All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > Symbian Based Devices > Series 80 > Nokia 9300 and 9500

Old 03-01-2005, 04:18 PM

The Claw is on a distinguished road
Nokia 9500 & Symantec LiveUpdate Wireless Virus Definitions not updating

Hi

Has anyone pruchased the Symantec Client Security 3.0 Anti Virus product for their Nokia 9500.

I have and I am concerned that although during the LiveUpdate the products "LiveUpdate" and "Symantec Security" advise that there is "No update available" and the "Last Update" field is marked with the date this was first noticed, my "Virus Definitions" update reports "Verify of update failed" (just after reporting "Getting update") in the "Status" field and it shows "Never" in the "Last Update" field.
In the Symantec Security product start up page it reports that the Virus Definitions are from the 24/08/2004 which I am guessing came in the .sis install package.

I installed from a download from the Symantec site following their every instruction but I am finding it difficult to report this problem online to them and I keep ending up at the Support FAQs or a "Pay to call us" support option.

First of all is anyone else experiencing this problem and is this the latest Virus definitions or did you find how to fix it?

Secondly has anyone found a link to report via email to Symantec regards this product?

I have tried reinstalling the software and have tried manual and soft reboots. Also I have attempted this via Wi-fi and GPRS with the same result so Im guessing there is some problem with the update with my software and the Symantec virus definition server. My Wi-fi and GPRS work fine with the Internet browser. Also I have tried disabling the Symantec security and firewall whilst attempting the update and get the same result!!!

Help I want to install some .sis products

Rob

Old 03-01-2005, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

Raven is on a distinguished road
Maybe it is not updating because there are no viruses for the 9500 or Series 80 in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Claw
Help I want to install some .sis products
You can safely install ANY application your heart desires! As long as you download your applications from a legitimate source you are always safe.

I'm sorry to say it (since you already bought the program), but any anti-virus program for the 9500 is a complete waste of space.

Don't fall for the hype.
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." -Emerson

Old 03-01-2005, 06:08 PM

Dewcall is on a distinguished road
As a PC user of Symantec - I am not surprised that that you have difficulty with their tech support!! I can't wait for my subscription to expire so I can try a morehlepful (they do exist?) company! As for viruses not existing for the 9500, I am sure they will at some stage!
Ads

Old 03-01-2005, 06:15 PM

Hi Raven

I see where you are coming from.... your point I have read in another thread and although valid in the short term it doesn't address the fact that I get the error response "Verify of update failed"!

I have also noticed that some genuine (paid for and licensed) .sis install files are flagged as not certified when installing and at least at this stage the security client gives some assurance that if there were something malicious included it could be stopped before paralysing the phone. Also some legitimate freeware utilities do the same and it's better to be safe than sorry. I do understand your points however on persons circumnavigating paying for legitimate software. However, I have purchased and installed the Symantec software legitimately and on that point I'm sure I gain your support in finding the cause of the problem rather than your disapproval of my caution, foresight and keeness to highlight this problem and hopefully it's eventual resolution to this highly useful forum.

BR
Rob

Old 03-01-2005, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewcall
As for viruses not existing for the 9500, I am sure they will at some stage!
Perhaps, but you are still safe as long as you download all your apps from reliable sources!

Currently there only exist "viruses/trojans" for the Series 60 platform. And not even they can be classified as real viruses. They are simply maliciously coded C++ applications. Steve sums it all up rather nicely in his article over at 3-Lib.
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." -Emerson

Old 03-01-2005, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I have also noticed that some genuine (paid for and licensed) .sis install files are flagged as not certified when installing and at least at this stage the security client gives some assurance that if there were something malicious included it could be stopped before paralysing the phone. Also some legitimate freeware utilities do the same and it's better to be safe than sorry.
About 99% of all Symbian applications have not been trough the Symbian Signed process. It _does not_ mean that they will cause any harm to your device. The reason why there are so few Symbian Signed applications is because the process is ridiculously expensive for the developers. Of course some application may have been poorly written, thus not functioning properly, but they are are easy to remove from the device.

I'm sorry I can't help with your inquiry, that's up Symantec, or possibly other users of the application.

I just find it important to inform other forum users about the non-existence of viruses, so they don't get suckered into purchasing something they don't need.

Old 03-01-2005, 07:15 PM

Smile

Many thanks to Raven for his opinions this is highly informative on a Symbiam application level.

