All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

Old 25-08-2010, 12:09 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Nokia and Intel open joint lab for 3D mobile UX research

Yesterday Nokia and Intel announced the establishment of a joint research centre, based at the University of Oulu (Finland). The lab, which will have around two dozen researchers, will focus on mobile user experiences, with a particular emphasis on 3D experiences and technology. Likely research areas include 3D virtual worlds, 3D user interfaces and immersive gaming.

Read on in the full article.

Old 25-08-2010, 06:19 PM

chatty is on a distinguished road
I think Nokia need to concentrate on today's technology and get a decent handset out before they consider designing new technologies!

Old 25-08-2010, 06:43 PM
GalaxyS Awesome

Good Luck Nokia (old man) xD

Old 25-08-2010, 06:46 PM
kalel17

And when they do that now people complain that they are just playing catchup and not inventing anything new... you people amaze me.

Old 25-08-2010, 08:52 PM

Jimmy1 is on a distinguished road
Meh. Two creaky hardware companies clinging to each other, trying to look relevant.

Old 25-08-2010, 10:05 PM
Unregistered

nokia

Nokia had to get to help from someone as they are losing in the Top Smartphone market,as Apple,Samsung,Htc an Sony with Ericsson produce laptops an know certain software to use on there Mobiles they are Producing,but Nokia have been struggling with the Symbian software an are only just trying to improve the software,Intel an Nokia might be able know to get Nokia back on track with the rest, an at last see more advanced Mobiles from Nokia,but i hope its not a slow partnership an gets more faster Top Smartphones at Nokia as a lately everything is so slow at Nokia an are losing out to the Rest

Old 26-08-2010, 06:37 AM
Lazerpoint

Thumbs up Funny

How "unforgiving" and naive people are. Unforgiving? Because to me it seems that some people take this whole phone business and their respective companies so seriously. But I bet that a majority of all these people with their arrogant attitude and "harsh" comments used to be Nokia owners and at some point they actually were satisfied with their products. But at some point were dissapointed because in their minds it seemed that their favourite manufacturer could not keep up with the competitors. So then a question remains: How do you guys/girls cope with real life dissapointments if you react like this against a software company that have not intended to do anything personal against you?
And then the word naive. It´s pretty naive to think that these two world class companies wouldn´t create anything useful while brainstorming and innovating in the laboratories. And for second, Nokia has already started a couple of interesting projects like MeeGo that may bring some interesting results.

So what can we do? Focus. Focus on the positive things that our favourite company is doing at the moment. It doesn´t matter which company you support, just support them by writing positive things at their forums and so on, instead of thrashing the competitors at their homeground.
As we all know from real life, thrastalkers are the ones that are afraid.
And we wouldn´t wan´t people to think that we are afraid would we?

Amen.

Old 26-08-2010, 11:01 PM
Unregistered

@Laserpoint,

Obviously you never owned an N97. You can't be serious to just give them a pass and say: "all is forgiven. Continue making crap phones. Take our money, deliver substandard devices. We love you anyway." You either live a fantasy land of sugar plumbs and fairy dust or you are just naive and unknowing. Maybe a combination of both. Either way, get a clue.
Ads

Old 27-08-2010, 07:12 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
@Laserpoint,

Obviously you never owned an N97. You can't be serious to just give them a pass and say: "all is forgiven. Continue making crap phones. Take our money, deliver substandard devices. We love you anyway." You either live a fantasy land of sugar plumbs and fairy dust or you are just naive and unknowing. Maybe a combination of both. Either way, get a clue.
The naive people are the ones that bought an N97 and then complain about. WHY DID THEY BUY IT THEN ?????? Did they purchase something without first trying it? If they did then they are naive and stupid.

Anyway, I don't think anyone is saying "all is forgiven". But a Nokia and Intel collaboration (most likely for Meego devices) is Nokia trying to make a positive move, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Unless you are entirely negative in your outlook, in which case you are going nowhere yourself.

Old 27-08-2010, 02:59 PM
Unregistered

>> Did they purchase something without first trying it? If they did then they are naive and stupid.

I bought the 5800 without trying it. The N82 was the best phone I've ever had. The 5800, like the N97, a bit of a disaster. How was I supposed to know they'd screw it up so badly?

I also bought an iPhone without trying it. The 5800 was so bad that I had to get something else. The iPhone is my new best phone ever.

I don't think I'm naive and stupid. I just have enough spare cash to buy and try at the same time.

As far as Intel / Nokia goes, it's too little, too late for me.

Old 27-08-2010, 04:11 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
>> Did they purchase something without first trying it? If they did then they are naive and stupid.

I bought the 5800 without trying it. The N82 was the best phone I've ever had. The 5800, like the N97, a bit of a disaster. How was I supposed to know they'd screw it up so badly?

I also bought an iPhone without trying it. The 5800 was so bad that I had to get something else. The iPhone is my new best phone ever.

I don't think I'm naive and stupid. I just have enough spare cash to buy and try at the same time.

As far as Intel / Nokia goes, it's too little, too late for me.
Even though phones are relatively inexpensive and easily affordable items, I always do my research before buying. Try one out, find somebody else who has got one, read about it on the web. It's not that difficult a concept, due diligence - that's how you are supposed to know. If you choose not to and end up with a spud and decide not to return it then you get what you deserve and have only yourself to blame.