All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 02-05-2010, 01:43 AM

dbxgraphics is on a distinguished road
Looking for Appz for my 5800xm

Hi,

I'm looking for a Taskmanager (ToDo) application for my Nokia 5800xm.
Something that resembles iPhone's Things or Awesome Notes.

These applications are sold for no more than $9.99 and look 10x better than applications like Handy Calendar.
How these people dare to ask $29.95 for such ugly applications is a miracle to me.

Most of the applications I come across for my Nokia 5800xm are just butt ugly.
I know it's not because of the fact it just can't be made better. Gravity is a good example of that. Somehow Symbian application developers lack the design skills.
Bit the same problem windows lately faces in comparison to Macs new applications.

Yesterday I been searching all over the web for a decent ebook reader.
I tried eReader, ZXReader and a few more of which I forgot the names since I uninstalled them faster than I installed them.
I finally settled with iSilo which I find the best of the worsed.
Again, when I compare it with the free ebook reader for iPhone called Stanza it makes me regret I didn't get me an iPhone. Sure, the 5800xm is a great piece of hardware. Probably better than the iPhone. But it lacks in every way when it comes to applications.

Really hope someone will prove me wrong by pointing me towards the better looking Task Managers & eBook readers available for the Nokia because I'm stuck with it atleast untill april 2011 lol.

Last edited by dbxgraphics; 02-05-2010 at 01:45 AM.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:11 AM

robmeik is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbxgraphics View Post
Hi,

I'm looking for a Taskmanager (ToDo) application for my Nokia 5800xm.
Something that resembles iPhone's Things or Awesome Notes.

These applications are sold for no more than $9.99 and look 10x better than applications like Handy Calendar.
How these people dare to ask $29.95 for such ugly applications is a miracle to me.

Most of the applications I come across for my Nokia 5800xm are just butt ugly.
I know it's not because of the fact it just can't be made better. Gravity is a good example of that. Somehow Symbian application developers lack the design skills.
Bit the same problem windows lately faces in comparison to Macs new applications.

Yesterday I been searching all over the web for a decent ebook reader.
I tried eReader, ZXReader and a few more of which I forgot the names since I uninstalled them faster than I installed them.
I finally settled with iSilo which I find the best of the worsed.
Again, when I compare it with the free ebook reader for iPhone called Stanza it makes me regret I didn't get me an iPhone. Sure, the 5800xm is a great piece of hardware. Probably better than the iPhone. But it lacks in every way when it comes to applications.

Really hope someone will prove me wrong by pointing me towards the better looking Task Managers & eBook readers available for the Nokia because I'm stuck with it atleast untill april 2011 lol.
Maybe you should sell your 5800 and get an iPhone! The apps for symbian are plentiful and varied in cost (some free)! If you do a search in google you should come up with quite a few options! I find handy Calendar just right for my needs, a one off payment which I can use on phones I upgrade to along the way is OK by me ... I can understand some people not being happy with this though!

Good luck in your search!

Old 02-05-2010, 11:14 AM

Thanks 4 your reply rob,

However sellling my phone atm isn't really an option.
That's also not really the reason for my post.

If I see possibilities like MyPhone v2.50 it kinda amazes me that something like a good looking and well functioning eBook reader or a Taskmanager is nowhere to be found.

I'm sure many people will find appz like handy Calendar sufficient enough however, when you compare it with say Things or Awesome Notes, you can't go around the fact there's a big difference in what's being offered for a smaller pricetag.

Last edited by dbxgraphics; 03-05-2010 at 07:55 AM.

Old 09-05-2010, 02:15 PM

Now that Google came with GQueues, it might be an easier step to implement it in a version for Symbian too. As with everything, the iPhone version came out yet.

Old 14-05-2010, 10:59 AM

After trying out several options concering GTD applications like GQueues, Remember the milk,
MS Outlook 2010 <-- Which I hate, Google calendar and several more, I decided to stick with the beta of Ovi's organiser.

Thunderbird and lightning probably will never be totally supported, Gqueues can be implemented in Google Calendar but it's todo's
will only be added when you add due dates and besides I haven't found a decent way to sync google calendar.
Mail for exchange sometimes works and other times doesn't. Besides there's no task support.

So, eagerly awaiting for my contract to finish at Telfort and I be stepping over to iPhone.
I'm fed up with not being able to get things working the way I want it.

It used to be just a phone.

However these days we all want to make use of our phone as if it's a PC with several appz we like.
I'm not any different.

I always say
"It's not the hardware that makes us choose a platform, in the end it's all about the applications available to run on it"

That's why Steve Jobs is such a success at the moment.

PS. Anyone got a suggestion for a better e-book reader other then iSilo?
Because iSilo itself isn't that bad but converting .epub to .pdb doesn't seem to work very well in Calibre.

Last edited by dbxgraphics; 14-05-2010 at 11:08 AM.
Ads