All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old 09-08-2009, 09:25 PM

coscom is on a distinguished road
Advice for a Symbian newbie and upgrade advice?

I was wondering if someone here could direct me to web pages/sites for a Symbian newbie?

I'm currently considering upgrading from my HTC 8525 to the N97 however not having ever used the Symbian operating system I was wondering if any of you could direct me to information on this phone and operating system and any advice on whether it is a good phone to upgrade to?

For some background information I have been very happy with the 8525 over its lifetime and am really hoping to upgrade to something with the same functionality but a larger screen. In particular I need to be able to read emails and text messages, surf web pages and use logmein to remote control PC's, and also read e-books in various formats (pdf's, txt's, rtf's, lit's, doc's, etc.). I really want it to have a physical keyboard and a screen decently larger than the 8525's 2.8" screen. I'd also like to be able to play some bejewelled/popit type games and occasionally listen to mp3's but these are less critical.

I have been researching various cell phones as possible upgrades but haven't seemed to find anything that isn't a downgrade in one way or another. Specifically, my phone is on my company's AT&T account so many phones I've found aren't compatible with their 3G network (in particular the Touch Pro 2 and I hate to say it but I am getting sick of waiting for the AT&T version to come out). Then there is the Acer M900 which seemed perfect until I started reading about the extensive problems with it on its forums. Anyways, I'd be very greatfull if anyone could provide any advice on whether the N97 is a good choice to upgrade to or if there are any other phones that you could suggest?