All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 21-06-2007, 06:33 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Fingerprint magnet or Fiercely stylish? The Nokia N76

Never let it be said that we at AAS are afraid to speak our minds. Despite lashings of style, good overall build quality and decent music controls, the Nokia N76 is ultimately found wanting in my illustrated review, with that mirror finish and with screens that are just about impossible to see in bright light - why did they bother including a camera?

Read on in the full article.

Old 21-06-2007, 09:10 PM
Administrator

krisse is on a distinguished road
I haven't had a go on an N76, but from the sound of things people would be far better off buying a 6290 instead:

-Technically almost identical

-Both use clamshell form factor

-6290 costs about 30% less sim-free

-6290 not a finger-print magnet

-6290 screen visible in sunlight

The 6290 doesn't have a 3.5mm audio socket, but 2.5mm to 3.5mm adaptors are easy enough to find nowadays and the best ones are very small and unobtrusive.
Internet Tablet School - Tutorials on how to use Nokia Internet Tablets

Old 22-06-2007, 10:59 AM

Al3xandr3 is on a distinguished road
I bought my wife a N76. she loves it and i love it. I usually like the AAS reviews. very indepth and accurate, but this time it almost feels that you didn't want to bother.. I know it's not usefull to explain the S60 environment over and over, but this time you didn't even talked about battery lifetime.. And that's a "good" point compared to what people thought batt life would be.

Also, there's a reason why the ports are bad placed. When you plug the 3.5mm cable or the usb, you don't need to open the phone to access their functions. Of course that it's a smartphone and you may want to do anything else while listening music, and taht's why they're badly placed. Designers should have though further, of course.

another thing, yes it's a finger print magnet, but I can hardly see so many prints as you could fotograph. Of course there's always some but generally they're not that visible. Maybe skin types have a say here too, huh?

The screen.. well i think this happens with every other phone. When the backlight is off the main screen is a mirror. Just like my N73 or similar phones I owned.. Ican't understand why is this such a big issue...

Finally, I think this is a fashion and not music oriented device. I think you know better than anyone that media keys are poping out in a lot of phones not necessarily music ones. I wouldn't say that 6290 is a music phone or even the 7390. In fact the 7390 is clearly positioned in the "L'amour collection" so it's a fashion phone right? But ith music butons.. just like the n76.

And I think you should said that the colour plays a big part here. The black version looks cheap plastic but the red one, more feminine, hits the spot!

Cheers.

Old 22-06-2007, 11:23 AM
Administrator

>>Also, there's a reason why the ports are bad placed. When you plug the 3.5mm cable or the usb, you don't need to open the phone to access their functions.

Well, they could equally well have been on the bottom bump etc...

>>The screen.. well i think this happens with every other phone. When the backlight is off the main screen is a mirror. Just like my N73 or similar phones I owned..

Nope, totally different, when the backlight is full on, at brightest setting, you still can't see the display in sunlight. This is one of the side effects of going with a high-colour-number display and also putting in a fashion protective layer on top..... Again, my photo was taken WITH the device on and the display backlight set to max. 8-(

Steve

Last edited by slitchfield; 22-06-2007 at 11:28 AM.

Old 22-06-2007, 11:24 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
NB: I haven't used the phone long term, but have seen it a number of times.

This review is definitely going to cause some debate... However I would point out that we do tend to write from a certain point of view (we do out best to be objective, but...).

I'm sorry but I don't buy the argument about the port placement. What happens if a phone call comes in or you want to use another or enter information while listening to music?

The screen itself may not be much worse than some, but because its behind extra layers and there are reflective surface around it, it can appear / be worse than it is.

As an Nseries device it should be an all rounder. The N76 clearly is style led (and as noted in the review) it is still very good. However while the N93 if video / camera led it did not sacrifice other areas of functionality to achieve this.

Anyway - thanks for commenting and providing an alternative voice - as hopefully people can see there's more than one side to every story.

