All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 22-01-2008, 10:29 PM

scumbucketsex is on a distinguished road
Calls being recorded by third party

Hi all quick question, does anyone know of any good security software for my original N95 on 02? I know that one of my calls was recorded in the past, which was later played back onto a landline. I know it was not recorded by the person i was talking too but am unsure exactly how it was, via scanner etc. i never have bluetooth turned on as i have been advised before that that is a security risk. I know i could just go to the police, but i still feel that is a little extreme just after some protection via software really, to protect everything in my phone and things i send out. anything people can advise would be great, many thanks.

Old 23-01-2008, 05:19 AM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
do you want to record your phone calls? otherwise i dont know what you are really trying to say. someone recorded one of your phone calls in the past, then that was done with some equipment or recording device. there are many apps you can put on your n95 to record your phone calls. the only one that doesnt play a periodic beep is total recall.

Old 23-01-2008, 09:47 AM

3Shirts is on a distinguished road
Actually Ultimate Voice Recorder also doesn't beep

Old 23-01-2008, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

kontraband is on a distinguished road
nahhh, I think he wants something to STOP him/her from being recorded...

which isnt going to happen without someone knowing you are trying to alter your call...

the recording would happen on the other end, of which you have no control.

Old 23-01-2008, 10:57 AM

kontraband was right, i am trying to stop someone record my calls, and to hijack my texts. as i beleive this may of happened in the past. As im not quite sure how they are doing this i didnt know if there was any way to stop this happening. so there arnt any security progams to stop any of this happening? dam it. i dont ever hear a beep on my end tho when i make calls, neither is there a delay in connecting etc after the phone is answered. when i googled about this before it says that ur battery wil drain quicker if it is bugged, which i havent noticed happening. Anyone know anything else about this subject? either tapping calls/fone scanners etc? or any protection anyone knows off to protect my data. As i dont think the police would do much without much evidence and no idea who has been doing it.

Old 23-01-2008, 11:52 AM

waxup is on a distinguished road
The one way this can be done is if you were using a bluetooth headset. I have a program that can capture your phonecalls via bluetooth by forcing the pairing cycle between the phone and the headset and capturing the passcode.
This can only be done with a laptop and while in close proximity to the victim.

I wouldn't be worried about this if you are not using bluetooth headsets, especially if you have bluetooth disabled.

There are five other ways this can be done:

1: If the other party (the person you are on the phone with) is recorded the call with a call record program on their phone.
2: If the call is being routed through a third party monitor (most toll free numbers are set up this way).
3: They are on a landline and have a voice recorded attached on the line via rj11.
4: Your line is tapped (see option 2).
5: You are using VOIP and someone has hijacked your service, again similar to option 2.

Last edited by waxup; 23-01-2008 at 11:56 AM.

Old 23-01-2008, 11:56 AM
Banned

zippiracer is on a distinguished road
there are tons availbe on www.youpark.com but i believe they are not for stoping this kinda thing

Old 23-01-2008, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

kontraband is on a distinguished road
zippi if you dont believe they are for this kinda thing, why post the link AND have it linked in your sig. Calm it down a bit please.

Old 23-01-2008, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
Yes, second offence at this, I think I warned you before Zippiracer.

Interesting that you say texts. I dont know of any way of doing that except perhaps them installing something on your phone, that might forward texts silently to their number.

As for the calls, they can easily be recorded as people said, and theres no way of stopping that at their end.

However if your on about someone else listening to your calls, not the person your calling, then Im pretty sure this is very very high end stuff.

Old 23-01-2008, 12:41 PM

Yeah, the only way to divert texts is to have someone actually change the message center settings on your phone, and this would mean that the text probably wouldnt reach it's intended recipient, and thus you'd have them telling you this, and you probably wouldn't receive texts as well.

The phone's OS does not work like that of your pc in the sense that you can't have a trojan on there that is spaming or hijacking your services. Someone would have to manually change these settings on the phone or intercept your data as a man in the middle attack or some other means of third party interception.

Also, if you are concerned with your phone being "bugged" you could do a firmware reflash (NOTE: you will lose all your personal data so back it up).

Last edited by waxup; 23-01-2008 at 12:44 PM. Reason: spelling.

Old 23-01-2008, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

I was more on about a covert program that would simply forward texts to a number. However that seems unlikely, for a number of reasons.

First is that it would surely show up as a running task.

Second is that they would have to have access to the phone to install it.

Lastly, Im not aware of any programs that could do that, though that doesnt mean there arnt any.

Old 24-01-2008, 03:05 PM

thank you all for your replys. just to clarify a little more, neither me or the person i was talking to was using a bluetooth headset or had um turned on. they had a motorola razor fone if that means anything?they defo didnt use any program to record the conversation. i have recently upgraded all my firmware so was hoping that would make it harder for it to happen again, but i do suspect that it might of happened again. does anyone know much about phone scanners? do they still exist?

Old 24-01-2008, 03:10 PM

Honestly, this does seem a little ridiculous, sorry for being blunt.

I have to ask, why are you so paranoid? Are you that concerned about someone listening in on your cell phone calls (if you live in the USA, all calls are screened to some extent)? If you are, why? Are you involved with illegal activities that you wouldn't want anyone to find out about?

Most hackers or fraudulant people wouldn't target someone like this just for the fun of it without any personal gain because it's a hassle (to record cell phone calls because of proximity issues etc.).

If you are involved in illegal activities, which seems evident, then I can no longer be involved with this thread and do not condone such acts.

If you are not involved in any illegal acts and are just overly paranoid, than i apologize but I cannot provide any more information and thus, again, am not going to be involved in this thread! SORRY!

Old 24-01-2008, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator

What exactly happened before? Dont need to know intimate details etc, but things like was it someone you know record things? Was it calls, or calls and texts?

Did they actually have any proof of it, or just said they did?

Old 24-01-2008, 03:16 PM

3Shirts is on a distinguished road
I agree with waxup, you are either overly paranoid about a very unlikely threat or you are up to no good.