All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 28-12-2007, 08:17 PM

JNGold is on a distinguished road
Can't find too many options for these type of apps...

Hey all. For the past couple of months I have been contemplating replacing my WM device with something else. Obviously, since I am posting here, the s60 platform, more specifically the N95 (US 8GB)is one of the devices I am considering.

However, before I consider the move away from WM, I need to do some investigation of the applications that a given platform offers. In this respect, some of the apps that I have come to rely on I am finding in very short number on the S60 platform.

1. The only real decent weather app I have been able to find is Handy Weather. Looks like a nice app but come on, 13 bucks every year for a subscription? Give me a break. Shouldn't have to pay 13 bucks each year you want to use the application, especially for weather.

WorldMate is ok, but not what I would consider a robust mobile weather application.

Isn't there any app out there that displays weather info on the standby screen? I have been spoiled by a plethora of Today screen weather apps available for WM. Sure, I can make a Browser shortcut to a home page with weather on it, but that is extra steps. I see that Fizz Weather is "coming soon" to the S60 platform but I am surprised not too many options out there right now.

2. Personal Finance - Can't really find anything that will allow syncing with Quicken on the desktop. I know very few apps allow for direct sync (ie. Pocket Quicken), but I haven't even been able to find something for the N95 that will allow QIF import/export.

3. Diabetes Glucose Management - Yeah, I know this is very specialized. But the only thing I have been able to find is a J2ME version of SiDiary. I am very surprised there are no native s60 apps that allow for Daily Glucose and insulin entry to be sync'ed with the PC.

I have done most of my searching via Google and on Handango, SymbianGear, and even on the Nokia web site.

Of the three above, the weather and personal finance options are pretty darn common and surprised at the lack of quality options available. As for the Diabetes software, that's pretty important to me for managing my Diabetes.

Can anyone suggest anything for the above categories? I am a little disappointed in the amount of options provided for S60 for the above, especially when compared to WM, POS, and heck even RIM.
Ads

Old 12-06-2008, 11:16 PM

xerxes is on a distinguished road
Have a Google for M!Weather for S60v3. It's completely free (freeware and feeds of the Yahoo Weather web service) and nearly as pretty as Handy Weather.

Still no icon on the standby screen though.