All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 17-02-2010, 03:20 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
The Fairest Fight (Update): Samsung i8910 HD vs Google Nexus One vs Nokia N97

A month ago, I pitched the (then) brand new Google Nexus One against the Symbian-powered Samsung i8910 HD, a very close match in terms of form factor and specifications, concluding along similar lines - there was little to choose between them. But with the advancement of the original Nokia N97, a i8910 HD comtemporary, with its new v21 firmware and with hardware issues now largely fixed, I wondered how the N97 would fare when gently pushed into the same hardware-accelerated playground....

Read on in the full article.

Old 17-02-2010, 03:59 PM
Unregistered

I have heard that Android phone (may be 1.6 version) has to install many application before you can really use the phone like the app to turn off the screen when calling. Does this still apply on Nexus One?

Old 17-02-2010, 04:02 PM

UKJeeper is on a distinguished road
As a Hacking Loving i8910 Freak, I want to argue. I really do.

I could raise the point that Custom roms give nearly 80mb of space instead of the measly 17mb of the OEM.
That Ovi Maps 3.03 works just fine on the i8910, as do most of the Nokia/Ovi products and Ovi store..... If you just know how .
That spare batteries can be obtained for free by calling Samsung support and claiming that your battery only lasts 1/2 a day. :another wink:

But i can't. Samsung has shown us an icy cold shoulder. Arguably the best piece of hardware to run 5th edition has been shanked by the manufacturer and left to die. Life support is being administered by Hyper-x and the other unsung heroes, but essentially "if it wasn't nailed to the perch"...

Not that The N97/Mini and the Nexus haven't been without their own issues, but their manufacturers are behind both the hardware and the OS. There's some tangible level of support for their product Stop sniggering at the back, its true!

XXJB1 was probably the final kick in the teeth for the i8910 owners. Samsung's not going to try to fix the i8910. So i'm not standing in its corner either.

Now where's my Gmail login....?

Old 17-02-2010, 04:27 PM

dlff is on a distinguished road
I have a N97 Mini & a SE Satio. The Satio has been upgraded but is still not perfect. As for the N97 Mini I have not upgraded to the v.11 as of now & it will be done next week. I am disappointed with both phones to say the least. As such I am digging out my trusted N86-8mp to use.

After having used both phones with Symbian touchscreen OS & I must say is still not perfect & lots of rough edges need to be polished.

I am seriously looking at the Nexus one phone to replace these two phones until Nokia comes out with an improved version of the S60 touchscreen OS later this year.

Old 17-02-2010, 04:39 PM
Unregistered

Hyperx's firmwares suck. I don't know why you praise them so much.

What I don't like about Steve's phone 'fights' are that they're a bit unrealistic and don't really do justice to real life. It's like you assume that once I buy the phone, that's how I'm going to use it - in the same state as when it came out of the box. Meh.

Also, your comment about the i8910 being unknown outside of Italy is just... silly. I'm sorry, but it really is.

"Most users resort to Google maps"? I wonder how you know this despite you not knowing that the i8910 is available officially in many countries around the world.
Ads

Old 17-02-2010, 05:31 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
>>Hyperx's firmwares suck. I don't know why you praise them so much.

Have never praised him/them. But in the face of unusable firmware from Samsung, it seems that the custom firmware route is the only viable one for owners.

>>What I don't like about Steve's phone 'fights' are that they're a bit unrealistic and don't really do justice to real life. It's like you assume that once I buy the phone, that's how I'm going to use it

I like to think that I put a LOT of my real world experience into my text though. And there's no point in looking at *fully* tricked out/pimped devices, since most users won't even get closer to that state. I just include any obvious upgrades/downloads that a new user would be aware of.

>>Also, your comment about the i8910 being unknown outside of Italy is just... silly. I'm sorry, but it really is.

I exagerated a little. I've clarified the text above.

>>"Most users resort to Google maps"? I wonder how you know this

Well, as Route 66 was taken down ages ago, what else is available to fill the gap that's freely available?

