All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > Symbian Based Devices > S60 (Series 60) > Nokia N95 and N95 8GB

Old 24-07-2007, 12:13 AM

autopilot is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wez69 View Post
nokiahead ive also heard if you press Alt + F4 your PC will give you pop up instructions how to install the patch... Why dont you try it see if it works.
What a complete ****.

In the meantime, any more thoughts on doing by ourselves? GPSmidlands think it's possible.

Does anyone know how to edit the N95's 'registry' or whatever it's called?

Old 24-07-2007, 02:11 AM

monica _69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by autopilot View Post
What a complete ****.

In the meantime, any more thoughts on doing by ourselves? GPSmidlands think it's possible.

Does anyone know how to edit the N95's 'registry' or whatever it's called?
wouldn't that be "hacking" ???

should this be discussed at "allaboutsymbian" ???

why not wait for TomTom to release a "legit" retail version that supports the N95's internal GPS ???

Old 24-07-2007, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
I dont think so. There are developer tools provided by nokia, although I dont know if these allow you to see the registary.
Edit: GPS midlands are not a company to be trusted. Its turned out its a kid running it from his bedroom and the patch never existed.

See here for details: http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...=62954&page=29

And also the next page from that.

Its not actually hacking anything, as your not changing anything on the phone, and your not changing anything on tomtom, your merely looking for the ports.

However, even if someone did change the program, I dont feel thats in any way underhand.

Its not as if its taking money from anyone. If tomtom made a patch, then Id happily pay for it - like their software, when I could have very easily got a hacked version - but they wont even tell people if they are working on a patch. Let alone when one might be out.

If this patch doesnt turn up, and no-one can 'hack' it, then I'll have to go elsewhere for a satnav program. Either copilot, or Navigon. Copilot is already compatible, and Navigon said they will be in August/September.

If tomtom sorted it out, or even just let me know when a patch would be coming, Id be buying their updated maps.

Last edited by bartmanekul; 15-08-2007 at 03:15 PM.
Ads

Old 24-07-2007, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica _69 View Post

why not wait for TomTom to release a "legit" retail version that supports the N95's internal GPS ???

Ahh, Monica. Welcome back

Wrong again though sorry "Hacking" is perfectly legal, we can do what we like with our phones. I.e. not breaking any copyright laws at all, just getting the software we paid for to work in the way we like. All "Hacking" is sometimes is changing hidden settings. It may invalidate a warranty (not automatically, just if the fault developed can be proven to be down to your actions), but that's the owners privilege.

"Cracking" on the other hand usually does imply illegal activities, such as reverse engineering software and modifying it to circumvent copy protection measures.

You have been watching too much TV, Hollywood have got there terms wrong

You can buy a legit version for TomTom for the N95 already, it's just a S60v3 version. The thing is though, it's a fairly trivial process getting the software to use the internal GPS. All that happens is that the software connects to a different virtual port. You see technology like this is modular, in that things like the GPS work almost independently from the main system - the interaction (control) between the GPS chipset and the software is relatively limited. The application just connects to a "port" from which it is fed a data, such as the actual co-ords and other data like connection status. It the same with Bluetooth, the BT subsystem does all the work and the software just connects to another port are far as it's concerned. It's the same with GPRS etc, accept that in some cases data/request can be sent the other way to use the present API commands. Thats why people are wrong when they say one application can get a lock faster than another - it can't, although some software is more clever about what it does with that data.

You see thats why Route66 works, it's shows how easy it is. Obviously in R66 the software just looks for a port transmitting GPS data. It's no mystery like some people think. It's just that the option screen is missing from the S60 TomTom, but a setting is somewhere that could be changed if we knew what we where doing.

xxx

Last edited by autopilot; 24-07-2007 at 10:31 AM.

Old 24-07-2007, 10:31 AM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It's only hacking if you are trying to bypass software licensing or steal data. However, gpsmidlands stated TomTom have given them permission to distribute the patch once the license issue is fixed.

Quote:
Try waiting for TT to release a legitimate whilst simultaneously holding your breath - pretty soon you will give up waiting or cease to care.

