All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 17-05-2008, 03:22 PM

Menneisyys is on a distinguished road
An excerpt from my forthcoming, new A2DP headphones roundup

Iíve, among other things, been working on an A2DP headphones roundup. While itíll take at least 4-5 days to publish it (Iím still waiting for a Motorola HT820, which will also be included), I already publish a chart of four headphones so that you can avoid going for a pair of headphones that is completely incompatible with your handset / PDA.

Note that Iíve tested the headphones on all the three contemporary smartphone operating systems of today having A2DP support: Windows Mobile, Symbian and BlackBerry. Do NOT tell me to publish a separate version of this article for these three operating systems because itíd cause me a lot of extra work. Just skip the rows in the chart not related to your particular OS.

HEREíS THE CHART - CLICK THE LINK!! Sorry, the chart is just too big to fit in here.

As can clearly be seen, there are no Ąbestď headphones, particularly if you require full Symbian compliance and/or the lack of blinking LEDís or dongles without (!!!) any desynchronization problems Ė these three things that MAY make the, in my opinion, best of the bunch, the 590 pretty much unappealing for people that do need these features. There is, however, a definitely worst one: the Cellink BTST-9000-D, which should be avoided at any rate Ė unless you want to use its dongle, which is far better than that of the Pulsar. All in all, youíll need to carefully evaluate your needs, the platform youíre on, whether you plan to listen to the music a lot while youíre outdoors etc. Thereíre no ďhard and fastĒ rules as to which of these headphones are the best for you.

For the time being, please consult my earlier reviews for more info on how this all should be interpreted. Start with, say, HERE.

Old 22-05-2008, 11:32 AM

Iíve updated the chart by adding the Moto HT820 and extending the info already available (for example, added a Verdict row). I seems I will only be able to publish the full roundup next week. In the meantime, check out and comment on the new chart.

Old 22-05-2008, 04:08 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
My experience has been you get the best experience if you use the same manufacturer e.g. Nokia A2DP stuff works best with Nokia, Sony Ericsson (who do some really nice stuff) with Sony Ericsson etc.

Generally A2DP headset nearly always works fine in my experience, but it is AVRCP that has more problems (hence comment above).

e.g. I have a Sony Ericsson A2DP speaker ball that works great with the UIQ phones, but with some Nokia the AVRCP does not work (quite important since there's no physical volume control on the speaker)...

Old 30-05-2008, 05:35 PM

Review posted to http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...d.php?p=379148
Ads