All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 27-11-2007, 12:48 AM

experts79 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation New firmware for n95 (v20)

Well, i was pretty pleased when i heard the new upgrade was there, as there was a few issues they had to sort out. Anyhow, logged online, updated my phone, all went well. Actually, the funny thing is once all was up and running after the install, i could not find the demand paging software for example, nor was my search program working. . Other than that, i do notice a fair change in the phones general attitude in the sense that it does work fine and most of the other programs seem to be fine.I did check the version *#0000# and it did say v20 but i dont understand why the demand paging is not even there. I am not sure of what to do? Anyone can advise whether i should re install or what i should do? Thanks

Old 27-11-2007, 01:09 AM

bowman is on a distinguished road
I'm guessing you won't find an actual program to run. It's obviously built into the firmware and as such the operating system controls it. Presumably Nokia have (wisely) chosen not to have it configurable by the end user.

It's certainly working though, 30mb ram free at bootup plus the whole thing runs significantly faster, especially the gallery.

I think you would've been better off posting this in the existing 'new firmware' thread.

Old 27-11-2007, 01:09 AM

codiac is on a distinguished road
Demand paging is not an app, its a background process so you cant "run it" like a program.

There is another thread detailing other users experiences here:

http://allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66912

Old 27-11-2007, 01:11 AM

Yeah cheers guys. would have thought so. I am fairly new, actually signed up a couple of minutes ago. However, i will not post no more here. Thanks, i am reinstalling it and seeing if there aint any difference. Cheerio

Old 27-11-2007, 01:32 AM

Mithent is on a distinguished road
You needn't reinstall it, it's not possible to accidentally not install Demand Paging, or not have it working. Don't worry about it - if your firmware version is V20, it's there, and you can forget all about Demang Paging and just enjoy the fact that your phone can run more programs and is faster

Old 27-11-2007, 02:08 AM

randomfan is on a distinguished road
Yeah, like the others said, demand paging isn't an application, it's not even a process. Just a different algorithm the OS uses when loading application code into the memory.

Old 27-11-2007, 02:38 AM

Nokia Search NOT Working after v20 upgrade.

Right, although it was not required, further to installing the upgrade, i did it again. And weirdly enough, i could NOt get search to launch. it does feature in the standby but when i do click on it, nothing happens. Hence i checked in application manager if it would be listed there, in which case i would uninstall it and then try to download+rinstall it again. however, it was not listed there either. i even tried in file manager in installed files, in fact there was nothing there. So, i still went online and tried re downloading the program from nokia's website. It downloaded alright, however when it was proceeding with install, it said something like cannot update or something like that. Thats a bit weird, cos i cannot seem to be able to get it to work!. I am on T mobile uk and otherwise, the rest seem to be working alright so far.

Anyone has an idea? If yes, suggestions welcomed, danke schon !
Ads

Old 28-11-2007, 01:57 PM

Jemmane is on a distinguished road
where do i find this v2 firmware update from?

Old 28-11-2007, 02:07 PM

ut666 is on a distinguished road
nokia software updater:
http://europe.nokia.com/softwareupdate

install that soft, then connect your phone via the usb cable in pcsuite mode, launch the NSU app and nokia should take care of you from there...

(NB) remember to backup before you proceed... via pc suite... so u dont loose contacts messages etc etc...

ut.

Old 28-11-2007, 03:31 PM

truplaya is on a distinguished road
my phone is product code 0546659 (T-Mobile UK) and NSU only offers me v12 as an update.

Can i get v20 after this, or do i need to do something else.

All help much appreciated

Old 28-11-2007, 05:59 PM

granadas is on a distinguished road
hi,my phone is product code 0547686 and NSU only offers me v12 as an update. when can i get v20

Old 29-11-2007, 10:52 AM

andykn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by granadas View Post
hi,my phone is product code 0547686 and NSU only offers me v12 as an update. when can i get v20
Quote:
Originally Posted by truplaya View Post
my phone is product code 0546659 (T-Mobile UK) and NSU only offers me v12 as an update.

Can i get v20 after this, or do i need to do something else.

All help much appreciated
When your network operator relases it for your product code.

Or when you debrand.

Old 29-11-2007, 11:28 AM

declanshortall is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by andykn View Post
When your network operator relases it for your product code.

Or when you debrand.
Mine is also 0547686. However, that product code is not an operator customised firwmware. Its actually a prduct code specifically for UK. the product description details 0547686 UK CV Deep Plum.

In my experience, Nokia will release the firware EURO 1 & 2 and APAC firmwares first. The other unbranded variants (0547686) follow on a week or 2 later. As for the network customised....it is totally up to the network if they decide to use and customise the new firmware. Some networks are still using the v11 firmware (whether by choice to keep their phones basic or whether they deemed the v12 firmware too buggy to use their software on it.

I've heard that 3 UK are now testing the firmware and will have their firmware out soon. Once it's released, Nokia will upload it the the NSU servers.

Old 30-11-2007, 01:32 PM

andykn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by declanshortall View Post
Mine is also 0547686. However, that product code is not an operator customised firwmware. Its actually a prduct code specifically for UK. the product description details 0547686 UK CV Deep Plum.

In my experience, Nokia will release the firware EURO 1 & 2 and APAC firmwares first. The other unbranded variants (0547686) follow on a week or 2 later. As for the network customised....it is totally up to the network if they decide to use and customise the new firmware. Some networks are still using the v11 firmware (whether by choice to keep their phones basic or whether they deemed the v12 firmware too buggy to use their software on it.

I've heard that 3 UK are now testing the firmware and will have their firmware out soon. Once it's released, Nokia will upload it the the NSU servers.
Odd, I thought all the Country Variants started 053 and Operator Variants 054. But a google of that code does seem to indicate its generic. My Carphone Warehouse supplied O2 N95 looked unbranded but the best way to tell is to look in (Menu > Tools > Settings > Connection >) Access points. If they have a symbol next to them indicating that they are locked or secured then they are part of the firmware. Otherwise they can get there from the SIM card or a text message from your operator but are not locked or secured.

Old 07-12-2007, 06:11 PM

techno7 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by experts79 View Post
Right, although it was not required, further to installing the upgrade, i did it again. And weirdly enough, i could NOt get search to launch. it does feature in the standby but when i do click on it, nothing happens.
I had exactly the same problem.
Did a full reset and still no search, so then tried without the memory card - Search then worked.

Restored the content of the phone (still no memory card) and the search app still works.

Memory Card back in and no Search App. Hope this helps.