All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 10-06-2010, 09:33 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Top Ten Games to show off your Symbian-powered touchscreen smartphone

It used to be just receiving a call, or picking up an email via a push SMS (good old email-to-text gateways back in the nineties). Now, to impress people with your phone in the pub, you need something a little bit better - and it tends to be a game. So what should your Symbian-powered touchscreen smartphone be ready to show off when called into action? Ewan and I run through the Top Ten contenders...

Read on in the full article.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:50 AM

Ratkat is on a distinguished road
Seem like just yesterday I was listening to an @aas podcast discussing how ngage would take over the portable gaming world, but Nokia let that one slip.
Space Impact though is a superb game, and the only game I've bothered to install on my N97 Mini

Cost Effective Web Design Nximedia

Old 10-06-2010, 10:14 AM
Unregistered

How do these games compare with good iPhone games, generally? Are they of similar quality, sophistication of 3D graphics and audio etc?

Also is there a way to force Space Impact to run on a 5800?

Old 10-06-2010, 10:29 AM

Ratkat is on a distinguished road
Space Impact uses the compass so won't work on a 5800.

To be honest the games on the iPhone etc, are generally more sophisticated, with better graphics etc etc etc

But in the case of Space Impact it doesn't matter, it's playability shines over the graphics and its just fun and addictive (as long as have a swivel chair that is)

Cost Effective Web Design Nximedia

Old 10-06-2010, 12:16 PM

Tenkom is on a distinguished road
has anyone tried quake1 or 2 on an n97? the non accelerated versions should run and the keyboards should make them playable. Very entertaining on my n95 at least(which could also run 3d accelerated quake 3 which is certain to drop some jaws)..

Old 10-06-2010, 12:16 PM
Pzkfw5

sad state of nokia gaming

While I'll admit that I have not played the majority of these games besides Skyforce 2, it is a fairly pathetic line up of in terms of gaming, especially when compared to virtually any other mobile phone platform, including s60 non-touch.

I honestly couldn't see how Nokia could once again shoot themselves in the foot with Mobile gaming. They had 3d dedicated graphic chips in phones since the N93 and N93i and choose to drop it after the N95.

They had a stellar game library with the original N-Gage and choose not to port any game beyond Worms and Mile High Pinball. (Nobody play the games then at most those 2 million N-Gage owners so no one could really appreciate how good those Pathway to Glory games were).

They had a dedicated gaming application, multiplayer gaming system and community and now discounted everything and left nothing.

I've been a dedicated Nokia/Symbian follower with my N-Gage QD (best phone ever), Nokia N90, Nokia 6110 Navigator and 6220 Classic. However, Nokia's Symbian platform is showing its age dreadfully and it's transition to a touch UI, let alone gaming has much to be desired.

I sincerely hope Nokia can prove me wrong, but I can't help feel disillusioned and tempted for the greener (gaming) pastors of a jailbroken iphone.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:29 PM

clonmult is on a distinguished road
In general, Symbian^1 without a keyboard just can't do action games. Or decent racing games. Single touch input means that you can't jump and fire without some horrendous input controls. Or steer and break. Multi touch is required. As a result it can really only do good puzzlers.

Gears is okay, but gets soooo boring after no time.
Raging thunder looks absolutely terrible on screen - horrible fuzzy graphics.
SkyForce reloaded was always an excellent game on the N95, it still looks good, but still isn't quite as good as its predecessors
Creebies looks good, the kids seem to like it.

Bejewelled Twist - fun
BlockGO - awesome fun
Crazy Penguin - sadistic, but fun

Climate mission was interesting, but relatively limited.
Ads

Old 10-06-2010, 12:59 PM
Unregistered

let's hope on Symbian Foudation.. hope they can make Gamer Community for all Symbian Smartphone.

Old 10-06-2010, 04:06 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by clonmult View Post
In general, Symbian^1 without a keyboard just can't do action games. Or decent racing games. Single touch input means that you can't jump and fire without some horrendous input controls. Or steer and break. Multi touch is required. As a result it can really only do good puzzlers.

Gears is okay, but gets soooo boring after no time.
Raging thunder looks absolutely terrible on screen - horrible fuzzy graphics.
SkyForce reloaded was always an excellent game on the N95, it still looks good, but still isn't quite as good as its predecessors
Creebies looks good, the kids seem to like it.

Bejewelled Twist - fun
BlockGO - awesome fun
Crazy Penguin - sadistic, but fun

Climate mission was interesting, but relatively limited.
Raging Thunder is fine by any standards. It runs quick on non 3D hardware accelerated phones. Polarbit's formula was effective with these kinds of handsets. For me, Java is no go.

Old 10-06-2010, 04:49 PM
Unregistered

What about the Nokia published game Exclusion? It runs smooth on my modest 5230, and is very addictive... plus, it's free on the Ovi Store. My wife is a puzzle game fan, and she loves it. Admittedly, it's not 3d-whiz-bang-racing-shooting-fragfest, but it's better than a great deal of games I've had on my other phones (Blackberry and PalmOS-based).

Old 10-06-2010, 10:06 PM

clonmult is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Raging Thunder is fine by any standards. It runs quick on non 3D hardware accelerated phones. Polarbit's formula was effective with these kinds of handsets. For me, Java is no go.
It runs fine ... but its game play isn't really that good.

I do agree though that Java isn't really up to much - at least on Symbian.

Old 11-06-2010, 04:31 AM
Unregistered

Hi Everyone !!

To tell you the Truth I have lost hope in Nokia, because I had very bad experiences in the past with them, because of their False promises, remember Ngage !!

I spent my hard-earned money to bring an Ngage 2.0 Capable handset and then they doomed it.
What the Heck !!!

I almost turned crazy on the day I learned they are stoping the ngage service, but for some reason I feel that N8 may have a future in gaming because of its hardware capabilities !!

I dont expect anything from Nokia but atleast 3rd Party developers might support it, like the IPhone, Hope So !!

Steve if possible I request you to do a brief presentation on the N8's Gaming Capabilities, I know its an early stage as you dont even have it in your hand now, but if possible with your vast knowledge, if you could do something in writing it would be intresting to read.

By the way have you noticed one thing, that when any decent article is written about gaming on ASS there is a vast no of comments, this proves how very much everyone is intrested in gaming, and this is one big entertainment section !!! and Nokia, kicked it in Ngage 2.0, a true shame!!!

Old 11-06-2010, 06:42 AM

miskol is on a distinguished road
Gears

Gears is best logic game on ovi store
Don’t give up until you complete all levels.
http://store.ovi.com/content/30651

lite version
http://store.ovi.com/content/56537

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZQHWG0Uc10

Last edited by miskol; 22-09-2010 at 07:33 PM.

Old 11-06-2010, 10:16 AM

Neero is on a distinguished road
thanks for the list, unfortunately most if not all games linked to OVI store in this list said "not available for your country" ... sigh

I fact when I see the apps/games on OVI, all are free. Not one commercial app.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:12 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pzkfw5 View Post
greener (gaming) pastors
In the service of the space pope perhaps?