All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 29-08-2007, 09:26 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Nokia's interface vision for the future

Interested to watch OPK's keynote on the webcast. The video of Nokia's interface vision for next year more or less exactly matched my editorial from a few months ago: I've seen the future and it looks a lot like the iPhone. Watch this space for more analysis from Rafe and Ewan later today. After Nokia's video I detected a few laughs from people in the audience - the Apple copying was perhaps just too obvious?

Read on in the full article.

Old 29-08-2007, 11:34 AM
Administrator

For those that didn't watch the webcast, I should explain that OPK showed a video of a next-gen interface 'they were working on'. It showed touch-screen media browsing, auto-rotation when the device was turned, animated transitions and even an old-style iPod scroll wheel to control it all.

I've never owned an Apple product in my life, but even I can see where they got most of this stuff from. Is it just me? I wonder if Nokia should expect visits from Apple's legal team this time next year?

Steve

Old 29-08-2007, 02:58 PM

chilko is on a distinguished road
the webcast is still available at http://www.nokia.com/press/goplay

it's after 7'30" in the openning speech of OPK

Last edited by chilko; 29-08-2007 at 03:49 PM.

Old 29-08-2007, 04:34 PM

ares is on a distinguished road
Here it is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFKyAMQPbmI

http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/29/n...sly/3#comments

IŽd like apple to be f..... like anyone else, but this is an exact copy...lol

Old 29-08-2007, 05:35 PM
Macboy

And when Nokia will release its pathetic copy, Apple will already be lightyears away. Nokia is the Microsoft of mobile phones. Poor copy for the masses.

Old 29-08-2007, 05:52 PM
Unregistered

This is the most embarrassing video I've ever seen. I won't purchase any more Nokia phones. Instead, I choose the original stuff.

Old 29-08-2007, 05:54 PM
Rendering

Yeah, right

Sure, Apple may be as far as having mms or even maybe custom ringtones ? How advanced.
I somehow see this as the evolution of series90, after all they did say they wouldnt give up the touch screen market when they discontinued series90, maybe thats what they had in mind, i dont see nokia and its almost 40% market share being afraid of an (so far) american only phone with limited capabilities.
Ads

Old 29-08-2007, 06:06 PM
Administrator

>>This is the most embarrassing video I've ever seen.

Well, pretty embarrassing. I squirmed a bit in my seat when I saw how exactly Nokia was trying to copy Apple's photo browser. I don't think they should have shown that part of the video out of context, in the middle of the whole ovi/Music/N-gage launch....

Still, as I say, I predicted it a few months ago, as per the hyperlinked article.

I'm right, you know it, I always am 8-)

Steve

Old 29-08-2007, 08:53 PM
Unregistered

Talking

It was just a marketing propaganda. Nokia knows that Iphone will be coming to europe soon. They showed this so that people wont rush to buy iphone if better specification phone is coming soon.

Old 29-08-2007, 10:34 PM
Unregistered

Personally, my fervent prayer is that IF they implement a multi-touch interface on an e90 successor, it COMPLEMENTS THE (IMPROVED) KEYBOARD in the manner of the Psion 5/7/Revo/Netbook !
The touchscreen- only approach can work for media-centric handsets e.g.music, web,GPS and TV/VOD-optimised handsets BUT a Communicator is primarily a data entry and Office document creating,viewing and editing device and the onscreen keyboard/HWR should be a *additional option ONLY* and NOT a replacement for a proper physical keyboard!

Old 30-08-2007, 10:00 AM

ajck is on a distinguished road
It's GREAT that Nokia are copying the iPhone!

Hang on a minute with all this "it's a copy..lol", "it's embarrassing" nonsense that people are spouting.

It is great, it is fanastic, and it is exactly what we want that Nokia copy Apple in this case. Surely you can all see the big picture here? (Obviously not). Look, we're not aiming for a world in which every manufacturer produces different features, user interfaces, etc to everyone else just for the sake of it. That's insane.

What we're aiming for is the mythical "perfect device" - regardless of manufacturer. So it's GREAT that Nokia copy Apple with the features of the iPhone that general consensus says, and that people instinctively know, are groundbreaking and the direction in which user interface etc. design should be going - i.e. in this case the very cool and very usable, and very intuitive multitouch screen features of the iPhone. To say Nokia should differentiate just so they avoid copying an obviously brilliant idea is just plain stupid and shortsighted quite frankly.

In fact the more different manufacturers that end up coming out with something like the "perfect device" the better, because then you have competition, and everyone wins.

Start putting aside your fanboyism, and manufacturer allegiances, and start realising that it's the end user that matters most of all, that they get the best possible product, features, price etc, and that that's going to be an evolutionary process with different ideas and strategies from different places all being copied and improved upon by different people.

Alex
CEO
phonething.com

Old 30-08-2007, 12:18 PM

jukkaeklund is on a distinguished road
Like Mr. vanjoki said in the press conference: "If there is something good in the world then we copy with pride".

Old 30-08-2007, 01:50 PM

Al3xandr3 is on a distinguished road
Couldn't they just be using their iPhone to "throw some smoke" on competitors?

They said TS could come up in any formfactor.... right?

Even if they "copy" apple. what's the big deal? Aren't everybody always copying everybody? Samsung just presented a double way slide too...

LG has the prada....

Motorola had the V3 copied too..

Nothing's uncopiable, specially if it's good.

If apple now introduces mms, are they copying the rest of the manufacturers?

Let's wait and see...

Old 30-08-2007, 05:05 PM
Macboy

It was inevitable that clueless phone makers will copy Apple user interface as it's the best as usual. But maybe the title of this article should be "Apple's interface vision for the future with Nokia label for fanboys" or something like this LOL

Old 30-08-2007, 05:49 PM

Dogmann is on a distinguished road
Hi MacBoy,

If you seriously think Nokia have just suddenly decided to create a touchscreen device just because of Apples iPhone you are seriously more deluded then most of the members of this forum already think you are.

S60 is a far more mature OS for mobile smart phones then Apples version of Mac's OS X is and likely to be for for some time to come. You can be pretty sure that next year when Nokia launch this touchscreen device running S60 it will have not just 3G, HSDPA, WiFi and all the other functionality found in our S60 devices that we are all used to and as well as wealth of apps available both free and paid for to allow users to customise their devices as they wish. Not of course forgetting the now announced OVI service to be launched soon which will of course improve yet again the user experience.

Apple may of been the first but other devices and especially Nokia's version will show what a real smart phone with a touch screen is capable of. I am also pretty sure it won't come locked to one Network and a 2 year contract either and will be allowed to be subsidized if taken out with a contract so will most probably be cheaper . Apple may of got a head start but once Nokia's device launches it will only show just how low spec the iPhone actually is. As hard as that may be for you to accept just wait and see where you iPhone is then.

Marc