All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 13-07-2009, 08:52 AM

longtalker is on a distinguished road
N95 8GB's WLAN problem

Hi everyone,

I know a lot of people have had problems with the N95 8GB when connecting to the Internet through a WLAN (WiFi) connection, and so have I... Every time I connect to a WLAN, either within an application or just with the integrated browser, the phone will become unstable and eventually crash after a short period of time.

First I thought it was the network's fault and tried to modify various settings on the wireless router. Then I noticed that any connection to any wireless Internet hotspot (airport etc) causes the same problem: the phone is able to connect to the WLAN, and I can even browse for a few seconds/minutes, but before long, the Internet stops working, and soon after this happens, the operating system becomes unresponsive and I have to restart the phone.

I've also read about the workaround of turning Power Saving off from the advanced settings, and that it has solved the problem for a lot of people. Unfortunately, it has not solved it for me.

I have the latest firmware (31.2.008) installed.

If anyone could suggest a fix for this "classic" problem of the N95 8GB, I'd be more than grateful.

Old 20-07-2009, 11:05 AM

Can anyone help at all?... Thanks

Old 20-07-2009, 12:36 PM

jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Smile Device Memory Full ?

Two things come to mind :
1) See this thread about how to keep C: disk (device memory) clean . Maybe the Phone is running out of RAM (operating memory) :
http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...ht=Save+memory
2) when this doesn't work , try a reset (be aware to Backup your data)
http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...ad.php?t=81021

Regards jApi NL

Old 22-07-2009, 05:25 AM

prymus is on a distinguished road
Angry

Have you always had this problem? My N95 8GB NAM was working just fine on WLAN until I updated to v31. Now I have the exact same symptoms as you describe. It isn't a hardware issue, it is poor Quality Control on the part of the Nokia software developers. I spend my entire work day in a building without very good cell phone signal. I depend on the Wifi in my office to keep me connected all day. I no longer have that. My smartphone is now a dumb phone when I'm at work and need it most. Nokia has basically broken my phone with this update. Yeah I know I didn't HAVE to update, but in the US, we are firmware starved. I read daily about new updates and new features added in new firmwares and how everyone all over the world is enjoying them, so when we FINALLY got v31 I jumped on it. I've searched all over the net and found many posts just like yours describing the same problem, but no acknowledgement of the problem or any help whatsoever from Nokia.

Old 22-07-2009, 09:30 PM

Angry

I can connect to a WLAN network and use the WLAN connection for a few minutes. Within 5 minutes of initiating the connection, the connection stops working. The WLAN icon still appears in the upper right corner of the Standby screen, the WLAN section below the Calendar entries in the middle of the Standby screen says I am conneted to the Wireless Access Point and Connection Manager shows the WLAN access point as still being connected. Even if I completely power off the Wireless Access Point and leave it off, the WLAN icon never leaves the Standby screen and Connection Manager says I am conencted, even though I am obviously not. This state of the handset thinking it is connected, but not actually being connected causes the battery to drain rapidly, not to mention no access to the network. Any attempt to disconnect the connection via the Connection Manager will cause the phone to become unstable and lock up. Only a battery pull will restore access to the handset. I have access to and have tested this on various models of access point including Linksys WAP4400N, Cisco Aironet 1131AG, Cisco Aironet AP-1220B Netgear WGR614v6 and Qwest GT701-WG and the results are the same. I have tried various channels and both 802.11B and 802.11G and the result is the same. I have tested various security settings including no security, WEP, WPA1 and WPA2 and the result is the same. I have tried resetting the phone to factory defaults via Settings in the menu. I have tried resetting with *#7370# and not restoring from a backup. I reconfigured the phone from scratch. I have tried resetting via powering on the phone while holding * + TALK + 3, again reconfiguring from scratch. I tried reinstalling the firmware via Nokia PC Suite, again reconfiguring from scratch. Nothing has fixed this issue. The only thing left to try is to reinstall the firmware one more time and check the WLAN connection after every setting change and after every app install to try to find out what is causing this. I'll have to test while walking in and out of range, powering off the Wireless Access Point, making sure I can manually disconnect from the Standby screen WLAN Scanning area and making sure I can manually disconnect from Connection Manager. I have checked http://discussions.nokiausa.com and various other Nokia internet forums and found that many other users with the N95-4 are having the same exact symptoms immediately after upgrading their firmware to v31. Even if it is some compatibility issue with an app that I have installed, it should not be able to lock up the phone and drain the battery. My phone isn't hacked, I don't have anything out of the ordinary installed, all apps that I installed were available in the Ovi Store (presumably safe) and I didn't install anything that wasn't previously working just fine on v20. This is obviously a problem with the firmware.

Old 22-07-2009, 09:45 PM

Thanks for sharing this. I too tried most of the things you tried, to no avail. It is absolutely clear that the problem lies with the firmware. Let's hope Nokia sees these threads and decides to release a firmware that allows users to actually be able to use one of their phones' most important feature.

Last edited by longtalker; 23-07-2009 at 06:27 AM.

Old 22-07-2009, 11:35 PM

Retty is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtalker View Post
Thanks for sharing this. I tried most of the things you tried, to no avail. It is absolutely clear that the problem lies with the firmware. Let's hope Nokia sees these threads and decide to release a firmware that allows users to actually use one of their phones' most important features.
I am using firmware version 31 - v31.0.015 - and my WLAN connections are rock solid for 2 hours or more at a time until I stop using the phone voluntarily.

