All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 09-04-2007, 05:28 PM

ffcphone is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiis102 View Post
Hi Guys, wondering if you can help me to get WiFi to work. Just got a Nokia N95 on Vodafone on Monday and i cant seem to get WiFi to work. This is the first time ever ive actually used something to do with WiFi so im prolly making a mistake somewhere.

I have a 10mbit NTL broadband connection going through my Linksys WRT54GS router. Ive tried a number of things and none have worked. Heres some pictures of my router setup page located at http://192.168.1.1/.

Image 1 (Ive tested changing the wireless network mode to B/G and Mixed and none work + tried nearly every channel with no luck) - http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/3050/router1gl6.jpg
Image 2 (Ive tried 3 different Security modes - WEP - WPA Personal & WPA Personal 2 and none work) http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/4360/router2cc4.jpg
Image 3 (Here ive added my N95's mac code to the list which i blurred out and have triple checked it to make sure and its right, ive turned this mode on/off with no luck) - http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/9908/router3fm8.jpg
Image 4 (Havn't touched anything on these settings) - http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/5066/router4ep9.jpg

Ive reset my N95 to factory settings and my router but it didnt make a difference. There is a orange light on the front of my linksys on when the wireless is enabled. Right now using the settings in the images below ive done the following on my N95:

Flipped it up and it says "WLAN network found"
Next i go onto the main menu and scroll down to 'Tools'
Then down to 'WLAN Wiz'
Selecting that it scans for access points and says its found 1 which is 'ntl10mb' which is my router
So i click the top left key to go into options and selected 'Define access point'
It now asks for the Pre-Shared key for WLAN' which to my image below is 'testing123' so i enter that in and again top left key to OK and get 'ntl10mb access point defined' message
And it now says my connection is known.
So i just select top left key again and go to 'Start web browsing'
It then says 'Connecting via 'ntl10mb'' and after about 20seconds that little message goes and its just a white page loading, then after nothing loading for about 30seconds it says 'Web: No gateway reply'

This is so annoying, i was on my way back from work yesterday and i managed to make it work in the city center because it found a free wifi hotspot and let me surf around. I came home and tried but wouldn't work so i thought it was my router or something but both my N95 and router work find. I know this because last night for about 5minutes my WiFi on my N95 actually connected to my router and it let me surf around then says 'Lost connection' and hasn't worked since.

Can someone please help me? I dont know if im doing something wrong or what
I used to have similar (but not identical problems) on my Orange SPV M5000. When I connected via WiFi the homepage the device tried to access was Orange World which is restricted to connections via Orange Wap, GPRS, 3G only, not WiFi via a 3rd party provider.

Try connecting to http://www.bbc.co.uk/mobile instead of the Vodafone home page.

BTW, we have an NTL cable modem and a Belkin router and I can get my N95 connected perfectly fine. It was all very easy to setup too.

F

Old 11-04-2007, 09:26 AM

jjtribute is on a distinguished road
my n95 has just picked up my d link router and i have got google up is it free to surf net like this as i dont want to be charged need to clear this up b4 i go any further cheers chris

Old 11-04-2007, 06:32 PM

N/A is on a distinguished road
If you go through your own Wi-Fi/WLAN router, then the only one charging you is whomever you pay for the Internet connection your router is connected to.

Old 06-05-2007, 12:45 AM

GN95 is on a distinguished road
Richard

Did you resolve the problems where you couldn't disconnect and the resultant lockups?

G

Old 08-05-2007, 06:00 PM

razzer365 is on a distinguished road
cost of wireless router connection???

hi can i just ask a quick yes no question. i have just bought the n95 and am waitin for it to come, if i was to get a wireless router and connect it up to the phone would the network charge anything for this use of the internet on my phone or is it nothing to do with them.
thanks
ryan

Old 08-05-2007, 06:39 PM

xerxes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by razzer365 View Post
hi can i just ask a quick yes no question. i have just bought the n95 and am waitin for it to come, if i was to get a wireless router and connect it up to the phone would the network charge anything for this use of the internet on my phone or is it nothing to do with them.
thanks
ryan
Its nothing to do with them.

Old 08-05-2007, 07:02 PM

razzer365 is on a distinguished road
Phone Handset

cheers mate
and another question about this internet thing is it only sites like google you can visit or does the n95 have full internet capabilities to every site
thanks razza

Old 09-05-2007, 02:25 AM

akkh is on a distinguished road
For those who have the "no gateway reply" problem. Try this on your N95 setting.

Use the "Hex" instead of "ASCII" and enter the 26 Hex code (From A-F and 0-9).

Old 09-05-2007, 03:49 AM

vin_eme is on a distinguished road
Can pls explain in detail of what has to be done.....

