All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

Old 01-06-2010, 07:49 AM

miki69 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by slitchfield View Post
My problem with the video is that it's all a bit boring -90% of the excitement in the N8 is in its hardware... Let's hope that the focus of at least one of the remaining two videos changes to look at the USPs in the hardware rather than the detailed changes in the software....
my sentiments exactly (different wording at Nokia Conversations). It did start well with those widgets, but then guy just fly-by over menus...lame! We need more "in-depth" attention to new features, kind of what's really new/better comparing to old OS. Also no rotation during video, I want to know has fast device is with rotation, any lags there. What the free memory after few apps opened....Can't wait for part 2 and 3.

I'm not a huge fan of Apple's awesome, incredible, amazing... (check this video, rather funny http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx7v815bYUw), but maybe Nokia needs it (at least to some extent).

Cheers,
Miki

Last edited by miki69; 01-06-2010 at 07:53 AM.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:04 AM
Unregistered

I own a Desire and as a media phone it truly is fantastic, but i'm pretty sure its htc sense and not android that i love.
But as a work horse the desire cannot match the simplicity and usability of my e71, the battery life for a start.
i wonder where Nokia are going with this, as a multimedia experience the androids and the iphone will hammer this, with a keyboard i may be tempted but there are better touch screen options around.

Nokia in my opinion should look at the hole in the market between enterprise and consumer which used to be occupied by Windows and make devices to suit.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:25 AM

buster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Interesting comments about the UI not being impressive enough. What phone UI is? What really matters is if the UI is effective.
My feeling exactly. I mean, look at the iPhone/iPod Touch basic UI; what you are presented with is simply a grid of icons. Where's the Today screen, where's the organisation? My E90's home screen is way more useful than my iPod Touch Home screen...

Old 01-06-2010, 09:15 AM

brendand is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy1 View Post
The UI looks okay, but sort of 'blah'; not bad, just a tad dull. I don't see much of a 'Wow, cool' factor.

More worrisome though is that the device seems a bit stuttery and laggy, almost like a Windows Mobile phone.
Please point out where the "lag" is in the video. Also, are you telling me either Android or iPhone have a 'Wow, cool! factor"?
Ads

Old 01-06-2010, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendand View Post
Please point out where the "lag" is in the video.
You could argue that a 5 second "Processing" message when adding a background image to a home screen is too long...

Old 01-06-2010, 09:36 AM
Unregistered

Let's hope for all nokia's quest to take on a and defeat apple, they don't forget the vast majority of their customers require a robust device that lasts a full day on a full charge and does communications well...yeah things like talking, mailing , texting seem to be forgotten these days hence Blackberry continues to grow, how many teenagers do you see in london now with blackberrys? see it doesn't always just have to look pretty.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buster View Post
You could argue that a 5 second "Processing" message when adding a background image to a home screen is too long...
So how fast should a mobile phone scale 4000x3000 to 640x360?? Show me an Android phone that can do that.. In fact, the Droid that I had took 5 seconds to save a bloody contact, never mind scale a 12 megapixel image.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:59 AM
Unregistered

I don't see any lag at all. Probably not as polished and smooth as the iphone but fast enough. You'd probably see it if you don't have a life!

Old 01-06-2010, 10:07 AM

clonmult is on a distinguished road
Quote:
So how fast should a mobile phone scale 4000x3000 to 640x360?? Show me an Android phone that can do that.. In fact, the Droid that I had took 5 seconds to save a bloody contact, never mind scale a 12 megapixel image.
Well said.

Try opening a 12mp image on *any* phone, see how well it copes.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:14 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I don't see any lag at all. Probably not as polished and smooth as the iphone but fast enough. You'd probably see it if you don't have a life!
Only the 3GS is really smooth, my iPhone 3G is frequently laggy and slow in the UI. Sometimes painfully so.

It does seem that other phones are allowed to have these faults, but if it happens on a Nokia it's a disaster and the end of the world.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:18 AM
Unregistered

the difference is apple have their flock trained well, there just happy to own it, mms nah, bluetooth nah, video capture nah, 3g nah, name another manufacterer that could have got away with that.

unfortunatley thats now why Nokia not just have to be good they must look good too no free pass for poor ole nokia

Old 01-06-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clonmult View Post
Well said.

Try opening a 12mp image on *any* phone, see how well it copes.
I venture this is one of the reasons why Apple decided to go with relatively low megapixel cameras on their devices. If you wish to interpret processing a large image as 'lag' then maybe you'd like to set your camera to a lower resolution?

Old 01-06-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Who said it was a 12MP photo, or did I miss something in the video?

Old 01-06-2010, 10:28 AM
Unregistered

Intelligent Error Correction When Texting

Is there intelligent error correction while texting? Omg i hope so .. my intermediate 5230 sorely lacks it!

All in all it looks very good and after the usual 2-3 major updates it should be a solid performer! though I might opt for the E7-00 instead - any news on when announcement/availability is?

Sidenote: This is not CGI/rendered as suggested by unregistered. Very clearly true phone interaction.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:29 AM

miki69 is on a distinguished road
it wasn't 12MP image, more like one of those preloaded images that comes with phone, and they are quite small in size (at least with N86). I'm very curious how fast will be gallery browsing once you have hundreds of 3-4MB images inside.

Any idea what GPS chipset N8 uses? Is it same as with older Nokias from Texas Instruments (GPS5300 NaviLink 4.0) or they changed to Sirf Star II/III?

Cheers,
Miki

Last edited by miki69; 01-06-2010 at 10:54 AM.