Quote:
Does each tongue represent 10 people for whom you have signed a dev-cert for r66? haha

Old 24-07-2007, 10:51 AM

bobthebuilder is on a distinguished road
Smile N95 TomTom Patch

Spoke to GPS Midlands this morning who say that the patch will be up and ready for downloading on monday next week and that it will be a free download.

keep your fingers crossed

Old 24-07-2007, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

Eh?

Free? That doesnt sound right. I hope so, but it just makes me more cynical about the whole thing.

Still, if it is and it works, I'll be sending them a very very greatful email. Maybe even a fiver via paypal or something. (Im really saving hard, but I always think effort should be rewarded).

Old 24-07-2007, 11:44 AM

sbc is on a distinguished road
So a creepy little online company have got the TT N95 fix ready, that no one on the planet knows about, including TomTom? The same company that yesterday said it WAS available on their site, then when asked told it would be available on wednesday, now changing it to monday?

I smell a big fat stinking rat here! Obviously they are trying to generate traffic, attract curious visitors looking for that fickle N95 patch, who just might buy something when they are on the site anyway.

DON'T buy anything from this company!

Old 24-07-2007, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebuilder View Post
Spoke to GPS Midlands this morning who say that the patch will be up and ready for downloading on monday next week and that it will be a free download.

keep your fingers crossed
Great, now it's Monday next week. This has happend a few times. I think they are stringing us a line regarding the date.

And why would it not be free? Why is that suspect? So long as it does not allow unlicensed copies being run, it's in both their interests and TomTom. A lot of people would buy it when it works with the N95 fully. Both GPSmidlands (who sell tomtom) and Tomtom would obviously benifit from greater sales.

If they charged for it, that would seem even more suspect in a way. It's not their product they are patching. It would be like profiting from other peoples product. i don't know how they could get away with charging for it, but thay have told some people they will and other it's free. It seems to change every day.

I have to admit, while i lean towards the 'it's true' side, there is something a bit odd about the whole thing. We will have to see.

Last edited by autopilot; 24-07-2007 at 12:00 PM.

Old 24-07-2007, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbc View Post
So a creepy little online company have got the TT N95 fix ready, that no one on the planet knows about, including TomTom? The same company that yesterday said it WAS available on their site, then when asked told it would be available on wednesday, now changing it to monday?

I smell a big fat stinking rat here! Obviously they are trying to generate traffic, attract curious visitors looking for that fickle N95 patch, who just might buy something when they are on the site anyway.

DON'T buy anything from this company!

You are entitled to your opinion. But could you please justify those statements.

What makes them creepy? It's a very poorly designed website, i give you that, but creepy?

As well as doing PDA repairs, they are also developers. Why do you think TomTom don't know them, they claim to be tomtom partners?

And why not buy anything from them? A bit of googling will tell you that they have been around for some time and have have satisfied customers. In fact i could not find a single bad word about them.

And generating traffic? Come on, there are far better ways to generate traffic to a web site! Although the thing that bugs me is that it say "available now".

So please tell us the reasoning behind your assumptions. I'm not saying your wrong, but i would love to hear why you think this

Last edited by autopilot; 24-07-2007 at 12:06 PM.

Old 24-07-2007, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

I agree, calling them a creepy little company is unjustified.

As for it being free, I said it makes me more cynical. Doesnt make them suspect Reason being, its too good to be true, and in my expirence that never works out.

But I cant see a company just doing that to generate web traffic. I also wouldnt be suprised it tomtom told them they cannot profit from it, although Im unsure as to how the legality works, and it obviously depends on what the patch modifies too.

Just wait and see I suppose. Hopefully it doesnt get put back, and Im not even sure it will work on my phone yet (6110), as it could use different ports etc from the N95.

Old 24-07-2007, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dez_borders View Post
Does each tongue represent 10 people for whom you have signed a dev-cert for r66? haha
actually dez, 10 is a very low estimate, I've lost count, it's well over 200

autopilot: wow, you are soooooooo smart

Old 24-07-2007, 02:44 PM

Quote:
actually dez, 10 is a very low estimate, I've lost count, it's well over 200

Why not just provided them with a link to the step-by-step guide you where using?

