twitter apps but do like to be able to post photos on-the-fly. That cuts out half the contenders. And if you want kinetic scrolling, there's only one left! I'm happy to use Gravity though don't use half the features - and I agree about porting across to new devices - the Nimbuzz model works very well here with 'sign-in' on their server, not device, so it doesn't need all setting up again.

Tim

Old 27-01-2010, 12:11 PM
Unregistered

Just my view

Slightly off topic I use twitter alot and recently brought an N97 Mini and installed Tweets60, but I got frustrated when scrolling tweets with the hestitation and jerky scrollin, I put this down to the N97 being as rubbish as everyone said but 2 days ago I installed Gravity on a trial and the whole phone suddenly felt responsive and slick (I know only when I was tweeting but it was a lot of the days usage). What I trying to say are some apps better written and if so does this taint an experience of a phone when (lets say)inferior apps are used in a phone from new.

Old 27-01-2010, 12:26 PM

stirly is on a distinguished road
Excellent review David and the table idea is very clear to read and understand.

Now, if only someone would do the same to find out what is the best Symbian RSS Reader!!

Old 27-01-2010, 01:21 PM
Unregistered

"What I trying to say are some apps better written and if so does this taint an experience of a phone when (lets say)inferior apps are used in a phone from new."

I think so. Just compare Gravity with the email client of NokiaMessaging. It's like two different worlds.

If the system software of the N97 would be as fast and slick as Gravity you'd have another, better, user experience entirely.

Old 27-01-2010, 02:07 PM
expalmandse

You missed Twibble! Important difference

I began using Twibble last year in my E71 and was very good. I picked it up from a comparison table (http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...JEwZK7tqd8Debg) I cannot remember from which blog came, probably E71Fanatics or NokiaAddict (sorry if I'm wrong). It was the 3rd after Gravity and Twittix, and the 1st free.
I moved to Gravity when Twibble became paid, and have missed it.
Twibble was fast and readable, with functions I did use. Gravity looks is better and has more functions but drains too much battery and has a important negative issue: when one opens a link it misleads the system to think that the browser is Gravity, with the consequence that one cannot switch back and forth between the twitter timeline and whatever links you have opened (can be more than one in Twibble). To come back to the timeline one needs to close the browser! Thus, Gravity does not allow me to follow the timeline independent from my reading of the external links. For me that is a mayor drawback

Halfway solution has been to copy links onto clipboard to open with Opera (less than ideal solution)

Old 27-01-2010, 02:40 PM

Gabeuk is on a distinguished road
@dabr for me too. Simple, efficient.

Old 27-01-2010, 05:43 PM

davidgilson is on a distinguished road
Hello everyone,
Thanks for the comments. I see there are a lot more Twitter clients.

I'll begin testing ...

Also, S60 RSS Readers, good idea. I'd be willing to give those a similar treatment. However, this time, if any of you have an application you'd like including, please let me know in advance!

Old 27-01-2010, 10:19 PM

davidgilson is on a distinguished road
Okay folks,
The S60 Twitter grid will be back, but next time I think it might be too large to fit on the website. So I think we might be having a PNG or PDF download instead.

Depending on my schedule it will be published any time in the next four weeks, I'll be adding more than the five apps/services mentioned here too!

I also want to state that some errors crept in and J1ck.tweet ended up being four points short of what it should have been, robbing it of third place. I've already spoken to them about this, but apologies to all you readers too. Although for the next grid, we'll have J1ck.tweet v2.0 to look at.

With all the new additions, I can already see there is going to be a BIG mix up to the rankings. I already have a new second place winner!

Old 28-01-2010, 01:33 AM

rvirga is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the table!
There are two rows that you might want to add in the next version:
- Geolocation tagging
- Native re-tweet
They are both Twitter features which have been introduced fairly recently (in August and November, respectively).
Ads