All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > Symbian Based Devices > S60 (Series 60) > Nokia Numbered S60 5.0 (Nokia 5800, Nokia 5230, Nokia 5530)

View Poll Results: 5800 V40, now too close to an iPhone or just better in more ways?
Too close 1 14.29%
Definately better than an iphone 3 42.86%
Just a better phone full stop 3 42.86%
Not really a worthy comparison 1 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 7. This poll is closed

Old 21-01-2010, 02:05 PM

staunch is on a distinguished road
Question Nokia 5800XM installer error

First timer wanting to know if anyone is able to help pls.

I have noticed some strange loading of somethings in the background when starting up my 5800 lately.

Recently updated to V40. and had seen that the c:/ drive was becoming full of junk, and have been trying to use the Settings/Application mgr/installed apps menu to try and uninstall some of the junk that is on both the c: & e: memories

The problem is that when I try to uninstall, an error appears... "Unable to start operation. Installer already in use"

I have found that if I turn it off and on again, go straight to the installed apps menu, i can get a couple of apps removed before the error message returns. I have been noticing that when it is powering up that the red light (top right corner) keeps flashing on and off. I have tried to hold the white key down to try a catch what app is opening and starting to install. the only install app that keeps appearing is... "Sercurewidgetpreinstaller". I have about 40 seconds from when it powers up, to when this thing starts trying to install.

Any suggestions out their on how to work out which app/programme is causing this issue? Is their an app that is like the windows task manager that show me what is happening "behind the scenes"???

Thanks in advance for any possible help that may be provided.

Old 22-01-2010, 02:39 PM

All is good now, finally discovered that the update for OVI maps was locking it up... The Nightmare is over and all is good and back to normal
Ads

Old 24-01-2010, 11:30 AM

slapntickle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by staunch View Post
All is good now, finally discovered that the update for OVI maps was locking it up... The Nightmare is over and all is good and back to normal
Hi Staunch.
How did you solve the problem? I'm having the same issue after installing ovi maps-keep getting installer already in use error.
Many thanks

Old 25-01-2010, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapntickle View Post
Hi Staunch.
How did you solve the problem? I'm having the same issue after installing ovi maps-keep getting installer already in use error.
Many thanks
It was a bit tricky but i'll try to exlain it,

1: Set one of your Home screen short cuts to be the Software Updater (Settings/Personal/Home Screen/Shortcuts/Shortcut 1,2,3 or 4/Application/Software Update)

2: Turn off phone and then turn back on again
Next step has to be done as quick as possible...

3: Once phone is on and the homescreen appears, touch the short cut to SW Updater, then once the updater has appeared, select internet if required, then make sure that only the Ovi maps update box is checked and then touch the bottom left icon to install this file.
If you have been quick enough it should start to install the Ovi maps update, If the error message appears still, then try step 2 & 3 again but a quick as possible. The trick is to start installing the file before the OS tries to start it.

Note; I had already downloaded the update and only needed to install the file and that was what caused the issue for me. In short, you will need to have made sure that the file has already downloaded and is waiting to be updated... which i gues you may have already done, because it is that process that seems to be causing the error.

Since getting the Maps to update properly, I still haven't had any issues with that "installer in use error" again.

Good luck, hope it makes sense.

Old 29-01-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapntickle View Post
Hi Staunch.
Many thanks
Sad to report the issue has reared its ugly head again, it's the new SW Updater software that is causing the issue. Tried to start downloaded some of the optional items listed and since then its started the error loop.