All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 27-07-2007, 01:42 AM

Elzo is on a distinguished road
I recently unlocked and debranded my N95 off UK Vodafone (to o2 as it happens) using the site www.fonefunshop.co.uk, its excellent. Costly, but fantastic.

Old 13-08-2007, 08:19 AM

craigooooooo is on a distinguished road
Questions about n95 on vodafone

HI ALL

i jus brought a nokia n95 from ebay locked onto vodafone, i want to use it on o2.
i think the last guy who had this phone was on contract. ive heard rumours that if he stopped paying his bill or reported it lost/stolen (jus so he can get anova phone) vodafone can completely stop the mobile from working (i have no idea how this would work im jus curious about the rumours) .....
is this true????

also does anybody know how to unlock this mobile for free and without contacting vodafone.

Thanks

Old 13-08-2007, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
Well if he reports it stolen its very likely to be locked. As for not paying his bill, I dont know about that one. They would lock it by blocking the IMEI number.

No you cannot unlock it for free, not even if you put new firmware on it. Only nokia can do it, via the network operator (vodafone in this case).

Beware of anyone saying they can on ebay, they would only go through the same channels vodafone do, or sell you software which would not work.

Old 13-08-2007, 08:26 AM

wna unlock n95

oh rite......

wel if they have locked the phone is there anything i can do about it ?????

and what happens when they block the imei ???? i wudnt kno i dont have a vodafone sim and obviously havnt unlocked it yet ???????

and thanks for the reply

Old 13-08-2007, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator

If they lock the phone no. Theres rumours that you can change IMEI numbers, but thats highly illegal and I dont even know if its possible with the N95.

As far as I know, when a phone is blocked, it simply wont work, at all. AFAIK its as good as a brick once locked.

Unlocking doesnt make much difference to vodafone, it wont alert them or anything. Just hope the guy you got it off of doesnt claim on insurance saying it was stolen or something.

Old 13-08-2007, 09:03 AM

Navs is on a distinguished road
Yep once the IMEI number has been blocked (like bartmanekul said) the phone will basically be a brick although it should work in "offline" mode so use the camera mp3's etc just no calls or texts.

The IMEI numbers are blocked if the original owner stops paying his contractual bill or he reports it stolen. You have more chance of begging outside a nokia store for a free N95 than gettting an IMEI number unblocked im afraid.

A lot of phones are sold through ebay to make a quick buck on all the new flash phones people get via free or very cheap upgrades, so for some its too irresistible to not make a quick £300-500 profit instantly.

Old 13-08-2007, 09:31 AM

unlock nokia n95

oh rite ...... well i dont know if he has reported it stolen YET or even if he will i was just curious because a friend of myne had the same problem.

i dont think ill trust ebay with this kind of thing again.

so basically at the end of the day if he has claimed on insurance then the phone is blocked and cant be used???? is that just a simple case of the phone wont recieve signal??

and also is this the case with pay&go phones (sorry this has nothing to do with my problem im just curious now lol)

thanks for all replies

Old 13-08-2007, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, it will not connect to any network. Of course if it does get locked you could always report it to the police and say where you got it from. I have no idea of the outcome of this though. I dont know if it stops any of the phones other features though. Im sure on some phones it just locks it completely, and thats the end of it.

Ive bought a number of phones on ebay, its fine if your careful and know what your doing. In fact, I got my 6110 navigator from there.

And yes, pay as you go phones can be locked, but I would imagine this is rare (as there no discount on them like a contract) unless they are genuinely stolen and the IMEI was recorded.

Old 13-08-2007, 11:36 AM

n95

ive just been reading up on changin imei number..... what is the point???
if there is the risk of getting caught and going to prison why would anybody do it???

i think my n95 will be fine the guy i brought it off is a nice enough guy so im sure its fine... even tho its not always the case im keeping my hopes up lol

also a question about the 6110 navigator .... you said you had 1.... how is it for the SAT NAV because my dad needs it for his job and really likes the look of them just wants to know what they are like and how reliable they are etc...

Old 13-08-2007, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
ive just been reading up on changin imei number..... what is the point???
if there is the risk of getting caught and going to prison why would anybody do it???
Well you could say the same for anything

Quote:
i think my n95 will be fine the guy i brought it off is a nice enough guy so im sure its fine... even tho its not always the case im keeping my hopes up lol
If you PM me the link to the auction or profile of the guy you got it from I'll look and offer my opinion if its bothering you. Bear in mind I'll know what your ebay profile name is, not that it means much but just so you know. Ive bought and sold a fair few phones on ebay.

