All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 09-05-2008, 12:00 PM

Peter321 is on a distinguished road
Looking forward to your review.

A few point I've found out:

1. You CAN view the route on the map and zoom whereever you like - just select "View Map" with an active route, click functions and select "Show entire route" (names might be slightly off as I'm using a Danish localized version).

2. I would say they are correct when they advertize "custom POI's" as you CAN add your own, but what it doesn't support (without some work) is POI import.

3. I actually like the 0..9 zooming method, as it's very fast to go from low to high zoom, compared to zooming through all levels, however I agree that it's inconsistent that they use a different method when in drive mode. Also the +/- buttons on the screen should not be there (or at least swapped to fit with the joystick behaviour).

As for zooming in when pressing the joystick down, I actually find it logical, as pressing down brings me "closer to the ground" - at least that's an easy way to remember it

However I find it a bit concerning that when googling "McGuider" 50-60% or more of the pages you get are for pirated versions - I hope it won't go the way of TomTom because of this.

Actually I'm currently using such a "demo" version, but I've just ordered the geniune one to support them.

Last edited by Peter321; 09-05-2008 at 12:05 PM.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
1. Yep, found that.

2. From a review point of view, it doesn't. As I said, its too much to expect someone to go and look at forums on how to do it, and then download a hard to find program for the conversion process.

They do not actually advertise custom POI (from what I have seen), just POI management. While it *can* have custom POI, it certainly does not support them.

However if they were to advertise that it can, Id disagree if they dont provide any sort of instructions.

You have to draw a line somewhere as with the right amount of hacking, you can add POI to any satnav program. Its what you think is reasonable, what people forget on forums like this is that not everyone is technical. I feel having to go through all the steps I did is bad enough, but without any sort of instruction makes it unreasonable to say it supports custom POIs.

Imagine if I said on my review that it supports custom POIs. Someone then buys it and thinks, 'How the hell do I do that then?'.

I will actually give instructions on how to do it, but until they do something, my view is that they do not support it.

3. Fair enough, its just in contrast to all the other satnavs I have used. Makes it feel clunky too. For a program with the framerate of Sygic, a +/- method would work much better.

I share your concern with the amount of pirate versions out there, I just looked for a way of putting in custom POI and found endless threads on getting dodgy copies to work.

Still, Im hoping thats all the old versions, which were as buggy as hell.

Last edited by bartmanekul; 09-05-2008 at 12:13 PM.

Old 10-05-2008, 02:58 AM

Unplugged is on a distinguished road
From what I have seen it actually does piss over TomTom 6 and theres enough their for me to place an order. My main concern though is updates. There is nothing technical on the site regarding updates, new versions etc.

I will be placing an order with expansys next week along with a slightly increased memory card and new battery.

2GB is nothing but you cant argue for 40. The software would appear to generate a product code based on a device number and then ask for an activation code ( ala Tom Tom ) but there is no product code ( its just the device code ). Its a little unstable in places and I have yet to test it properly before making an informed decision ( i.e will it run with music player in the background how does it handle incoming calls etc ) but it looks pretty straight forward.

Its relativly new in the GPS market so theres a lot of unknowns about the file system but it seems the interface, sounds can all be modified ( just need to work out a way of packing and unpacking the sound files like we had to with tom tom originally )

All in all I say this could well be the beast

Old 10-05-2008, 03:23 AM

Unplugged is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartmanekul View Post
Appears POI are not meant to be added, or at least not easily:

1 Convert the OV2 file into UPI file individually rather then selecting them all in one go.

2 After converting, put only the UPI files into the root of the map folder.

3 Read the instructions with the attachment for changing icons and sound. Put the bmp files (speed camera image) into SNGIC/ICONS and any sound files into SNGIC/SOUNDS.

That from a dodgy forum.

EDIT: tried that, and it doesnt show up in the list. Anyone able to work it out?

If you create a new poi category from within the application and view with notepad you will see the format is totally different. The support is there its just we cant correctly convert them yet.

Old 10-05-2008, 04:43 AM
Super Moderator

After using it a lot since I had it, I'll be going back to garmin. Theres lots thats nice about it, but its still like a beta in places.

For starters, the postcode entry is messed up. Went to eat out last night, I thought Id try it on the way there. When i tried to input the postcode, it didnt even recognise the first 2 letters, which is basically Wiltshire! How on earth can you have 7 digit postcodes but not have a whole postcode district?

Also, if you have an incorrect postcode, it doesnt tell you its wrong, it just dumps you back to the navigation screen.

This, plus quite a few other things i have noticed gives it the feel of being unfinished.

The postcode was SN16 9ET, but it seems it wont accept anything starting with SN.

Ive also found its missing some postcodes that should definatly be there, so Im wondering if my file is corrupt, or if they got the list from a wierd source. Or, possibly that theres a flaw in the app.

I know in a few areas its the best out of the lot, but if I dont trust it, I dont use it.

Last edited by bartmanekul; 10-05-2008 at 04:56 AM.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:46 AM

sbc is on a distinguished road
Personally I'm quite happy with the ways to get custom POIs. You can:
  1. type in the address
  2. locate on a map
  3. select from 'history'
  4. type in the exact coordinates of different formats like Google Earth, Garmin
  5. convert TT Pois using the Ov2Upi Translator 2.3. Run prog, browse to orig POI, done. Easier than Garmin
Don't worry about the pirating stuff on google. Until a few days ago, that was the only way to get McGuider, so of course that's what ppl talked about. Now the more serious talks about usage (like in this thread), comparisons and reviews can begin.

