All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 16-08-2006, 06:34 PM

Jellybean28 is on a distinguished road
N73 PC software not recognising N73 when connected

Help, I've only had this phone for 5 days and I'm stuck.

I have loaded the CD software for the Nokia PC suite to my computer, I then as direct connect the N73 via cable to the pc - the pc itself recognises the new hardware and autostarts the 'windows new software wizard' application on my pc, this trys to search for the software (drivers?) that I need to install to get the phone connected. I thought this would have installed when I installed all the software from the CD?

the windows wizard can't find the drivers required even if I try to get it to search the already installed nokia software or the CD itself !

The nokia PC suite shows no phone connected but the phone itself asks me how I want to connect (the 4 options one being PC suite)

what am I doing wrong??

I've phoned Vodafone who told me to de install the software and turn off all security settings which I've done but the software still doesn't recognise the phone !

Old 16-08-2006, 06:53 PM

nj7 is on a distinguished road
Remove all PCSuite. Use a regclean program, and clean all PCSuite entries related. Reboot. Then install again.

Old 16-08-2006, 07:45 PM

Still not working

OK I've done that, deinstalled, got the programme which found loads of errors but not to do with the Nokia software, reinstalled and I still can't conntect.

The new software wizard states it cannot find the software on the computer.

I've opened the read me files from the CD and it seems to list all nokia phone models apart from the N73 - does this mean it's the CD at fault as it's not compatiable with the N73?

Old 16-08-2006, 07:57 PM

Maybe... Go to Nokia Site and download the last version, and try again...

Old 16-08-2006, 08:33 PM

just done that and still no joy !

Really begining to regret getting this phone If i can't even transfer files to / from my PC.

Old 16-08-2006, 08:43 PM

Calm... i think for my self an N73 too. Seems to be a good phone. And if work well for others, should work also for You. Something is different, on Your system or phone. But always have a solution.
You have a lot of things inside phone? Any weird installation?
Already have rebbot the phone after all installation on PC?
Try go to to windows - control panel - system - search for usb nokia cable and remove the driver, and force windows to cath again that driver.
And now?

Old 17-08-2006, 05:05 AM

N/A is on a distinguished road
If your PC gives a hard time for PC Suite (works fine on my PC), you can connect the phone in "Data transfer" mode (= USB mass storage class mode). That way the memory card in the phone will appear as a regular drive and you can copy files back and forth.

Old 17-08-2006, 08:08 AM

dabomb665m is on a distinguished road
Seems like you are missing a very obvious step here. As soon as you plug the usb cable into the computer and onto the phone, the N73 should give you a menu to select what you are trying to do with the phone. Select PC Suite if you want to connect to nokia PC suite or select mass storage to use it as a thumb drive. If you don't do either of these, nothing will happen and no drivers will be found. Good luck

Old 02-10-2006, 08:56 PM

DOC_G is on a distinguished road
Hi Folks,I've got a similar problem with my N73.btw I'm new to all this as this is my first ever mobile so go easy on me!

I love this phone but I'm having this same connection problem, I tried all the fixes but nothing seemed to work although the problem is actually INTERMITTANT! Note intermittant is the key word!!! Sometimes my phone will connect to the pc suite and i can back up, sync and use all the functions normally but this is only about 1 in every 30 or so attempts to connect and the usual result is an error message "usb device not recognised" from windows.
In my experience of using PCs intermittant connection errors are usually caused by faulty hardware or dodgy firmware and in fact I have noticed that if i joggle the phone or cable while I'm connected to PC Suite the phone becomes disconnected. So I'm pretty sure the fault lies in the poor connectivity cable socket on the phone which doesn't grip the plug securely or provide a very positive snap-in when you plug it in. This is bad news as only cure is to keep replacing phone until u get one with a good socket!
It may be that other nokia devices suffer a similar problem
I have since found that if i grip the phone firmly while it is resting on the tabletop and then insert the cable very gently but firmly and continue to hold it steady whilst selecting "PC Suite" mode and pressing the accept button it successfully picks up the phone almost every time. It seems a pity that nokia should use such a poor socket in a high end phone like this, if only they had used a standard miniusb connection!!!
hope this is of some use

cheers DOC_G

Old 01-11-2006, 09:58 PM

Martin_F is on a distinguished road
>So I'm pretty sure the fault lies in the poor connectivity cable socket on the >phone which doesn't grip the plug securely or provide a very positive snap-in >when you plug it in
I have the same problem but I'm hoping that it's the cable at fault, not the socket (I don't want to have to return the phone). When the connection is good, sync works fine. Out of interest, Windows device manager shows that "no USB modem driver is installed"... just another problem with the N73......

Old 29-08-2007, 11:25 PM

solutn_provider is on a distinguished road
here is your solution provider

as simple as can be...

just disconnect the data cable from CPU if connected and restart your phone. reconnect the cable and u r on it...

its your phone who kept messing

Old 04-09-2007, 07:29 AM

psychofart is on a distinguished road
did all the above mentioned people with trouble tried doing a mix-n-match???

1. your pc, other peoples n73
2. other peoples pc, your n73
3. your cable, other peoples n73
4. other peoples cable, your n73

Old 05-09-2007, 09:05 PM

thezero is on a distinguished road
i hade a similar problem too with my n73...and it keeps coming back...
i had to reinstall the pc suite a few time...and it solved the problem...

Old 12-03-2008, 10:53 PM

BlindOwl is on a distinguished road
Problem is to do with connector

You don't need to re-install anything.

The problem is usually with the phone connector. Disconnect the phone, go into the device manager and delete the N73 Device.

Make sure your phone is on General profile and CAREFULLY clean and re-connect the phone connector.

It will then work.
Ads

Old 17-03-2008, 08:47 PM

Drofidnas is on a distinguished road
Likely a duff connection

1. Always have the latest PC suite version. CDs bundled in the box can be out of date. Download the latest from Nokia (currently 6.85).

2. (and this was my cure for my intermittent connection) Clean your phone pins, first with a toothbrush (dry, no paste.. ) and then with a scalpel or similar fine, sharp object gently (gently.. you're not engraving here) scrape at the pins to remove any still-accumulated crap and expose some bare metal.

3. Clean your cable pins, again with the toothbrush and lightly (you're not filing nails) rough the ends of the pins with a fine emery board again to expose some bare metal and improve contact.

If you find you're having to bend the cable left or right to achieve a good connection chances are you have dirty pins and the above 2 and 3 will cure it.

Cheers.