All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 29-09-2006, 12:24 AM

du9bpj is on a distinguished road
n70 startup whitescreen only

hi, i just got an N70 a week ago, it was new in box and the first time i tried it, it worked fine, after charging it, the screen froze, restarted the phone, it would only show a white screen. after a couple of tries restarting it, it worked. then after using it for two days, the screen froze again, on restarting it, it would show white screen only. again, after a couple of tries, it froze again... and this time, it would only show white screen.
tried doing a soft and hard reset (green,*,3, restart), nothing happens, just the same white screen, left it for more than 10 minutes, nothing happened.
removed the rsmmc, did all the resets, still nothing, haven't installed anything yet on this phone. is this fixable or is this phone fried? please help.

btw, im in canada, this is a gift from philippines, unlocked. it worked on fido network, but there's no help from nokia care center here in canada since it is not sold here.

thanks, jay
Ads

Old 29-09-2006, 04:21 AM

ratza is on a distinguished road
Are you sure that when you formatted with (*)(3)(green)(power on) was displayed "Formatting" with black on white background? Maybe your display is the problem.

Old 29-09-2006, 11:08 PM

i pressed *,green, 3, power on all at the same time and held it for at least 10 seconds, nothing happened, only white screen, did not show formatting...
what am i doing wrong?

Old 02-10-2006, 05:06 AM

You're not doing anything wrong. The power button must be pressed the last one, but I don't think this is the problem.Here's an idea to see if the display is the guilty one. Put your SIM into another phone, and set request for PIN to off. Insert the SIM back to your phone, power it on and after 2-3 minutes give yourself a call to see if it works. If it does, you have a faulty display/controller and you need to change it. Take it back if you have the warranty and they must fix it.

Old 04-10-2006, 12:53 PM

thanks for your replies

after awhile of not using the phone, turned it back on, it worked! i can access everything, but after 1 minute of using it, it freezes, waited a while, i think it reboots, shows the nokia logo and goes back to the main menu, then freezes, stays that wait until the battery dries out, or turns off.

have anymore ideas please. tried doing setting the pin to off, dialed my number, still it wont ring. says the number is not available. when phone is not frozen, i can dial and receive calls normally.

i also tried updating the firmware to latest version through nokia site, it was successful but still having freezing problem.

thanks for your help

Old 04-10-2006, 01:34 PM

Have you tried to power it on without MMC? Maybe is something stinky on it.
Generate the list of installed apps with FExplorer and see if it contains any SW which you didn't install.

Old 14-02-2007, 03:05 PM

Loma is on a distinguished road
same freezing/white screen problem

i have the same probl as du9bpj.
It worked almost fine.
I've updated the FW and it worked fine too. A few hours. Then it got frozen. The restart was possible only by removing the battery.
After a few freezings it doesnt start at all. It shows a white screen and that's all.
The PC doesnt recognize the phone through USB ("USB Device not recognized"). The shutdown button doesnt work. The MMC removal doesnt help. The 3 keys formatting doesnt work either.

Any idea?

One more strange thing. I tried to read the MMC with a card reader on my colleague's PC.
The same "USB Device not recognized" appeared and after the MMC was removed his computer got frozen too ... a Restart helped.

And one more even stranger thing. I've inserted my battery in another model nokia phone which uses same battery type. It worked well, showing the battery fully charged. My phone with the other battery didn't even turned on the white screen. Nothing. No sign of life in my phone. then inserted back my original battery. Same sh...t - bloody white screen.

I've read some post about flashing dead phones with a program - Phoenix. Do you thing I should try that?

Last edited by Loma; 14-02-2007 at 06:31 PM. Reason: add

Old 06-03-2007, 04:16 PM

nicesoni_ash is on a distinguished road
Dont try flashing....it wont help you...coz its only for making the phone available when its dead or to update the firmware, and as you say your phone is already having the latest firmware...so leave it...I think you should do ....one thing...first hard reset your phone...try to format your MMC thorough a card reader...then try it....may be without mmc...and remember...its all about R&D ....best of luck...

Old 07-03-2007, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicesoni_ash View Post
Dont try flashing....it wont help you...coz its only for making the phone available when its dead or to update the firmware, and as you say your phone is already having the latest firmware...so leave it...I think you should do ....one thing...first hard reset your phone...try to format your MMC thorough a card reader...then try it....may be without mmc...and remember...its all about R&D ....best of luck...
Are you sleepy or what? Reflashing is the ONLY thing which can help if your phone is not responding to any command anymore.

Old 21-03-2007, 07:20 AM

huckfinn is on a distinguished road
i have the same problem w/ you but i still can use it for a call.
i've already format it and nothing happens.i try all the ideas that i got from my friends but still it doesn't work.

bring it to a cellphone repair and this is the technician do:
- upgrade
- try new lcd
but still the problem exist,i don't know what will i do w/ my phone.pls.help me if you have any ideas.thx

Old 13-06-2007, 10:58 AM

kkashi is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Any other ideas...!?

Hello ...!!!

Sadly I'm facing the same problem ... however I've been using my N70 for over a year and all of a sudden one day it froze ... i had to remove the battery to switch it off and now it won't start up ... with or without the Sim Card or Memory Card

Any help?! ... ideas suggestions? ... I cannot format it as I desperately need to retrieve critical data from the cell ...

Regards
kkashi!

Old 25-06-2007, 01:23 PM

ddas-edEN is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

I have this same problem now with my 23-days-old brand new E62. I tried to hard reset the device by holding down the Green, 3 and * keys while rebooting. But it doesn't have any effect on the device.

Could you guys get the issues fixed? How is your experience with this device after it was fixed? Did the same thing re-occur?

In the 23 days that my E62 functioned properly, I used it heavily and was very satisfied with its performance - even though it has occassionally freezed while surfing the GPRS Internet. I was certainly amazed at its capabilities and started looking at it with a very very high esteemed device developed designed manufactured and assembled with utmost care. I waited for many months to save the money to get it. Now I'm heartbroken.

Lots of my personal data is lost I guess. Afterall, how many times a week can you take a backup of your device. At this rate-of-failure you'll always lose data.

Old 27-06-2007, 08:13 AM

5h4rk is on a distinguished road
Same problem here. I got the whitescreen since this morning =(

Any clue please

Thanks.

Old 28-06-2007, 02:52 PM

man4u2nv is on a distinguished road
maybe time to prepare for the worst

i got the 'white screen' a month ago and tried soft and hard resets, as suggested above, but no use. got it flashed and stil the same problem. bought a new lcd screen and changed it for the old one and still the problem.

took it to carphone warehouse repair center who had it a week and they couldn't do anything either so they sent it to nokia. a week later i called carphone warehouse and they told me nokia couldnt fix ity either. so now im left with a permanent white screen N70.

had the phone since jan '06 and for 18months had no problems at all. really enjoyed having it as a phone and am sad it has gone out like this. still coming to terms with life without it & its tough. only positive is that im due for upgrade now but havnt decided yet whether to get the N95 or wait for the SE W960i.

i had maintained hope that it could be resurrected at the start but now reality has kicked in. having warranty of more than one year would have helped as well as insurance. there you go sh*t happens and we just gotta move on.

Old 05-08-2009, 04:52 AM

nicesoni_ash is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratza View Post
Are you sleepy or what? Reflashing is the ONLY thing which can help if your phone is not responding to any command anymore.
I am not sleepy bro, but flashing isnt the answer of all problems, specially not for this problem.. you can reset your phone however..