Considering the time of year with summer vacation coming up and the final death of S60 TomTom, I think they hit the market at just about the right time. If they fix bugs and provide updates at a reasonable rate, this could be a major player on the GPS market.
Ads

Old 10-05-2008, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator

Ah, your really on about Favourites there. Or My Locations, or whatever other satnavs call them.

When people talk about adding custom POI, generally they mean adding large lists from websites. Most commonly, speedcam alerts.

As for step 5 (which is as I see it, POI), I have done that, but I still feel that its far too troublesome unless Sygic include some instructions and perhaps host a UPI converter on their website.

For the likes of you and I whom haunt forums, its easy. But for Joe bloggs that just buys the software, its non existant.

Or even better, bundle it with the memory cards. I dont see any reason why not.

I share the sentiment that if they improve it it could easily become the best. But since they refuse to answer emails, I cant put any faith in the fact they will listen to what people want.

Old 10-05-2008, 09:29 AM

sbc is on a distinguished road
The list included goes for both POI's and Favorites. You even have a choice, which I find rather nice.

I don't understand why it should be more difficult to run the ovi2upi than the much more complicated POI Loader from Garmin?

I agree that it's Sygic's job to provide a convertor. We shouldn't have to rely on some third party software. And that has got to be the biggest fear for this prg, the lack of support. Ignoring our emails could be an ugly hint of what's to come. If they don't make it easy to use and keep it up to date, McGuider will be dead before it really takes off.

On another note, there's a proggie called Sygic Colors. Wouldn't it be fun if someone was clever enough to replicate the colorscheme of TT using this app?

http://www.cybersuricate.com/Default.aspx

Old 12-05-2008, 08:41 AM

sonym is on a distinguished road
Sygic Mail

Hi bartmanekul,

Actually, yes, I am from Sygic. Regarding your mails. Your mails have been lost in huge quantum of mails we receive every day.

Could you please resend these mails again, or put the questions here. I will try to answer.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

Ok, I have a few.

When I tried to input a postcode starting with SN, SN is not recognised. WHich is basically a whole county.

Could this be checked? Its very hard to think that your missing a whole countys worth of postcodes, so Im thinking it maybe a glitch. If not, is there anyway I can update the postcodes?

In relation to the postcode issue, when one is not found (or valid, presumably), it does not give any message, it simply jumps back to the navigation screen. A message like 'postcode no found' would be very welcome.

Having imported some custom POI, after a search of them you can only see a small part of the name. Perhaps a scrolling method?

Old 12-05-2008, 10:11 AM

matchstick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Ok, I have a few.

When I tried to input a postcode starting with SN, SN is not recognised. WHich is basically a whole county.

Could this be checked? Its very hard to think that your missing a whole countys worth of postcodes, so Im thinking it maybe a glitch. If not, is there anyway I can update the postcodes?
Can you let me know the exact post code you're looking for ?

I've just fired Sygic up and entered SN on the Zip Codes screen and it's found alot of SN postcodes starts SN101AB...

Old 12-05-2008, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

Hmmm, obviously something wrong with my version then.

Its SN16 9ET, but obviously theres a glitch since I cant get any SN postcodes, as soon as I put in SN the first thing it recommends is SM postcodes.

Question now is, can I repair it or do I have to send it back?

Also, what happens when you put a wrong one in, does it just return to the main screen?

Old 12-05-2008, 10:29 AM

sonym is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Ok, I have a few.

In relation to the postcode issue, when one is not found (or valid, presumably), it does not give any message, it simply jumps back to the navigation screen. A message like 'postcode no found' would be very welcome.

Having imported some custom POI, after a search of them you can only see a small part of the name. Perhaps a scrolling method?
POSTCODES : Yes, I have check this in my newer version, and SN16 9ET is there. But my version is the newest one. Do you search with NavigateTo->POSTCODES? YOu cant search postcodes in NavigateTo->Address.

Message 'postcode no found': yes, I agree with you, But this message need translation to other languages. I will try to push it through.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:33 AM

matchstick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Also, what happens when you put a wrong one in, does it just return to the main screen?
To make more room for other stuff I have moved the Maps I don't want off the card for the moment. I wonder if that's significant.

As for invalid Post Codes, like you if I enter and wrong code and press Done it dumps me straight back to the Map page.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonym View Post
POSTCODES : Yes, I have check this in my newer version, and SN16 9ET is there. But my version is the newest one. Do you search with NavigateTo->POSTCODES? YOu cant search postcodes in NavigateTo->Address.

Message 'postcode no found': yes, I agree with you, But this message need translation to other languages. I will try to push it through.
Definatly used poscode, tried a number of times, with a few SN postcodes, but it doesnt recognise SN at all.

I have tried other postcodes (my home for example), and theres no problem, finds it fine.

Matchstick, I cant see how that would have effected it. Might try it later, but Im not hopeful.

Sonym, could you tell me how to fix this, perhaps download the postcode file from you?