All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

Old 21-12-2008, 09:11 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
We hadn't realised that the Nokia N79 was so buggy! Firmware v11.049

The N79, which Rafe and I have played with at length (though admittedly not day to day), has received a truly huge firmware update to v11.049, with hundreds (I kid you not) of tweaks and bug fixes. Kudos to S60 Inside for getting the first detailed changelog online. As usual, if this isn't on Nokia Software Update yet, it soon will be, for non-network-crippled N79s, at least.

Read on in the full article.

Old 21-12-2008, 09:58 PM

emonty is on a distinguished road
mmm, so many fixes etc and you guys did not notice any of them????

Old 21-12-2008, 10:02 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Well, the bugs aren't really the sort of thing you'd hit unless you were using the device for real *day after day*. Personally, I only had an N79 for a week and it was a prototype - so there really wasn't any point in even mentioning bugs I DID encounter....

Old 21-12-2008, 10:50 PM

viipottaja is on a distinguished road
Yep, either it was exceptionally buggy or:

1) Nokia has changed their policy on details of changelogs (I agree: they have not, and IMHO, should not disclose in detail all the bugs that are being corrected; but people on blogs love to bitch about the lack of detail, so perhaps Nokia has decided to listen to this feedback.. hmm.. again, I think they should not or 2) the product manager has some discretion how much deail is disclosed OR 3) someone leaked the full changelog (and should get their butt whipped if they did).

Steve, EXCELLENT point btw: bloggers and geeks tend to notice many more bugs than the average Joe (99% of consumers probably never put the phone to the kind of test an average blogger/tech geek does) and then LOVE LOVE LOVE to complain about how awfully buggy this or that Nokia supposedly is and how bad Nokia's quality control is and how the particular blogger would be able to fix that in no time AND increase the profits for Nokia....

Old 22-12-2008, 02:52 AM
Unregistered

Vippottaja: agreed with u on most points. Most of these bloggers are just a bunch of self-serving, 'talk only' losers. Geeks? What qualifies them 2 be called geeks in the first place? Bill Gates' a geek, Steve Jobs a geek, and so does countless others who actually 'produce' something and not just sit in front of the pc critisizing. They should just shut the f*ck up!

Old 22-12-2008, 09:16 AM
Unregistered

Was this a "practice-update" for other FP2..

Some of these fixes the N96 also could use..

Old 22-12-2008, 11:08 AM
csc

That has to be leaked. There are internal code names in there. Wow. That's the kind of stuff that definitely shouldn't happen...

Funny to read though.

"- Phone reboot when making or receiving a call."

Yeah, ummh, I'd hope that one is fixed :p

Old 22-12-2008, 01:25 PM
Unregistered

Whether or not the list was leaked is missing the point. The real issue is the high number of bugs that supposedly went through Q&A. This is the real issue. Nokia is slipping. With each successive phone, Q&A seems to be taking a back seat to a phone release. It appears that Nokia's moto is release now, fix later. Go over to the Nokia forums and see the unhappy customers there.

Old 22-12-2008, 02:04 PM
Unregistered

Probably just a list of corrected errors from Nokia's error database. My guess is that "- Phone reboot when making or receiving a call." is just a title/ID for a bug that causes a reboot in some weird and rare situation, not that every call causes a reboot.
Ads

Old 22-12-2008, 04:35 PM

viipottaja is on a distinguished road
Hehe.. unregistered above just makes my point.

Old 22-12-2008, 07:32 PM
Unregistered

yep, those are titles of bug reports without the details.

Old 26-12-2008, 10:08 AM

Sizzers is on a distinguished road
Angry

Shame on Nokia (again!!) Was going to buy this phone today until I discovered that they've just used there customers to be guinea pigs to test the device. PHEW! What an update!! They ripped off customers launching this just after the N78 so what's next?

Old 05-01-2009, 11:43 AM
Unregistered

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Probably just a list of corrected errors from Nokia's error database. My guess is that "- Phone reboot when making or receiving a call." is just a title/ID for a bug that causes a reboot in some weird and rare situation, not that every call causes a reboot.
Well my N79 reboots at random, never mind when making a call so I'm keen to get this update but Nokia seems reluctant to actually release it :-(

Old 08-06-2010, 06:33 PM
Unregistered

Bug in Nokia N79

Hi,

This is related to Nokia N79

I have a Nokia N79 . In the calender option, Click option 'Go to Date', and write date 31.12.2100'. It displays error message 'Can only display from 1900 to 2100'. It does not display select date 31.12.2100 and instead it displays date 31.12.2100. This is a major bug of Nokia N79.

I believe this is a clear and obvious bug.

N79 has the latest firmware as far as I know.

Best regards,
Ambalika
sanyalambalika@yahoo.com