Old 17-02-2010, 06:41 PM
KPOM

Something worth pointing out is that those of us in the US do get free navigation with Google Maps on the Nexus One. I like Ovi Maps' more efficient use of data, but overall Google Maps Navigation works pretty well on Android, and it integrates extremely well with other included applications like the Calendar or Contacts. I can click on an address in a Calendar entry or Contact and can navigate to it. It's also pretty easy to create shortcuts on the home screens of the device to any location. IIRC, Ovi Maps had a "navigate home" feature but I don't think it was possible to put the shortcut on the home screen. Perhaps that changed with 3.3?

Old 17-02-2010, 06:51 PM

paker is on a distinguished road
Nice pics!

Old 17-02-2010, 07:33 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPOM View Post
Something worth pointing out is that those of us in the US do get free navigation with Google Maps on the Nexus One. I like Ovi Maps' more efficient use of data, but overall Google Maps Navigation works pretty well on Android, and it integrates extremely well with other included applications like the Calendar or Contacts. I can click on an address in a Calendar entry or Contact and can navigate to it. It's also pretty easy to create shortcuts on the home screens of the device to any location. IIRC, Ovi Maps had a "navigate home" feature but I don't think it was possible to put the shortcut on the home screen. Perhaps that changed with 3.3?
I tried to use Google maps today and it was quite literally unusable. Until maps can be pre-loaded it is the loser. Even with the strongest 3.5G connection, it couldn't load the maps quick enough and the blank greyness I was navigating through did not match my true surroundings.

Old 17-02-2010, 08:08 PM

Tenkom is on a distinguished road
The n97 has crappy codec support. As does all symbian devices except the i8910, iphone and android. None of them can play divx or xvid which means that whatever you download is gonna have to be converted so you may as well convert to whatever codec your phone does well. Does anyone use wmv? On 3rd edition you can install coreplayer. But none of them has the power to play back vids smoothly.

Old 17-02-2010, 09:18 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenkom View Post
The n97 has crappy codec support. As does all symbian devices except the i8910, iphone and android. None of them can play divx or xvid which means that whatever you download is gonna have to be converted so you may as well convert to whatever codec your phone does well. Does anyone use wmv? On 3rd edition you can install coreplayer. But none of them has the power to play back vids smoothly.
BBC iPlayer videos work very smoothly.

Old 17-02-2010, 09:39 PM
KPOM

YMMV, but I've had good luck with Google Maps. I would definitely prefer downloadable maps, but in NY/NJ the maps have loaded just fine. I like how it switches to a street view when you arrive at the destination. In any case, even if a map doesn't fully load, the directions do. Don't get me wrong, there is definitely an advantage to Ovi Maps, but Google Maps Navigation is usable.

Old 17-02-2010, 09:54 PM
Are

Ridiculous

This is silly. Being a N97 owner and early adoptor, and having owned a N82 for 1,5 years before that - ie as a Nokia fanby - I have to say the only compelling reason to prefer the N97 over the Nexus One is the keyboard. And that is that. In every other aspect Google's phone is superior. I have several colleagues who have N1s and have toyed quite a bit with their phones.

My N97 needs nightly charging, it is not stable, and I have even managed to crack the screen on it somehow - without putting it under a lot of strain. Cost me 130 USD to fix.

In terms of build quality and user experience is not in the same league as the Nexus One, with keyboard input being the sole exception. Sad - but true.

Old 17-02-2010, 10:08 PM
Unregistered

"Video capture is high quality at VGA with good audio"

I want to know if you are sure about this Steve because with my N97 Nam version, my audio quality is low even with the new v21 firmware, still low, I've even had my phone hacked with PNHT hack & the audio quality is still low so I want to know if it is just the Nam version or I need my ears checked... By the way, I do love this comparison & yes, Samsung i8910 really is the best s60 5th but without backing from Samsung, the device is quite useless...

Old 17-02-2010, 10:15 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPOM View Post
YMMV, but I've had good luck with Google Maps. I would definitely prefer downloadable maps, but in NY/NJ the maps have loaded just fine. I like how it switches to a street view when you arrive at the destination. In any case, even if a map doesn't fully load, the directions do. Don't get me wrong, there is definitely an advantage to Ovi Maps, but Google Maps Navigation is usable.
Nope. In remote areas where there is no signal (which usually are the areas where nav is most useful) there are no maps. Waste of time. Great for NY/NJ. Crap in most of the world.

Unusable.