All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 30-06-2009, 03:47 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Looking ahead to Nokia N97 v11 tomorrow

I couldn't resist a link-of-interest to the Serie-N folks over in Italy, who have dug deep to uncover what's coming in the version 11.0.021 firmware for the Nokia N97 tomorrow. Relax, you can skip their first para in Italian - the good stuff's all in English!

Read on in the full article.

Old 30-06-2009, 04:07 PM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
Ugh. i guess i cant complain because this is a quick release. but if "that's it" and there's nothing more substantial then i am staying with my 5800. these bugs should have been fixed 5 months ago, not NOW. what they should be doing NOW is adding things like kinetic scrolling in the OS, etc. good luck with that nokia, i'll continue waiting!

Old 30-06-2009, 04:35 PM

Al3xandr3 is on a distinguished road
Indeed! If this is the whole list, than it's a pretty lame list. there's plenty of things that need correction... :(

Old 30-06-2009, 04:49 PM

JohnnyN is on a distinguished road
Hold on

This phone has been on sale for over a week and a firmware update is available? I'd say Nokia should be congratulated. It's clear that they are ready to give this device plenty of support.

Look what they did for the N95. Thanks to firmware, it's life was extended and it is still a great phone.

Old 30-06-2009, 04:53 PM

viipottaja is on a distinguished road
What is interesting/fascinating to me is that there are fixes to bugs that are specific to a country and/or operator.. Us Regular Joes probably have no idea how damn complicated it is to do a global launch to a complicated device like this - hoping for a completely bug free release seems like an unrealistic wish. But, they should certainly have fixed some of these before the release.

Old 30-06-2009, 08:38 PM
santi

Pretty Good

Well, I'm kind of excited about the update. The interesting thing, is that reading the complaints of people in other sites, the update aligns nicely. Several of the bugs that people were complaining about are fixed in this release. And I'm sure the rest will be fixed eventually. Still excited about my N97 which should arrive in the next days!
Ads

Old 30-06-2009, 08:47 PM
Unregistered

Talking of updates, my 5800 seems to have changed its behaviour without me asking for it.

When screens change they zoom in and out instead of just changing, or they unfurl like curtains opening. There is kinetic scrolling going on too. I didn't change anything to make this happen, and I can't work out where the setting is to turn it off. It's almost like there has been some network control by Nokia.

Anyone know how to set it back to normal?

Old 30-06-2009, 08:48 PM

celios is on a distinguished road
Now the N97 is out there, fixing bugs, especially biggies like the lock/unlock problem, should be the priority. Hopefully we'll see some stability improvements and maybe some performance increase. Then, a few months down the line we can get kinetic scrolling on menus, etc. Remember how long it took the N95 to get demand paging, it didn't happen the week after it's global release!

Old 30-06-2009, 11:25 PM
Unregistered

that was quick

i dont know why, but i always seem to buy a phone nokia decides to stop supporting. where is the nokia 5800 update for nam users?

Old 01-07-2009, 12:11 AM

krisq is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Talking of updates, my 5800 seems to have changed its behaviour without me asking for it.

When screens change they zoom in and out instead of just changing, or they unfurl like curtains opening. There is kinetic scrolling going on too. I didn't change anything to make this happen, and I can't work out where the setting is to turn it off. It's almost like there has been some network control by Nokia.

Anyone know how to set it back to normal?
Select your theme then options/ theme effects to 'no'

Old 01-07-2009, 01:02 AM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyN View Post
This phone has been on sale for over a week and a firmware update is available? I'd say Nokia should be congratulated. It's clear that they are ready to give this device plenty of support.

Look what they did for the N95. Thanks to firmware, it's life was extended and it is still a great phone.
Nokia did promise significant firmware updates for the n97, which is something different from all their previous phones. My interpretation of this was meant to mean substantial features added above the typical bug fixes. There's plenty of time left to see those come to fruition.

I know these current bugs absolutely need fixing, so this is obviously a good thing. Perhaps nokia is sticking to their word with n97 support. But so far its not enough for me to want to give up my 5800. There's something about this 5800 that just makes me love it. The form factor, size, speakers, etc. And too many design flaws of the n97 like needing to swipe to answer a call?! Horrible. 5800 can just press green button to answer when screen is locked. I just find the n97 too serious of a fundamental flaw needing to swipe to answer. Also the quick launch toolbar is so useful, which is not present on the n97.

Still though, i'm struggling with wanting to upgrade.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:57 AM

viipottaja is on a distinguished road
When I asked someone about the sweep to answer thing, he said you do NOT need to sweep, you can also just answer by pressing the green button. Which is true?

Old 01-07-2009, 03:03 AM
3xistenz

You definitely need to swipe to answer when the phone is locked. I think the reason behind this is because N97 has no physical green and red button, so the changes of answering a call accidentally is high compared to the physical keys found on the 5800.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:05 AM
3xistenz

dazzles performing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3xistenz View Post
You definitely need to swipe to answer when the phone is locked. I think the reason behind this is because N97 has no physical green and red button, so the changes of answering a call accidentally is high compared to the physical keys found on the 5800.
Opps typo.. I meant chances instead of changes.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:03 AM
Unregistered

You dont need to swipe to answer a call. You can press the physical button which is at an angle and call is thru