All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

Old 29-07-2010, 07:14 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
One click Qt 4.7 for the Samsung i8910 HD, plus HX8 on the way

More significant news from the Samsung i8910 HD firmware scene, which is accelerating, amazingly, rather than slowing down. 'faenil' has organised a one-click installer for the Qt 4.7.0 beta2 libraries for non-Nokia smartphones such as the i8910 HD, in theory letting them install some of the new Qt apps (e.g. the superlative Orange Wednesdays). A quote and video from faenil below. In related news, HyperX is now finalising HX8 firmwares, including even more customisations and a fix for Samsung's longstanding Music player bugs (a video for which is also embedded below). It's all go... What do you mean, you don't own an i8910 HD?

Read on in the full article.

Old 29-07-2010, 07:33 AM

Hardeep1singh is on a distinguished road
How come we don't have such communities for Nokia's Symbian phones?

Would be great if someone could come out with a Symbian^3 port for 5800 or an FP2 upgrade for old war horses the N95 and N82.

Old 29-07-2010, 07:40 AM
Unregistered

there is modded firmware roms for nokia devices but aas never seem to cover nokia hacks
maybe they scared of falling out with nokia

Old 29-07-2010, 08:16 AM

Biggles is on a distinguished road
Good news for i8910 owners.

Never thought that one day I'd use availability of ROM flashers as a purchasing criteria...

Old 29-07-2010, 08:20 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
"aas never seem to cover nokia hacks"

Actually, we're only covering the *Samsung* modding because Samsung themselves have forgotten the i8910 HD. Nokia, generally, are *miles* better at updating firmware officially - see the 5800 and N95 and E71 for outstanding update examples.

Old 29-07-2010, 08:36 AM
Unregistered

But there are mods for nokia phones ? Where please ?

Old 29-07-2010, 08:37 AM

richardyates is on a distinguished road
Please think again - its not as if you are promoting them, just enabling us to get more from our symbian phones. The publicity you have given Hyper-X is the main reason I still have my i8910. I wish there were something for Satio too - there probably is but keeping up with it all...................

Old 29-07-2010, 08:41 AM

UKJeeper is on a distinguished road
S'funny how this time last year, and up until recently the i8910 was just considered as "meh, that OTHER Symbian 5th edition phone". In fact at the pub meet in London last year certain disparaging remarks were made by AAS celebrities regarding this device and custom firmware.

However, now thanks to the amazing work by ALL the 'chefs', this phone has risen to a much higher status.

This is, and always has been, the best iteration of a Symbian 5th edition device (camera sensor and physical keyboard aside), imo.

Its a damn shame that Samsung (a member of the Symbian foundation) chose to just dump this phone, leaving its continued survival, and now revived interest, to external parties.

Symbian (the company) really should take a look at what these unknown heroes have done and seriously consider hiring them.

Old 29-07-2010, 08:53 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Official Qt support is also on the way too as Samsung have given permission for the Qt people to sign with extended capabilities. See - http://labs.trolltech.com/blogs/2010...-soon-samsung/

As usual using the HX firmware is at entirely your own risk.

UKJeeper - I've been very impressed with the way the community has kept things going. I'm happy to admit it has been against my expectations too. It is certainly a model that could be applied elsewhere. However it is a minority activity.

Old 29-07-2010, 08:53 AM

UKJeeper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by slitchfield View Post
Nokia, generally, are *miles* better at updating firmware officially - see the 5800 and N95 and E71 for outstanding update examples.
Updating firmware, yes. Squeezing every last drop of performance out of them as the i8910 chefs seem to be striving to do? Not so much.

[can of worms] Though admittedly the 5th edition Nokias just don't have the hardware spec of the i8910 [/can of worms]

Its nothing new. XDADevelopers, etc have been doing the same things for years with WinMo and now Android. Companies like Nokia, HTC have to err on the side of caution. No 'reference roms' there.

Its nice to have the ability to choose firmware roms that are much improved (due to being less constrained by corporate concerns). Thank you to all the chefs who make our devices so much better.

Old 29-07-2010, 08:09 PM

FaizDaDon is on a distinguished road
Can someone please explain to me the differences between Faenil and Hyper-X's method for QT solutions?

Old 29-07-2010, 11:11 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
But there are mods for nokia phones ? Where please ?
http://forum.dailymobile.se/index.php/board,84.0.html