Quote:
also a question about the 6110 navigator .... you said you had 1.... how is it for the SAT NAV because my dad needs it for his job and really likes the look of them just wants to know what they are like and how reliable they are etc...
I love the phone. Its f**king awesome as far as Im concerned. I tend to get a GPS lock very well, although I have heard other 6110 navigator users say its been iffy.

My personal opinion of the mapping software with it (the latest route66) is poor. I like pretty much everything about it except the routing seems to be utterly crap. However, many people report using it fine.

As far as phones go, its the best Ive ever had. If you have any specific questions I'll do my best to answer them.

Old 13-08-2007, 12:20 PM

6110 navigator

just a few questions bout the 6110 navigator .........

(they may sound stupid but bear in mind i suck with regards to mobile phones lol)

does the SAT NAV run in the same sort of way as the internet on mobiles.... like u pay for the location u r looking 4?? or is it all internal?

how much did you get yours for??? (probs lookin to buy in about a month or so )

and and how easy is it to use cos my dad is abit of a technofobe lol dosnt get on with electronics

Old 13-08-2007, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
does the SAT NAV run in the same sort of way as the internet on mobiles.... like u pay for the location u r looking 4?? or is it all internal?
In general, no. It depends on the satnav package. The one that comes with it (route66) does not. Nor does tomtom, copilot, navigon, and some others. However there are some which do use data transfer. Wayfinder is one of these, and nokia maps will do if you dont download the maps prior to using it.

Basically, if you need advice about a certain satnav product, ask in a forum (this one).

However, the 6110 and the N95 (with latest firmware) use something called AGPS. I dont know how much you know about satnav, but this helps it get a lock quicker. Unfortunatly it also uses data, which might cost you depending on the package you get from your network (vodafone etc).

My has been fine without AGPS (you can turn it off), so it seems ok in that respect.

Quote:
how much did you get yours for??? (probs lookin to buy in about a month or so )
Under 300, but bear in mind that was simfree, and when they were not really released yet, certainly not by any mobile companies.

I suspect now you will find them much cheaper.

Quote:
and and how easy is it to use cos my dad is abit of a technofobe lol dosnt get on with electronics
Thats incrediably difficult to say, some get the knack easily, some cant no matter how much they try.

If you ask me, the nokia menus are some of the best, and the 6110 even has a dedicated satnav button (this just means he doesnt have to go through the menus to get to satnav).

If he doesnt have a problem texting, it shouldnt be too hard in working out the satnav.

Old 13-08-2007, 05:13 PM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartmanekul View Post
If they lock the phone no. Theres rumours that you can change IMEI numbers, but thats highly illegal and I dont even know if its possible with the N95.

As far as I know, when a phone is blocked, it simply wont work, at all. AFAIK its as good as a brick once locked.

Unlocking doesnt make much difference to vodafone, it wont alert them or anything. Just hope the guy you got it off of doesnt claim on insurance saying it was stolen or something.
I think there's confusion here between the terms BLOCKED and LOCKED.

Phones are blocked by registering the IMEI number of handsets reported lost or stolen in a Europe Wide shared Database. All the European networks have access to this database and agree to refuse to register on the network any handset whose IMEI number is in the DB. (Un)fortunataly, I believe if you take a BLOCKED handset outside of Europe it will work OK as networks in those countries don't have access to the European DB. This would imply 2 things:-

1. A blocked handset is no different to an unblocked one. All that happens is hat the networks refuse to allow blocked IMEI's to access the phone network.

2. If you changed the IMEI number of a blocked handset, it would no longer be blocked.

WARNING: If you change the IMEI number in Europe and are caught, I believe it's 5 years in jail and an unlimited fine.

As for Locked/Unlocked, that's where one network locks the handset to their service, requiring an UNLOCK code to allow the handset to work with other network's SIM cards.

Old 13-08-2007, 05:15 PM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigooooooo View Post
oh rite......

wel if they have locked the phone is there anything i can do about it ?????

and what happens when they block the imei ???? i wudnt kno i dont have a vodafone sim and obviously havnt unlocked it yet ???????

and thanks for the reply

If the ebay seller reported the phone lost or stolen, he would need a police Crime Reference number before the handset could be blocked. I suspect he would need a CR number to do an insurance claim. In any event, if you can prove you bought it from the seller (PayPal, Personal Cheque, etc.), the seller he could then be arrested for fraud. You would still own a blocked phone but you could then try to get your money back in a CCJ / Small Claims court action against the seller.

Last edited by dez_borders; 13-08-2007 at 05:19 PM.

Old 13-08-2007, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dez_borders View Post
I think there's confusion here between the terms BLOCKED and LOCKED.
Whoops, my bad. Well done for clarifying that.