All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 05-01-2010, 08:08 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
How to: Get faster GPS locks - and how to stay patient when you can't

GPS, like many modern technologies, is often taken for granted. Yet it's quite a bit more fragile, in terms of operation, than you might think. Here are some facts and tips that may help your own smartphone GPS experience.

Read on in the full article.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:23 AM
Unregistered

Steve, when you say "PAYG users don't worry about the data cost it's only a few kb" you would do well to consider how some PAYG schemes work. In some cases, once you use any kind of data service you ae hit for the full cost of data use to whatever limit they give.

Anyway, my answer to all of the above is to dump the phone GPS and just use a proper dedicated satnav unit. I'll never go back except in emergencies.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:39 AM
Administrator

[comment deleted, see below for more accurate info!]

Last edited by slitchfield; 05-01-2010 at 10:45 AM.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:43 AM
Unregistered

And once again Singapore remains an oddity in that I can obtain 0 GPS lock with AGPS after 10minutes at where I live, and if I just travelled ~8km into the city, I get near instant lock (~5 sec at cold boot) of 9 GPSes.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:13 AM

daos is on a distinguished road
Here we go. Since i've Omnia HD, even cold start is no more then 10 sec, a warm one is always instant, regardless of area (mountains, town etc.).

Old 05-01-2010, 09:15 AM

GavW is on a distinguished road
(Relatively) expensive data

I have recently discovered that Virgin Mobile charges for its data as described by "unregistered @ 8:23". I got my mum a 5800 on contract from them. It's her only phone so needed plenty of minutes and they do have some great deals. However, there data is charged at 30p/day irrespective of the amount you use (capped to 25MB/day).

Now of course that's not going to break the bank (and the rest of the tariff really suits her needs) but the extra 5-6 on the first few bills was a bit of shock to us both - especially as she was only using it to get an aGPS link.

Gav

PS - just to second Steve's recommendation of Maps Booster. I've got it on my N97 and it works flawlessly. Best 3 I've spent at the Ovi Store

Old 05-01-2010, 09:18 AM

GavW is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by daos View Post
Here we go. Since i've Omnia HD, even cold start is no more then 10 sec, a warm one is always instant, regardless of area (mountains, town etc.).
Out of curiosity, do you know if the Omnia HD includes the Skyhook/Map Booster WiFi based system out of the box? Or did Samsung just put a better GPS aerial in there? :-)

Old 05-01-2010, 09:20 AM
Administrator

Re: Virgin data - I stand corrected. Crazy system though. ***See below for more on this****

re: i8910 HD, no, it simply has a great GPS antenna. But then you'd hope so - the thing is large enough 8-)

Last edited by slitchfield; 05-01-2010 at 10:43 AM.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:26 AM
Unregistered

data

I believe that Vodafone also do this if you don't have an internet bundle on a typical contract - you pay something like 50p when you use *any* data and that covers you up to 200MB or so but only for that day. After midnight you pay again. I'm not sure about PAYG though.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:58 AM
Unregistered

Yep. T-Mobile as well. Use 1 byte of data and pay the whole quid for the day. If you have the 5 day deal (2.50) it's the whole 2.50.

I think it happens more often than our Guru thinks.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:36 AM
Administrator

OK, I stand corrected on the data front. Even my beloved Vodafone pay as you go seems to have changed the way it charges data as well. It used to be per kilobyte up to the min per day - now it seems to be 50p per day for any use as well!!!

8-(((

This info changes quite a lot, IMHO - maybe the networks are trying to force us towards contracts. And yes, this info does rather make using Assisted GPS for occasional fixes relatively expensive. Hmmm...

Last edited by slitchfield; 05-01-2010 at 10:43 AM.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:40 AM
Unregistered

http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/services/u...WT.mc_id=price

Summary of changes
From 26th September we're making the cost of browsing the whole Internet on your phone with web'n'walk simpler. Rather than pay for the amount you download until you spend 1, there will be a simple daily fee of 1 which gives you 24 hours unlimited browsing.
Ads

Old 05-01-2010, 11:16 AM
Administrator

"simpler" = making more money from us 8-(

I'm appalled at the way Vodafone changed the way they billed data to my payg account *without telling me*. Must have been in the very small print etc. And I was wondering why my credit had been going down so fast..... Gah.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:46 AM

buxz777 is on a distinguished road
i think nokia just need to update their chipsets

when you compare the samsung i8910 to any of the latest nokia in terms of gps capabillities the samsung walks all over them

its a shame as gps can be really good in phones yet we are allways making excuses saying its probably the clouds or iam holding it at the wrong angle , well iam sorry with a sensitive gps chip them things shouldnt come into play

i just loaded garmin on my i8910 and instantly indoors all the bars went green

even on the 1st start with agps on it took around 10-25 seconds to get lock

it outperforms any dedicated sat nav ive used as it has agps and the chip is just as sensitive as any tomtom etc

iam sitting here now on the ground floor in my sitting room surrounded by daouble glazing and double brick walls with another floor above me and then a roof and loft with insualtion and iam getting a 12m-17m accuarcy range which is pretty dam good

i hope nokia follow samsungs suit and start using better gps chipsets , i think the last nokia for me to have amazing gps quality was the n96 it seems to have gone backwards from there

Old 05-01-2010, 12:25 PM
Unregistered

In my experience using GPS units, phones or dedicated models, the best and fastest way to get a lock is to turn on the unit and sit there a minute. It is harder to get a lock while moving.