My query, however, pertains to those who have purchased and installed the Symantec Client Security 3.0 for Nokia Communicator and if they are having the same problem. SO can we limit the thread to this specific product and problem please. :-)

I have tracked down the UK Symantec number +442076165600 but they are shut right now.... shame as in the US they give 24/7 service but they didn't want to know about Europe products. BUT ironically enough even though this didn't exist earlier today on the Symantec Europe Support site the following "Online" Tech support page for SCS 3.0 for Nokia 9500 has just appeared. As if by magic:-

http://www.symantec.com/region/reg_e..._solve_lu.html

Ok it's wrong in the OS, SP and FS entry boxes but I've pointed this out to Symantec in my technical error report. (#542725)

At last some progress and hopefully they will come back with a solution which I will paste to the Forum for any other (apparent suckers - is this worthy of a moderator...?) who is blissfully trying to futureproof their hardware purchase.

Hope this points some lost soul in the right direction.

Watch this space
L8rs
Rob

Old 03-01-2005, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
At last some progress and hopefully they will come back with a solution which I will paste to the Forum for any other (apparent suckers - is this worthy of a moderator...?) who is blissfully trying to futureproof their hardware purchase.
Look, Rob, I'm sorry if I offended you with my comments, it was not my intention. My English is not very refined. I didn't call you or anyone else a 'sucker', I only meant that Symantec and other anti-virus companies tries to sucker people into buying their software with dubious marketing tricks. That's all. Absolutely no offence meant to you or anyone that prefers to "futureproof their hardware" - as you call it. I'm also sorry for going off-topic.

Cheers, and welcome to the forum.

Old 03-01-2005, 10:20 PM

barflux is on a distinguished road
The latest Virus Definitions are: 09/11/04 as of last week. This is the only update since the product has been launched.

Old 04-01-2005, 03:48 AM

amf is on a distinguished road
The Symantec Client Security 3.0 is both an antivirus and firewall I guess. We don't need the antivirus part but we sure could use the firewall. Thanks.

http://enterprisesecurity.symantec.c...?productid=663

Last edited by amf; 04-01-2005 at 03:56 AM.

Old 07-01-2005, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barflux
The latest Virus Definitions are: 09/11/04 as of last week. This is the only update since the product has been launched.
Hi Barflux

Thanks I am trying everyday but I am not getting this update and it's failing in the verify stage and maybe it's the version I have installed thats causing the problem.

Product Name Version Status
LiveUpdate 3.0.97 No update available
Symantec Security 3.0.97 No update available
Virus Definitions 1.0.0 Verify of update failed

Can you check your Product Information please in LiveUpdate and see if they are different to mine above?

Cheerz
Rob

Old 07-01-2005, 12:33 PM

TheJoker is on a distinguished road
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zain
Personally I think anyone who does not install protection for his 9500 is suicidal.
Just FYI, I'm not suicidal.

Old 07-01-2005, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

SwitchBlade is on a distinguished road
It's ok I keep mine in a condom, more secure than any av software.
A weekly science fiction serial by me, written on a 9500/E90.

Old 07-01-2005, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry for going off-topic again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zain
Personally I think anyone who does not install protection for his 9500 is suicidal.
I would just like to point out, as there seem to be some confusion about this, that a Windows virus _cannot_ infect a Symbian system. Just like a Windows virus cannot infect a Mac system. The _Only_ way a virus/trojan can infect a Symbian device is if you install it yourself (.SIS file).

I don't know why I bother though, as you people seem more determined to believe a company that makes money on the existence (or non-existence as the case is with the 9500) of viruses. I don't have anything to gain by telling you that any anti-virus/firewall application for the 9500 is useless. You choose to give your money to a company that thrives on media hype and scaremongering. Fine. I give up.

http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/viruses.htm

Old 07-01-2005, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator

SwitchBlade is on a distinguished road
To bang this drum one last time.

What do you think this program will do for you given that a virus appears and finds it's way to your device? Nothing, that's what it will do. Remember an anti-virus is a reactionary device and there need to be virii before it can be coded to get rid of them. You then have to remember that they will balance priorities so a format like Symbian with one or two virii will be far down the scale in comparison to windoze with it's thousands, so updates to cure virii that you'll likely never catch will be slower to arrive.

Remember virii spread by being attached to executable files that when run infect other files. Now these are only spread when you are sent an infected file from another symbian based machine. Bear in mind here that the Series 60 "virii" in the headlines are only malware and do not infect other files. If you obey the same rules you would in a windoze based OS then you'll be safe, safer in fact as Windoze has multiple holes that allow virii to run without the program being directly executed that Symbian doesn't. In the mean time you are paying these people money to sit on their arses and twiddle their thumbs as they needn't do anything because of the lack of virii on the format.
A weekly science fiction serial by me, written on a 9500/E90.