All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 29-12-2008, 02:13 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Taking the Grid into 2009...

I finally found time to take my Smartphone Choosing Grid into 2009, adding devices like the Nokia N96, Nokia 5800 XpressMusic, HTC Touch HD, Blackberry Storm and T-Mobile G1 into the mix. As usual, simply tick your preferences and have your perfect smartphone picked for you! How accurate is it now? Feedback welcomed below...

Read on in the full article.

Old 29-12-2008, 03:29 PM

Cjp is on a distinguished road
yet again your grid is telling me to get an e71.once silly season is over with i think im going to have to stump up and get 1.my tytn2/vario3 is right down at the bottom of the list beaten into last place by the g1.despite the wm6 pedigree i still pick up an s60 device to do the serious stuff with.obviously wm just isnt quite there yet.

Old 29-12-2008, 09:23 PM

NickAnstee is on a distinguished road
Steve,

Works for me, my E90 came out top for me followed by the E71. I can't think of any phone I would rather have at the moment over my E90, I would be lost without it.

Thanks by the way to you and all the team at AAS for you efforts throughout the year, Best Regards Nick.

Old 30-12-2008, 06:36 AM

sandy_1988 is on a distinguished road
The ratings that you gave to each phone in each department, lack cohesiveness imho. For example, in gaming, iPhone is 10, while N95 8GB is 9? After all, it's all about graphics in iPhone games, bad gameplay, and lack of depth in gameplay, simply mars the gaming the gaming experience. A better option would have been - N95 8GB - 9 (if the screen resolution goes against it) or 10, and iPhone - 7.

Old 30-12-2008, 08:34 AM

Williamoni is on a distinguished road
Steve - I'd like to see the N85 included in this test. Perhaps it could replace the N95 classic?

Old 30-12-2008, 08:43 AM
Administrator

@William: yes, on the next update

@sandy: you've not played many iPhone games, have you? If I'd been able to, I would have given the iPhone 12 in this dept. Titles like 'Xplane' and 'Fastlane' are miles ahead of anything on S60.

Old 30-12-2008, 01:54 PM

daos is on a distinguished road
Steve,
First of all, i don't understand why to put into the Grid similar Touch HD and Daimond and skip Touch Pro which gains a lot with its memory card, video out and super keyboard. And from here i'll relate my notes to touch pro.
1. Agenda, PIM, email etc. - via 3rd party applications has at least same points as e71, IMHO
2. Web browsing - opera, netfront, etc. - at least same points as Iphone
3. Word processing - again via 3rd party applications (softoffice) - much better then e71
4. Video playback - the ability to playback 700 or even 1400 mb standard divx file right from torrent - how many points is this?
5. Standalone compatibility* - if you mean PC SUITE and Activesync - then WM - much better - for instance ability to have internet on mobile via AS etc.
6. Text entry speed - at least the same as E90
7. Size of third party software catalog - IMHO i insist (as before) that 3rd party soft catalog much bigger and much more variable for WM then for other mobile OSes
8. One handed operation? - at least the same as nokia 5800, but if to use sensor areas, that touch pro has (as daimond) around hardware buttons - even better then 5800 (via 3rd party).

Old 30-12-2008, 02:10 PM
Administrator

Good point - you know, in my zeal to get this up, I totally forgot about the Touch Pro! I'll add it in the next few days... Thanks for the comments!

Old 30-12-2008, 02:33 PM

Cjp is on a distinguished road
what difference will adding the touch pro make?its only an upgraded tytn2 all said and done.so as the post suggests taking the grid into 2009 then you should remove the tytn from it.

Old 31-12-2008, 05:57 AM

sandy_1988 is on a distinguished road
I might not have played all iPhone games, but all of those I played (almost 15-20) sucked in terms of gameplay, content, depth, and what not.I found only the graphics to be impressive, but, personal choices should be there, I must admit.
Ads

Old 31-12-2008, 01:35 PM

lookatbowen is on a distinguished road
Red face N95 still rules.

It's good to see that the Nokia N95 (one of the oldest smartphones around) can still muster up a deserving 3rd place. If this were the Olympics of Smartphones, a bronze medal is far better than 12th out of 15 (ha ha ha iPhone = loser phone).

Last edited by lookatbowen; 31-12-2008 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Error in text!

Old 05-01-2009, 12:56 PM

Dogmann is on a distinguished road
Hi all,

Well for the first time my results were well off the mark with putting the E71 as what should be the best device for me yet in the real world i just don't rate it at all. I had one on trial and was lets say far from impressed and won't repeat the many reasons yet again. In the second position was the N95 8GB and 3rd a E90.

Well out of those three the E90 would still be my number one choice for now and the E71 wouldn't even be considered as for the N95 8GB had one so long ago and the lack of QWERTY rules it out completely for me.

No surprise that since selling my E90 i am currently not using an S60 device as IMO Nokia had a poor year in 2008 for offering the type of device i want. I am patently waiting for a E90 replacement with a next generation processor and all the advances that should bring and have fought off the urge to buy an E90 once more although if nothing arrives within the first six months of 2009 i may finally weaken as lets face it the E90 is still one of the most powerful smart phones out there even with it's minor niggles. Oh and currently I'm using a BB Bold with the latest Beta firmware and it's an amazing device and in all but build materials leagues ahead of the E71 in virtually all that it does well it is IMO anyway and that's all that counts for me.

Marc