All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

Old 15-02-2010, 12:32 PM
Ye Olde Administratorium

Ewan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to behold
Nokia and Intel collaborate and create the Meego platform.

Nokia and Intel’s creation of Meego, from the Maemo and Moblin projects, is a big move, from both companies, and we’ll be covering the announcement and further thoughts over on All About Maemo. This should make Nokia’s strategy over the mid term a little clearer, and perhaps answers the question of what the future is for the Nokia Booklet. Apart from that pesky GMA500 graphics chip, Meego should run “out of the box” on the Booklet when it makes an appearance in Q2.

Read on in the full article.

Old 15-02-2010, 12:49 PM
meepuuh

MeeGo?? what a stupid fucking name! did they pull that one out of that fat ass that was on stage from intel?

whats the point anyway of partnering up with Intel and merge moblin into maemo? can anyone do an intelligent analysis on this one?

Yes gimme MeeGoo to run my toaster of the future

Old 15-02-2010, 01:10 PM
MOC

:)

@meepuh

Hahaha!

How did you respond to "iPad"?

Old 15-02-2010, 01:19 PM

svdwal is on a distinguished road
Apparently lots of people think there's room in the market between the smartphone and the laptop. And more interestingly, there's room for another platform there too, or so it seems with Meego/Maemo/Moblin.

Was there any news about sideloading, i.e. installing apps that are not bought or downloaded for free through Ovi, or other app stores? Is everybody now trying to mimic Apple and their iTunes economy?

Old 15-02-2010, 01:27 PM
meepuuh

@MOC

well dont get me started, but i can tell you i'd take the iPad name anyday over MeeGo!! But you're right thats another horrible name! But MeeGo has got to be the worst ever!

why not integrate moblin and still keep the name of maemo even though i've never been a fan of that name either but i've come to live with it, just like 'ovi' another stupid name. I dont get it, what did Intel offer Nokia to merge moblin with maemo? I mean what the hell is moblin? On what device did it ever run on? Until today it was about as irrelevant as that fat ass lady's under panties.

Old 15-02-2010, 01:29 PM

rvirga is on a distinguished road
So let's take Maemo, which is GTK-based, and Moblin, which is also GTK-based, and let's merge them together into MeeGo, which will be Qt-based. Wait, what?

Last edited by rvirga; 15-02-2010 at 01:36 PM.

Old 15-02-2010, 01:32 PM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
Lets please leave the branding / naming to those guys and be concerned about the quality we are going to get. Dont think having a fantastic name will give any guarantees on us getting a wonderful product.
Ads

Old 15-02-2010, 04:22 PM
Unregistered

i'm running MeeGo yeeeaaaahhh! what about you? YuGo?

Old 15-02-2010, 05:18 PM
Ye Olde Administratorium

Ewan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to behold
Saner,

Certainy Moblin 2.1 at the moment supports sideloading - I have a version running on my netbook - you can add yoru own repositories or install regular .deb files. I'd *assume* this would stay.
-- Twitter: @ewan

Old 16-02-2010, 01:57 AM
Unregistered

A great Linux Desktop OS backed up by some big boys. This is "The destop OS" to standardize Linux for the mainstream consumer. Forget the name dude and let's see the game.

Old 16-02-2010, 02:29 AM
Unregistered

MeeGo? What a stupid name. It sounds like a child's potty training seat that you would buy from Toys R Us.

As far as the OS itself, until we see it on handsets, it's pretty much vaporware at this point.

I need a new phone and I'm getting awfully impatient waiting for Nokia to come up with a compelling product. The N97 and N900 just got obsoleted/knee-capped today, so those are no longer an option.

Increasingly looking at Android, maybe the X10.