All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > Symbian Based Devices > S60 (Series 60) > Nokia N95 and N95 8GB

Old 25-07-2007, 12:23 PM

autopilot is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbc View Post
A third option would be to manually patch the TT program to look directly at the N95 GPS port. That can be done by someone with the right knowledge, but it would be illegal as TT would never accept that. Maybe this is what happened to the 7.3.468 version of R66?
My guess is that R66 had some kind of routine to scan all available ports that had the standard GPS data (NMEA protocol etc) on them. It could have been for other reasons, that fact the took it out in later versions could possibly just be co-incidence or even that they felt there was no need and optimised the code for faster start-ups etc?

Personally to me it's just another example to how easy (from a developers point of view) using the N95 GPS actually is, as well as all the home made 'amateur' type stuff that has been using the N95's internal GPS almost since the N95 came out. And why i find it perfectly believable that anyone with experience could easily get TomTom working by manipulating the ports - even a small firm like GPSmidlands. You might not even have to tell tomtom to look at another port, but change the actual ports around in the N95.

No one has a problem with in, TomTom can only be holding out for business plan reasons (Version 7 upgrades) IMO.

What gets me, is why it's not been done by anyone else. (maybe someone has, there is an assumption that everything anyone ever does is instantly all over the net. Thats usually right but sometimes wrong).

Last edited by autopilot; 25-07-2007 at 12:47 PM.

Old 25-07-2007, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartmanekul View Post
Does that mean you have tried it? Ive been looking for someone who has tried copilot, and I mean properly tried it.

If you have, pleeaasseee could you give me a review on how it was, especially the postcodes and routing?
My friend has it, i tried it a few weeks back with him. I was pretty impressed on the whole and he said he was very impressed with the routing most of the time. It's got a lot of features that most satnav does not have, like internet tracking. It also support custom user POI's - so you can add speed camera locations to it.

It's waaaay better than R66, another league, and it's a par with TomTom IMO, but i still like TomTom the most. I find the interface easier (make tha safer) than copilot on a non-touch screen device (i also use Windows Mobile alot and think Copilot is very good on that too).

Also, the wife likes tomtom, finding the UI very easy, and thats a bonus! I think copilot might annoy her a little bit in the short term. But there is not that much in it these days.

But i dont think anyone would be disappointed with copilot, in some ways its more advanced than TomTom.

Old 25-07-2007, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
Thanks so much, Ive wanted a review for ages, not one from a site which never seems to do it in depth.

Sadly, copilot seems to be the most expensive out the lot, but I'll wait and see what Monday brings and decide then. Hold out for Navigon, or go with copilot?

Anything helpful in deciding the issue would be appriciated!

I think this thread shows the need for a proper, decent satnav system on the N95 (and 6110) that uses the internal reciever.

By the looks of it, copilot might be the only one so far.

*please note Ive deliberatly missed a few. Im only counting proper satnav system, so not nokia maps, wayfinder (which uses up a hideous amount of data) or route66. Not including route66 is arguably wrong, but after much use I found the routing could be so bad as to make it useless.*

Last edited by bartmanekul; 25-07-2007 at 12:42 PM.

Old 25-07-2007, 12:42 PM

Copilot is very polished and works will with the N95's GPS. You can get it for around the £65 mark - see here - http://www.globalpositioningsystems....scription.html

Don't know a lot about Navigon, but i have seen "demo's" on the net and thought it already works on the N95's internal GPS?
Ads

Old 25-07-2007, 12:49 PM

PS, i'm supprised people did not know about all the software thats been using the N95's GPS for ages now?! Is that a posible reason people might think GPSmidland might be telling porkies?

Old 25-07-2007, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

Not that Im aware of, on the compatibility page it shows the N95, 6110 navigator and a few others 'coming soon'.

That doesnt mean it doesnt work already though, but Ive seen not a dickybird about it (and trust me Ive looked).

I asked them:

When they would bring out versions for the N95 and 6110

If it would use the internal GPS

Would it have 7 digit postcode UK search (because this wasnt listed on their current products).

They said:

Yes, in August or September

Yes

Unsure, check product details when released (odd that, Id have thought they would know that one in advance).

As its just under £70 for all of europe, compared to the same for just the UK, Navigon wins. However, if copilot really is near tomtom standards (and it encourages me that you say its waaay better than R66) its probably worth biting the bullet for.

Yeah, its suprising people didnt know about viewranger especially. Im told thats very good, and I'll certainly get it at some point, maybe when I have cash, ho ho.

I did look at wayfinder, but thats an instant no due to data charges. Even if you download routes beforehand (pita) then it still uses data to plan the route.

In fact, Ive decided. Enough farting about. Will wait for Monday, may as well, and if the patch oddly enough hasnt materialised, I'll buy copilot.

So if its no good, I'll blame you

Of course, this is all moot if it doesnt work with the 6110 navigator, Im just presuming it does. If not, Im up shit creek without a paddle.

Last edited by bartmanekul; 25-07-2007 at 12:56 PM.

Old 25-07-2007, 01:01 PM

pa49 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by autopilot View Post
Plenty do mate. Copilot, Viewranger, mobile Google maps, to name just a few.