Old 09-05-2007, 04:34 AM

akkh is on a distinguished road
Go to Tools/Settings/Connection/Access points/ur_access_point_name/WLAN security settings/WEP key settings

(Assuming your are using WEP Security Encryption)

WEP encryption: 128 bits
WEP ley format: Hexadecimal
WEP key : ABCDEF0123456789 (must be 26 characters from A-F and 0-9, I just key in some dummy characters for demo purpose only)

Old 17-10-2007, 09:35 AM

sid_khan is on a distinguished road
Hi, I have a Nokia N95. I was under the impression, if i was to browse WLAN networks and if it is not protected with a WEP/Password i can browse the net for free. I am on Tmobile and my phone is from Tmobile. However when i connect the the WLAN following the prompts and make a connection, its brings amsg something like no gateway and web and walk?? Can some one please help me.... how can i browse the net for free using the free Wireless network we ahve at university?? PLease help!

Old 17-10-2007, 09:41 AM

Unplugged is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid_khan View Post
Hi, I have a Nokia N95. I was under the impression, if i was to browse WLAN networks and if it is not protected with a WEP/Password i can browse the net for free. I am on Tmobile and my phone is from Tmobile. However when i connect the the WLAN following the prompts and make a connection, its brings amsg something like no gateway and web and walk?? Can some one please help me.... how can i browse the net for free using the free Wireless network we ahve at university?? PLease help!
Not true its all dependant on how the network is set up. You can only rearlly use the WIFI to browse the web if it gets an IP and an open gateway over DHCP once connected. T-Mobile have renamed the browser to "Web n Walk" annoying but basically regardless of the connection No Gateway Reply means there no Internet Carrier.

The majority of Universitys use some sort of Proxy system for the Internet which is usually restricted by MAC address so they can control what machines can access the web and what they can do on the web. You will need to know if the University uses DHCP (and if not assign yourself / borrow) an IP from another machine and/or the proxy details (if the N95 allows you to define them on the acces point) for Web Traffic.

They may have non wep/wpa protection on the WIFI too such as Mac Filtering.

Old 17-10-2007, 11:50 AM

waxup is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplugged View Post
You can only really use the WIFI to browse the web if it gets an IP and an open gateway over DHCP once connected.
If you know the subnet of the network you are trying to connect to you can manually set your IP address, subnet mask, gateway and DNS settings.

Try this sid_khan:

goto "tools> Settings> Access points" and select the defined access point you are trying to connect to, for demonstration we'll call this "test"

select the access point (ie "test") and select "options> Advanced settings," under "IPv4 settings" enter an IP address of : 192.168.0.112
Enter a subnet mask of: 255.255.255.0
Enter a default gateway of: 192.168.0.1
keep DNS address as "automatic"

Now back out and exit all the menus and try the internet on that access point (ie: "test")

The numbers above are the most common network settings among most users. Essentially what you are doing is providing yourself your own IP to be used on the network incase DHCP is not enable on the network's router.

If those settings do not work, you could try changing the numbers above to the following:

IP address of : 192.168.1.112
Enter a default gateway of: 192.168.1.1

OR

IP address of : 192.168.2.112
Enter a default gateway of: 192.168.2.1

OR

IP address of : 10.0.0.12
Enter a default gateway of: 10.0.0.1

If neither of those work then they could have other securities set like MAC address filtering or another IP addressing scheme.

Hope this helps.

Old 17-10-2007, 11:16 PM

Unplugged is on a distinguished road
Well yes setting an IP address will work if you know the subnet however a subnet of 255.255.255.0 will only give you 255 usable addresses. Most colleges have more than 255 devices so you will prob find there on a private Class B address and not a Class C. You *can* get IP address range and subnet from another machines relativly easily however not many educational establishments will have direct internet access without some sort of transparant or non transparant proxy or managed gateway. most partucually college systems will allow you access to the WiFi or you can gain access using an IP Address but will find the Internet is controlled by a Mac Filtering System.

If your looking for jacking someones connection guessing their subnet is a pretty long and gory way to go about it.

Old 18-10-2007, 11:01 AM

waxup is on a distinguished road
My apologies, I didn't catch that it was for a university network.
The IP addressing schemes I had posted are for most basic home networks.

A subnet of 255.255.255.0 will only yield a possible 254 hosts, not 255.
Just to add to the confusion, a big ISP might own several contiguous class C licenses, combine them and create subnets bigger than 254 hosts. So you will sometimes see a Class B-style subnet mask like 255.255.192.0 being used on a Class C licence address.

But lets not get into anything more confusing.

Now that I know you're trying to connect to a campus network, you'll probably have to go through the universities IT department for them to allow your phone access to the network. I'm sure they'll be impressed with your device too so they'll probably help you out.