The connection efficiency is very impressive - the phone can connect to all sorts of open and secure WLANs with basic user input (username/password/key) and it stays connected until I tell it to stop: surfing, downloading files, temporaily exiting the browser to open (pdf) files, playing video files, using java apps, sending texts, receiving MMS, taking photos, using bluetooth, receiving calls - nothing trips it up.

I do have an "untrusted software on mass memory" problem when switching the phone on which is annoying me big time (nothing I do can get rid of it) but other than that the firmware is good.

Is it possible that the sub version/version code of the firmware you are using is to blame?

Could you try somehow using a different firmware version? Mine is v31.0.015 (Vodafone UK). If you use it I would suggest that you remove all untrusted apps from the mass memory first.

I can post details of the apps and folders on my phone if this might help.

Old 23-07-2009, 04:02 AM

Angry

I emailed pretty much everything I said above to Nokia Customer Care. My phone is still under warranty so they can't just blow me off and tell me to buy a new phone like they have other people with this problem. One way or the other, this is getting fixed. I paid way too much money for this unlocked phone to wait around for them to put out another firmware update in their own sweet time (which is a long time in the USA!). I gave them the option of fixing it immediately, flashing my phone back to v20 or giving me a new handset with v20 still on it. I'll post here when I get a response/resolution from them.

And about the v31.0.015 working great, my v20 worked almost perfectly as well. The only real gripe I had with it was that if I was connected to a wifi access point and was using a Bluetooth headset at the same time, as soon as I would walk out of range of the wireless access point, the Bluetooth connection would also disconnect and then reconnect 1 to 30 seconds later. I'd be walking away from my house listening to something over a Bluetooth headset and suddenly the Bluetooth would drop and the sound would be blaring out of the phone's speakers. I learned to live with this stupid quirk by just manually disconnecting the wifi via Connection Manager every time I would leave the house or office. This new wifi not working at all and locking up the entire handset business I can't live with. I spend too much time in an office that is actually below ground level. My phone signal is almost nothing. I need wifi to work.

Last edited by prymus; 23-07-2009 at 04:08 AM.

Old 30-07-2009, 04:44 AM

Angry

Nokia replied to my email and just said send it in for repair, so that's what I did. We'll see what they do.
Ads

Old 30-07-2009, 05:44 AM

It's annoying how they simply refuse to understand that it's clearly the 31.2.008 firmware that is at fault, and they just shoot the generic "send it in for repair" at complaining n95-4 users. Please let us know how your phone's "repair" worked out when it comes back from Nokia.

Last edited by longtalker; 30-07-2009 at 07:35 AM.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:27 AM

It's so frustrating to see that even though Nokia is perfectly aware that N95 8GB NAM owners who are updated to the latest 31.2.008 version are practically unable to use their phones' WLAN connectivity, they're still letting weeks go past before they release the new version that will hopefully fix the problem! I wonder how much longer they will take before doing that: 31.2.008 was released in April of this year, so judging by the time lapse between other consecutive firmware versions, it shouldn't be too long, although I wouldn't hold my breath...

Later edit: @prymus - I read your post where you said Nokia preferred to send you a new phone with older firmware on it rather than getting to work on a new firmware version that fixes the problem. This might just indicate that they don't plan to release any new version anytime soon. :( This is unbelievably amateurish on the part of Nokia, and I'm sorry to say it but for my next phone I am definitely switching over to a different brand.

Last edited by longtalker; 09-08-2009 at 08:44 AM.

Old 17-08-2009, 06:14 PM

skyshock21 is on a distinguished road
I have this exact same problem with my Nokia N95 8GB as well. I'm running 31.2.008 and the connection manager is ALL KINDS of FUBAR'd. It does just as you say - it loses connection after about 5 minutes, then becomes highly unstable, locks up, etc... Usually a restart will bring the phone to a usable state, but then it'll happen again next time you use the browser. It's most DEFINITELY a firmware issue as this happened right after a hard-reset.

Is there a bug queue where I can file a bug against this issue with the Symbian developer team?

Old 17-08-2009, 07:49 PM

FWIW, this blog post seems to have fixed my issue (will know for sure in a few days).

http://www.deciphered.net/blog/2007/...outs_nokia_n95

I'm curious to know what effect it'll have on the battery. I'll try and report back in a few days of use.

Old 18-08-2009, 06:22 AM

Hi skyshock21, I have tried that workaround, and for me, setting the Power Saving to 'Disabled' did not fix the wifi problem. Most likely it is only a new firmware version that will fix it, however Nokia not only cannot be bothered being aware of bugs reported by customers, but when they finally release a new version (v32.2.001, a few weeks ago), this leaves the wifi bug as it is. I've written them an email to follow up on the one in which I first reported this bug to them, and told them not to feel bad about this: I'm sure thousands of N95 8GB owners will patiently wait a few more months for yet another firmware release, without being able to use their wifi. What's a few more hundred dollars spent on 3G data transfers when you could have used your local WLAN for free?

Old 20-08-2009, 03:30 PM

They're aware of it. Turning wifi power setting to disabled is the accepted fix. If this doens't solve your problem, perhaps you have something else going on there as well. I would try doing a reset of everything. Don't back anything up, just load everything clean and give it another go.

FWIW, I don't notice any difference in battery drain by toggling this power setting in my days of normal usage.