All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 17-11-2007, 12:54 AM

lingelun is on a distinguished road
Unhappy N95-3 language problem

I have a N95-3 (new US version handset with much larger battery), firmware 10.2.006, product code 0552415, having English, Spanish, Portuguese and French installed.

I have two problems... when trying to move messages from my old 6230i, an error occurs saying that English EN is not compatible with English EN-US. Any suggestions on how to get around that problem?

The second is a little more tricky. I live and work in China, a country where Spanish, Portuguese and French languages are as useful as cars without horns. Are language packs separate items from core firmware, and is it possible to update the language pack without "frying" the handset. Would changing the product code only also change the language set?

Without a Chinese language set, the 'phone's very desirable extra features have limited value here.

Old 17-11-2007, 01:02 AM

seki is on a distinguished road
Beer Nope .. you're pretty much stuffed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lingelun View Post
I have a N95-3 (new US version handset with much larger battery), firmware 10.2.006, product code 0552415, having English, Spanish, Portuguese and French installed.

I have two problems... when trying to move messages from my old 6230i, an error occurs saying that English EN is not compatible with English EN-US. Any suggestions on how to get around that problem?

The second is a little more tricky. I live and work in China, a country where Spanish, Portuguese and French languages are as useful as cars without horns. Are language packs separate items from core firmware, and is it possible to update the language pack without "frying" the handset. Would changing the product code only also change the language set?

Without a Chinese language set, the 'phone's very desirable extra features have limited value here.
until you can find a product code for China/Taiwan/ KongKong or heck even Singapore .. that ought to include Chinese input as well as fonts.
The standard N95 has these but maddeningly NO JAPANESE code .. so yeah cars without horns .. well put!

Try the product code sticky you might get lucky!

Old 17-11-2007, 06:57 AM

Red face

Many thanks Seki. Your answer has been a whole lot more informative than those supplied so far by Nokia USA! I suspect that they have put my queries in the "too hard basket" in the hope that I will simply go away.

Just returned from an "unofficial" Nokia service centre here in Nanjing, assured that they will have the information I need in a couple of weeks. Was able to purchase complete schematics for the N95 and a heap of other late model Nokias. They have stuffs for N95, N95-2, N95-5 but not N95-3... yet!

But, still looking for info regarding the messages. Surely Nokia 'phones aren't fussy about English accents are they ? ? ?

Regards... Glenn

Old 19-11-2007, 12:27 AM

doktorzee is on a distinguished road
I too have that phone, and I love if someone would know the product code for the Romanian language.

Old 19-11-2007, 05:49 AM

PimpSC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by doktorzee View Post
I too have that phone, and I love if someone would know the product code for the Romanian language.
0536070 RUSSIAN: English, German, Ukrainian, Russian, Romanian, Bulgarian, Hungarian

Old 19-11-2007, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PimpSC View Post
0536070 RUSSIAN: English, German, Ukrainian, Russian, Romanian, Bulgarian, Hungarian
I'm pretty sure that's just for the first N95, not the N95-3, right? What if that is the case and I try that 0536070 and update the firmware, will my phone be bricked?

Old 20-11-2007, 12:37 AM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by doktorzee View Post
I'm pretty sure that's just for the first N95, not the N95-3, right? What if that is the case and I try that 0536070 and update the firmware, will my phone be bricked?
I also would be most interested in knowing the relationship between the product code and the firmware version. Can the product code be updated without also installing new firware? If no new firmare is available, can the current one be reloaded along with a different product code in order to "trick" the internals". Does changing the product code alone using a suitable readily downloadable software programme also change the language set? Does the firmware for the N95-1 (original), N95-2 (8GB) and N95-3 (US version) all contain the currently available languages... and are product codes actually different for each handset version?

Like doktorzee, I also am wary of twiddling the product code of my N95-3 in case I create an interesting paperweight in the process.

The "Offical Nokia Line" is that... one must buy a phone in the region where one intends to use it in order to get the required languages. Too bad they also don't include that statement in their advertising!!!

Old 20-11-2007, 01:13 AM

seki is on a distinguished road
Beer Yes.. thats in fact

Quote:
I also would be most interested in knowing the relationship between the product code and the firmware version. Can the product code be updated without also installing new firware? If no new firmare is available, can the current one be reloaded along with a different product code in order to "trick" the internals". Does changing the product code alone using a suitable readily downloadable software programme also change the language set? Does the firmware for the N95-1 (original), N95-2 (8GB) and N95-3 (US version) all contain the currently available languages... and are product codes actually different for each handset version?

Like doktorzee, I also am wary of twiddling the product code of my N95-3 in case I create an interesting paperweight in the process.

The "Offical Nokia Line" is that... one must buy a phone in the region where one intends to use it in order to get the required languages. Too bad they also don't include that statement in their advertising!!!
exactly what you would do if you could find a product code to include Chinese.
once thats changed you can reload the "same" firmware version number - though the supported language set is different ..

hope you find it!

Old 20-11-2007, 03:45 PM

Beer

Quote:

I think that a new firmware has to be available when you change the product code. So leave your phone as is with version 10 or 11, find and change your product code, then update to get version 12 with your desired language. This is just a guess.

Another thing I thought of, for my situation at least, is that since the phone wasn't previously released in North America, maybe the codes are interchangeable between N95 and N95-3. I was thinking that the other codes all were 053xxxx and that 0552415 seemed to not fit. What if it was just due to Nokia going in numerical order? 053xxxx for Europe, 054xxxx for branded phones like for Orange, and 055xxxx for the Americas? I think the prime differences between the N95 and N95-3 are strictly hardware, like the frequency of the WCDMA, which I would think would have nothing to do with firmware. I'll let someone test this theory before I try it myself or maybe someone wants to shoot it down thats fine too.

Old 22-11-2007, 08:25 AM

Doktorzee... you may have something there. Your theory could easily be supported if the product codes for a N95-1 (original model) and say the N95-2 (8GB version) available for sale in the sale region or country were compared. If the first three numbers were ignored, and the remaining numbers the same, then perhaps the last four numbers are indeed related to languages etc. Unfortunately, the N95-3 appears at this time to be unique to North America, which previously was unable to enjoy (???) and N95-1.

OK, does any-one have any product codes for the N95-2 (8GB) version so that the theory can be supported or discarded?
Ads