As for the API questions, i'm not sure it's all that complicated really. I'm not a mobile developer, i'm possibly wrong here, but from what i know it's just a case of the software 'listening' to the port that the standardised GPS data (used by all GPS systems) is being transmitted on. In essence, the software does not know the difference between bluetooth or internal, it's just need to be told to look at, for example, port 0027 or 0041 or whatever. Using the Nokia's GPS should be a piece of cake for any Symbian developer and this has been shown by the number of 'home brew' like programs that already use the GPS. Would made the GPS chipset (i heard something to do with Toshiba) should be irrelevant. Thats why all brands of bluetooth GPS units 'just work' without any extra software/drivers. The GPS application does not need to interact that deeply with the hardware.
I stand corrected on the 3rd party software point although I think they were all out earlier than the N95. I meant stuff written specifically with the N95 in mind, but, I don't know the chronology!
I think your other comments are basically correct, however, APIs hang on the OS a little like dlls in windows and although the theory is simple I have a feeling that the reality is not as straight forward.
APIs should get manufacturer approval for working with the OS and they do like to release their own. I know some cause clashes on the N95!
Any Application Programming Interface should work the same with whatever software but some producers take liberties and this is what the phone manufacturers don't like! Cos it buggers up the OS stability! Sound familiar?
Having said all that you would have thought that they would have sorted it by now!

Old 25-07-2007, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartmanekul View Post
it encourages me that you say its waaay better than R66) its probably worth biting the bullet for.
Trust me on this one, R66 is pathetic compared to the latest Copilot. Seriously, it's no contest

Old 25-07-2007, 01:23 PM

bchliu is on a distinguished road
Interesting seeing everyone slag out on everyone else on this topic. But think of this.

1) How many people was saying R66 on the N95 was not possible - yet a hacked one appeared and everyone got a copy?

2) The hack that appeared was because someone took out the libraries from the original program and rerouted the Bluetooth routines back into the onboard Location API features. Since TomTom is also quite modular in the same sense (to allow for library or componental upgrades), then maybe this might also work in some same degree?

3) Why the HELL is R66 releasing version 7 for N95/E90 (internal GPS) now? They already have a S60S3 option of version 8 that is natively running on the 6110 Navigator. How hard is it to pull that out to be ported to the N95/E90 given its basically a cut down version of the same platform?

(and Monica.. this is quite topical from what I can see here and am here to discuss about this out of interest. Unlike the previous posts, I am not conveying the practice of Piracy (which is different from the hacking that you referred to previously) nor am I teaching the rest of the world to use the pirated version of R66. THAT should be discussed offline or in other pirate boards (which I am sure you are familar with) and not here. I am sure most of the legit people here would agree with that..

Old 25-07-2007, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchliu View Post
They already have a S60S3 option of version 8 that is natively running on the 6110 Navigator. How hard is it to pull that out to be ported to the N95/E90 given its basically a cut down version of the same platform?
Is it cut down? I thought the op system was the same, apart from some of the media capibilties. If it is cut down in some way, would this effect any satnav software I will put on there, because Im hedging my bets that what works on an N95 (using the internal reciever) will work on a 6110 navigator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchliu View Post
I am sure most of the legit people here would agree with that..
From someone who always buys the software, yes.

Old 25-07-2007, 02:00 PM

sbc is on a distinguished road
The site in question has been updated with the following text
Quote:
Nokia N95 Patch

Use the N95 Internal GPS Receiver with TomTom

We are amending the source code and the new solution will be available shortly!!

Please note this patch will be free of charge and will not include the TomTom Navigator 6 symbian 60 V3 software
So they aren't messing with the original software after all, which makes it all sound a LOT more plausible. Perhaps they are making a loader instead? That could explain why a previous version could give registration issues...

Old 25-07-2007, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator

Now thats interesting. Did anyone tell them? Otherwise someone is probably watching this thread.

Either way, I'll wait for it before buying copilot. I'll give it till Friday 3rd, as I dont have to do any major journeys for a while. If its not out by then, it probably never will be.

Mind you, if its a loader, thats not strictly speaking a patch is it?

Old 25-07-2007, 02:20 PM

sbc is on a distinguished road
No, a loader can't normally be considered a patch. Well, only if the loader patches the N95 which it must do in order to work, kinda making this a bit complicated... And yes, no doubt they ARE aware of this thread. They can back track the hits they receive and no doubt they want to know why they suddenly get so many from this site

Last edited by sbc; 25-07-2007 at 02:22 PM.

Old 25-07-2007, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

Well, whatever it is, if it comes out I hope it works with the 6110. Its likely, but not a dead cert.

Old 25-07-2007, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbc View Post
So they aren't messing with the original software after all, which makes it all sound a LOT more plausible.
HALLELUJAH!!!

That's what we (and allegedly GPSMidlands) have been saying virtually all along, before you started calling us naive, stupid and saying the company in question are creepy liars!

Now you have actually stopped making assumptions without fully thinking about all the facts, the penny is starting to drop and you can see why it's possible and why some of use believe there is a good possibility it's real.

Yeah, it's basically a reg hack (or Symbian equivalent).

No if there was only someone around here with a greater knowledge of the Symbian OS.

At last, this thread getting somewhere