All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 01-02-2010, 08:08 AM

Just-Nick is on a distinguished road
Firmware 2.1 online

I have been a lurker here at AAS for quite some time now and i thought it was about time i posted, and what better way to post than with good news.

The n97 2.1 firmware for the n97 is now live and ready for download via NSU, not sure about OTA.

The update is 133.7 meg in total.

edit: My Phone is an RM-505 N97-1 0576208
(Australian white)

edit:
I've updated my phone and given it a little play so here is a run down of first impressions.

The first thing I saw was that my phone booted up with an extra 5meg of free ram, 55meg on boot, 60 after closing the boot up programs (contacts messaging etc)

Menus scroll faster, they have raised that speed cap, It is definatly feels nicer to scroll through main menus. However the popup menus still feel a little clunky while scrolling.
I also haven't noticed them hang mid scroll (yet) like they some times do.

As a whole programs seem to open faster, i havent seen more than a second of white screen before programs open as compared to seeing 5 to 10 seconds of it at times in the past. This could easily just be because i haven't used my phone enough yet.

I've been opening and closing programs seeing how the ram goes and it's not looking that great. After initialy opening some apps (maps, music and web) then closing them i found my self down to 48meg ram with everything closed. I just lost another 2meg after opening and closing fring. To really know for sure ill have to run the phone over a day and see how I go, but, at a glance, it seems there are still some issues with memory recovery.

Last edited by Just-Nick; 01-02-2010 at 01:21 PM.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:34 AM

BanziBarn is on a distinguished road
Hi! Welcome.

Are you going to install it today? Let us know what you think if you do.

Cheers

Old 01-02-2010, 08:40 AM

GJW is on a distinguished road
Not OTA.
I wonder what those 'new fantastic features' are.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:42 AM

nottmbantam is on a distinguished road
I haven't got NSU installed on this laptop, but checked online on Nokia's website, and according to my Product Code, I can get v12. Wow.

I'm already on v20.....
RM-530
E72-1

Old 01-02-2010, 08:54 AM

BanziBarn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nottmbantam View Post
I haven't got NSU installed on this laptop, but checked online on Nokia's website, and according to my Product Code, I can get v12. Wow.

I'm already on v20.....
Love it!!

Old 01-02-2010, 09:23 AM

Just-Nick is on a distinguished road
Thank you,

I've updated my phone and given it a little play so here is a run down of first impressions.

The first thing I saw was that my phone booted up with an extra 5meg of free ram, 55meg on boot, 60 after closing the boot up programs (contacts messaging etc)

Menus scroll faster, they have raised that speed cap, It is definatly feels nicer to scroll through main menus. However the popup menus still feel a little clunky while scrolling.
I also haven't noticed them hang mid scroll (yet) like they some times do.

As a whole programs seem to open faster, i havent seen more than a second of white screen before programs open as compared to seeing 5 to 10 seconds of it at times in the past. This could easily just be because i haven't used my phone enough yet.

I've been opening and closing programs seeing how the ram goes and it's not looking that great. After initialy opening some apps (maps, music and web) then closing them i found my self down to 48meg ram with everything closed. I just lost another 2meg after opening and closing fring. To really know for sure ill have to run the phone over a day and see how I go, but, at a glance, it seems there are still some issues with memory recovery.
Ads

Old 01-02-2010, 09:35 AM

zxon is on a distinguished road
I've just checked and there isn't an update for mine yet (UK unbranded Black model).

I'll keep trying during the day.

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Old 01-02-2010, 09:37 AM

stringent is on a distinguished road
Just upgraded. Had a little over 18MB free on C thats with the new Ovi Maps and Nokia Messaging 10 installed. I now have 20MB free.

Wondering if I should do a reset as well?

BTW mines a EURO1 code.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:38 AM

aquamally is on a distinguished road
Just checked NSU, v21 not available for UK unbranded, product code 0585162. Anyone else had any luck with this code?

Old 01-02-2010, 09:53 AM

ajeet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I haven't got NSU installed on this laptop, but checked online on Nokia's website, and according to my Product Code, I can get v12. Wow.:
Same here based on the product code only V12 is available but I have V20.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:15 AM

nottmbantam is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajeet View Post
Same here based on the product code only V12 is available but I have V20.

Ah, double checked again just now, and according to the online checker, I can get v21.

BUT - it's never as easy as that is it? Went to download NSU and according to that page, the latest version for N97 is v20.

And there's more. Using a work laptop, which is crippled due to all the security fears meaning I can't download any programmes, can't install anything, and the USB ports are disabled, will only work with work issued USB flash memory which are encrypted.

So, no NSU downloads for me!

But got another WIn XP machine at home, so will try that when I'm back on Thursday. Wonder if the new update will free up C Drive space which might in turn speed up some the Apps?
RM-530
E72-1

Old 01-02-2010, 11:54 AM

munkiii is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Ah, double checked again just now, and according to the online checker, I can get v21.

BUT - it's never as easy as that is it? Went to download NSU and according to that page, the latest version for N97 is v20.

And there's more. Using a work laptop, which is crippled due to all the security fears meaning I can't download any programmes, can't install anything, and the USB ports are disabled, will only work with work issued USB flash memory which are encrypted.

So, no NSU downloads for me!

But got another WIn XP machine at home, so will try that when I'm back on Thursday. Wonder if the new update will free up C Drive space which might in turn speed up some the Apps?
Usually, v21 will show up once you have updated to v20.

This happened on a 5800 i was updating for somebody, had to do the v30 update before the v40 would show up.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Still V12 for me. Will try NSU when I get home in a while, hopefully V21 is available. Hoping some of the issues like the default ring tone and better RAM management are in V21.

Last edited by ajeet; 01-02-2010 at 11:57 AM.

Old 01-02-2010, 12:49 PM

Zyyb is on a distinguished road
Using OVI suite, it detected and downloaded the update, but it wont install, says internal error and we cant find your phone...even though you did...cos you knew it was due an update! Grrr

Old 01-02-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyyb View Post
Using OVI suite, it detected and downloaded the update, but it wont install,
I used Ovi suite there's no update. However PC Suite detected the update. So I have just installed V21. First impression, a little faster not much space cleared on C. I am with 34.7MB. Will see what other improvements over the next few days. Hope there are no error messages like "System error, close some applications".