Quote:
autopilot: wow, you are soooooooo smart
No, i have just got a good few years on you

OT: You have seemed to have taken a great dislike to me, which is fine. It all started when i warned you that what you were posting was a potential problem for this site and yourself. So you attacked me for essentially just warning you. The whole thread was not needed, all the info was just being cut and paste from another. You were right in hindsight, they don't care and they are happy the traffic it has generated. Either that, or Route66 have told them it's fine as they could do with the market share and increased user base, who knows. Anyway, my point is rather than just jumping into threads with irrelevant piss taking, either PM or leave us to our conversation. Or just get over it. I admit i have bite back when i should have known better, but it's boring TBH. Thanks.

Last edited by autopilot; 24-07-2007 at 03:19 PM.

Old 24-07-2007, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by autopilot View Post
Why not just provided them with a link to the step-by-step guide you where using?

No, i have just got a good few years on you

OT: You have seemed to have taken a great dislike to me, which is fine. It all started when i warned you that what you were posting was a potential problem for this site and yourself. So you attacked me for essentially just warning you. The whole thread was not needed, all the info was just being cut and paste from another. You were right in hindsight, they don't care and they are happy the traffic it has generated. Either that, or Route66 have told them it's fine as they could do with the market share and increased market share, who knows. Anyway, my point is rather than just jumping into threads with irrelevant piss taking, either PM or leave us to our conversation. Or just get over it. I admit i have bite back when i should have known better, but it's boring TBH. Thanks.
autopilot : there is NO link to the step-by-step

I am the author of my own detailed step-by-step guide

I've gathered info via google just like anyone else can. I took the time to type it all out step by step for dummies. Those who I have helped via pm have almost a 100% success rate. Those who can't get it running have trouble reading and following instructions. I do not respond to every pm because (I know it's hard to believe) I have a life.

no, I do not dislike you. I simply did not agree with a few of your earlier comments. that's just my opinion.

I did not attack you, you attacked me...something about "shoving it...arse..."

I was not the first to start posting "warez" links. The mods did not delete, so I decided to add some info that I had gathered. I was warned by the mods, so I stopped, simple as that.

true, that thread has generated alot of traffic, great for them...

take care for now

Old 24-07-2007, 07:48 PM

sbc is on a distinguished road
Why they are creepy? Yes, a poorly unprofessionally designed website, but also the fact that they advertize stuff on the front page which millions of N95 users are looking for, yet when asked they have yet to proof it exsist. Instead they just push the 'release date' while generating a huge amount of traffic. No doubt the largest amount they have EVER seen. Can you imagine the amount of $ they'd have to put into banners and so on to gain the same effect? We are talking very big money here. So is there really a better way to generate traffic than to claim they have what everybody wants? That sounds amazing!

TomTom partners just mean they are allowed to sell the TomTom product. Big deal. They are allowed to make money for TomTom, what business aren't?

Don't you think TomTom have heard about the Nokia N95? Don't you think they have discussed financial ascpects of releasing either a patch for the N95 or to wait for TT7 to be ready?
Creating a patch is not that hard for TomTom. Why would they need outside assistance for that? Just give the program the option to listen to more ports for GPS data than what is currently available. It would take a few weeks including testing, so it could have been ready months ago. But while it can help out here and now and maybe make a few N95 users buy v6, waiting for v7 to be ready would force every N95 + TT owner to pay for an upgrade, providing TT with a huge profit margin. Suddenly allowing a 3. party to create and release a patch just doesn't make any sense.

When have you last seen a huge piece of software being updated by a small, unknow 3. party company? When did GrandmasCookies.com provide an update to core system files of Windows Vista? songsrus.com provide an update to iPhone? It just doesn't happen, because the software owner would never allow it. How would they deal with new bugs introduced by this unknown company? TomTom support could be going red hot and they wouldn't know what to do, because they didn't make the update. Besides, the reverse engineering needed to make a patch is SO illegal.

If you wanna give a company your money based on the fact that they are spreading a story you'd LIKE to believe, then go ahead. But I think most of us really don't wanna support that way of doing business, because we KNOW they'll do it again if it works, and so will others.

If it turns out to be the real deal after all, I'd be happy to accept that I was wrong. Very happy. But... If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.