Old 22-06-2007, 01:21 PM
Guess Who

It looks like a flat dog turd. This RAZR thing just doesn't work for Nokia.
Ads

Old 22-06-2007, 02:51 PM

Rafe/Steve, I'm not a known blogger or anything, but I'm a good listener (in this case reader)and have been around for some years now. I don't write much, that's a fact...

But I know how good and unbiased your reviews are. This time I just felt you didn't care. But you can have bad days too, just like anybody else

Relatively to the review, this days batterys are a big issue, and not a word have been said about it.

The other points you mention (screen, bad place for plugs, etc) you're right. Of course you are.
I feel like this because I think I'm used to other approaches from you, like what you then wrote in the comments. Pointing flaws and possible solutions that could be made, i don't know..

Overall I feel it's a beautiful phone for a lady, and it's a good compromise between phone and functions.

Cheers.

Old 22-06-2007, 04:57 PM
Administrator

The review was necessarily in a slightly more illustrated style, as I had to depict some of the shortcomings.

Away from the points mentioned, it's just a *bog standard* S60 3rd Edition device, with *nothing whatsoever* to distuinguish it. including battery life, which is also average as far as I can tell. I disliked the device so much that I only used it for a few hours, so it was hard to spot any trend here either way, though.

Anyway, it's a bit of a fallacy to talk about different devices having 'good' or 'bad' battery lives, it all depends what you use the smartphone for. I can use my N95 as a phone and get a week's life out of a single charge. Or I can hammer its video recording and drain it in an hour. And every usage pattern in between.

The N76 also falls into this, albeit in less drastic fashion. I suspect that with light use, your wife gets two or three days on each charge at the very least?

Steve Litchfield

Old 22-06-2007, 05:26 PM

Yes 2 days and a bit.

But when I meant the battery issue it was just to enhance the fact that this wasn't a great review.
I guess I'm used to great reviews, and this one really let me down..

Don't worry about it! I don't want to be a pain in the a** too. It's just that you acostumated readers with great articles and this one just felt... poor.

Have a great weekend.
cheers

Old 22-06-2007, 06:02 PM

viipottaja is on a distinguished road
Steve, are you REALLY sure the ports could have been in the bottom lip/bumb? Frankly, I doubt you are right. I am pretty sure that's where the antenna is, and I doubt they just left a lot of empty space there. Reception is usually one of the best features of any Nokia, and it would have been pity to jeapordize that. I don't think they had many options for placement of the port, given the hinge structure as well. What they could of course do/have done is to try to come up with a headset the plug of which is l-shaped and would squeeze between the hinge

Old 22-06-2007, 06:48 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Al3xandr3 - whatever the view we appreciate the feedback. Seriously we can't know if people don't tell us their views So you're definetely not a pain!

viipottaja - I suspect you're right - they're only where they are because it the current design it is the only possible place. But yes you'd have thought they have come up with a way that would you let open the hinge fully or rethought part of the design! Might be more understandable if there were A2DP support.

Old 24-06-2007, 08:04 AM

brick is on a distinguished road
Assuming that style is really the point of this phone, then it's a failure because it looks ugly. There's too much of everything. It's like someone took a BMW and gve it chrome hubcaps, a huge spoiler, and flashy lights.

If you can't make a copy that's better than the original, don't make it at all.

Old 03-07-2007, 11:00 AM

yve2k7 is on a distinguished road
Design is always going to be a subjective thing. Personally I quite like the look of the N76. Sure, it's an obvious rip-off of the Moto RAZR but I do think it's more contemporary. Maybe it's because it's been around for so long, but RAZRs just look a bit dated to me these days (when they first came out I was well impressed though). The N76 feels like a modern successor to me - perhaps what the RAZR2 should have been? ;-)

Speaking of design can anyone tell me a bit more about the materials? The AAS article mentions "metal construction" but is that just the frame or are those chromed highlights actually real metal (as opposed to silver paint on plastic)? Also I assume the red/black parts of the cover are plastic or is this not the case?