All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 15-08-2008, 09:52 PM

King Mustard is on a distinguished road
Question N96 slower than the N95?

I was looking on the Wikipedia article for the Nokia N96 and it states "CPU downgraded to ARM9 264MHz for N96" and "No Hardware 3D graphics accelerator for N96".

Is the N96 actually going to be slower/less capable than the N95?

Old 15-08-2008, 10:38 PM

Quakester2000 is on a distinguished road
I guess nokia saw no need to put a 3d graphics accelerator in the N96 as it was hardly used even in the N95 and the other phones that had it.

Old 16-08-2008, 04:10 AM

tkboxer is on a distinguished road
The N96 should be using a processor utilizing Intel XScale Microarchitecture to enhance the ARM processor.

http://www.marvell.com/products/cell...cale_micro.jsp

http://www.marvell.com/files//produc...A310_PB_R4.pdf

It should allow increased performance and efficiency with lower power consumption.

Old 16-08-2008, 06:43 AM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
the only reason why the 3D chip wasnt used much in the n95 was nokia's fault. all they had to do was create games and things that utilized intense graphics. its not like i could do anything to use it lmao.

Old 16-08-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkboxer View Post
The N96 should be using a processor utilizing Intel XScale Microarchitecture to enhance the ARM processor.

http://www.marvell.com/products/cell...cale_micro.jsp

http://www.marvell.com/files//produc...A310_PB_R4.pdf

It should allow increased performance and efficiency with lower power consumption.
Yeh, I had a feeling it was something like that. The phone has the same battery as the N95-1, and whilst it was terrible for the N95-1, it is apparently excellent for the N96. I guess it's not the hardware that counts but how it's used in conjunction with software/other hardware.

Old 16-08-2008, 05:14 PM

bsnappy is on a distinguished road
If more phones had a 3d graphics accelerator then i'm sure it'd be used more. The reason it hasn't been used much on the n95 is because there aren't many other phones that have one, so games would have to be specifically written for the n95 which wouldn't be cost effective.
Ads

Old 17-08-2008, 04:01 AM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
well the way it looked like nokia was heading with N series, it seemed like they were all going to have the 3D graphics chip. the n95, then the n82. it looked like it was going to be standard across all the high end phones. and it lined up perfectly with the launch of Ngage, so they could have had this great gaming platform launching with these great portable devices/phones with high graphics. they would stand out, like a nintendo DS of the phone world. then they suddenly dropped 3d completely. i think it was a huge mistake personally.

Old 17-08-2008, 04:03 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerPodacter View Post
well the way it looked like nokia was heading with N series, it seemed like they were all going to have the 3D graphics chip. the n95, then the n82. it looked like it was going to be standard across all the high end phones. and it lined up perfectly with the launch of Ngage, so they could have had this great gaming platform launching with these great portable devices/phones with high graphics. they would stand out, like a nintendo DS of the phone world. then they suddenly dropped 3d completely. i think it was a huge mistake personally.
They know what they're doing. I agree with you, but they know more than we do really. I have a feeling it is because the 3D chip(s) are expensive and relatively unused in the N95/N82, so they're saving money by not including them in the N96. Maybe the other hardware in the N96 can pick up the slack, who knows? It's possible the successor to the N96 will re-include a 3D chip when the prices have lowered.