All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 25-11-2004, 10:29 AM

TheJoker is on a distinguished road
Beer Network Connections - Confused

Gents,

I managed to connect to my wlan last night and was happily surfing OR reading emails, but when I was connected to my emails, and then tried to surf the web, it started using GPRS because the primary WLAN connection was already taken - so Email was over WLAN, and Web was over GPRS...

What have I missed?? Isn't there a way to let the "whole" phone use one Internet connection, instead of one application "hogging" one connection...?!

Oh, and I admit, I've not read the whole manual yet (just used it as a reference), so if it's in there, I'm more than happy to read about it...

.. But if someone knows I'd be happy to get an answer.

Thanks!
Ads

Old 25-11-2004, 12:21 PM

jah is on a distinguished road
Have a look here for setting your preference for connections for email:

Menu>Account Settings>General Tab (for your email account)>Internet Access (bottom option)>Your WLAN

Old 25-11-2004, 02:28 PM

TheJoker is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jah
Have a look here for setting your preference for connections for email:

Menu>Account Settings>General Tab (for your email account)>Internet Access (bottom option)>Your WLAN
That's how I got it set, for both of my currently installed email accounts, but....

I first connect one email account and it establishes WLAN connectiong
Then I connect the 2nd email account and it tries to establish the same WLAN connection (which it reuses).
Then I open up Web, and it tries to connect to the WLAN, but fails, and falls back to using GPRS....

Annoying... :(

Old 21-12-2004, 01:08 PM

liaonet is on a distinguished road
WiFi Email and GPRS Settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoker
That's how I got it set, for both of my currently installed email accounts, but....

I first connect one email account and it establishes WLAN connectiong
Then I connect the 2nd email account and it tries to establish the same WLAN connection (which it reuses).
Then I open up Web, and it tries to connect to the WLAN, but fails, and falls back to using GPRS....

Annoying... :(

I actually rang Nokia Tech support about this and have experimented agressively and have now got a series of settigns that I find work.

For some reson when you are connected to the web via a home gateway you cannot use email simultaneously ont he same connection. If you use a commercial hot spot this problem goes away (do nto ask em hwo the device cn tell the difference but it does.)

I have setup four remote mail accounts and some local folders in the email application one is called mailbox_GPRS and another mailbox_WiFi_Home and another mailbox_WiFi_Public and finally a mailbox_CSD.

Each of these accounts is pointing to the same mail server and when I created each one I specified a specific internet connection type under the General tab of the account settings for each account and I turned off all automatic settings under the Roaming tab.

I have a mailbox_wifi_home account because at home I cannot use DHCP (see another post re IP V6 interferring with IPV4) and so have a specific access point setting with a fixed IP address.

I then created several folders where I store emails I want to keep work on etc and I use which ever account is appropriate to download the emails and then store the ones I need to work on and delete the rest.

It works very reliably this way whereas the automatic systems have not been so much fun for me.

Incidently when I want to do email I switch to web hit Control - U switch back to message then hit retireve and then switch back to web and continue surfing.

All the Best

Bill