All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 02-09-2010, 01:30 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Charging hassle a real barrier to 'normobs'

Having been a smartphone owner for longer than most, I suspect, as an All About Symbian reader, you'll be very used to the daily routines of charging and power management. Even with some of Nokia's S60 devices (think 6650, E71, E52, E55, E72) running happily for several days at a time on a charge, the reality is that (especially when talking about large screened touch-driven devices) most of us need to charge every night. Or suffer the consequences. Acceptable for us, this requirement is something of a deal breaker for many 'normobs', those for whom mobile technology is merely a tool an end and not something they're prepared to nurse maid through the week....

Read on in the full article.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:16 PM

dragonsmith is on a distinguished road
May I add something?

Actually charging hassle is a big problem to power users as well.

My E72's 1500mAh battery doesn't even last for 12 hours on a working day.
I'm on the phone for around 5 hours during those 12 hours. During the rest, Nokia Messaging is set to poll my email every 15 minutes, Mobbler runs for a maximum of half an hour on a WiFi connection, and the browser gets fired 3 or 4 times.

I haven't made the move to a touch-screen phone yet mainly because of this. I hope the E7-00 or whatever is the next E-Series touch-screen phone running Symbian^3 has a decent battery or I'll never make the move.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:18 PM

Davescot is on a distinguished road
Seems in terms of battery technology we're still stuck in the dark ages. Why are we still using Lithium ion when this battery type just cant handle todays power hungry devices, you'd think a new battery technology would have been invented by now. Sticking in a 2000maH would help but maybe make the phone to chunky for most peoples liking. My X6 will barely make it through an average days use, often needing a lunchtime charge. My N79 is a great little phone though with decent battery life. The N8 worries me though, I think Nokia have made a huge mistake using a 1200 battery, unless im proved wrong I expect the N8 will have very poor battery life.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:51 PM

ajck is on a distinguished road
Here's a thought:

Nokia's have a light sensor, and a front-facing camera. One or the other can be used to detect when lights are out at bed time for example. How about an app to check the time of day, compare it with light levels, and battery levels, and make an intelligent guess that the user has gone to bed and forgotten to plug in their charger and needs to do so and then alert the user immediately - it shouldn't be rocket science should it?

I'm an app developer but don't have the time for this currently otherwise I'd make it myself

@Davescot: >"The N8 worries me though, I think Nokia have made a huge mistake using a 1200 battery, unless im proved wrong I expect the N8 will have very poor battery life."

This is complete over exaggeration. Does anyone really think Nokia will make a "huge" mistake with the N8 and that it will have "very poor" battery life, given all the care and attention lavished on the N8 by Nokia, their awareness of the risks of a non-removable battery, and the risks to Nokia's slightly battered reputation if they screw up significantly on the N8? No. The N8 battery life will be fine for most people most of the time, you can be sure of that. Comparison with what 1200mAh is capable of in other devices is invalid as we're talking completely different hardware and OS here, that have been refined to the nth degree. I think people need to chill a bit on the N8 battery front.

Last edited by ajck; 02-09-2010 at 02:55 PM.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:59 PM

neilhoskins is on a distinguished road
It's a girl thing, Steve. They're just as bad at keeping their payg credit topped up or keeping track of when the car's MOT is due. There's nothing that any of us can do to stop them being like that.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:18 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
ROFL. You could say that, but I couldn't possibly comment. I'd be lynched! 8-)

Old 02-09-2010, 03:22 PM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
ajck, for what you want, there is already a app available - Nokia Bot from Nokia Betalabs. True its in experimental stage, and currently can only work on S60v5 phones that have the active homescreen (n97, C6, etc.), but it has started.

Steve, I agree with this charging hassle. 5 years I bought my 1st smartphone and till this point I was a user of "phones" and / or Nokia S40 phones. These phones when charged lasted atleast 4-5 days. My "1st" smartphone barely lasted 2 days. My initial shock was such that I went back to the vendor complaining that he has sold me a defective phone / battery. He had a hard time convincing me that battery span pf smartphones is shorter and I actually had to research on the web to convince myself.

I wish the battery technology evolves so that we can have a good battery life for our devices.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:37 PM
dsb18

This is what keeps me coming back to Nokia E72/N97 mini, I have a HTC Legend and its a brilliant phone but Im scared to leave WIFI, GPS, Bluetooth on incase it drains the battery so i'm toggling GPS off and on, WIFI off and on etc. With Nokia it only turns on these thing when you need to use them so when I get in the car I dont have to think have I turn bluetooth on and when I go to maps I dont have to come out of the app to turn GPS on. Little things but Nokia just do them so well.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:55 PM
Unregistered

Well, my N900 gets considerably better battery life than my friend's iPhone 3GS, despite doing more, so chalk another up for Nokia.

Old 02-09-2010, 04:56 PM
Unregistered

GPUs and battery life

"The N8 worries me though, I think Nokia have made a huge mistake using a 1200 battery, unless im proved wrong I expect the N8 will have very poor battery life."

Actually, the N8 might very well end up having better battery life than the 5800 or similar, because it has a GPU and Symbian^3 uses the GPU for more operations instead of the CPU.

The thing is, general purpose CPUs tend to use a lot of power for even simple operations, GPUs are a lot more efficient.

So even though the N8 is much faster, it might actually also have better battery life.

But time will tell, of course.

Old 02-09-2010, 05:46 PM
Unregistered

batteries

The is the Most Important Part of Mobiles the Batterylife,we used to have batteries that could last about 2-3 days,but the Current Mobile phones only seem to last a day,Why no Law as been brought in on to the Mobile Produces about the Batterylife Annoys me,as the cost of mobiles as gone Way over the Top an then Running the mobile Cost More nowdays,thats why i always buy a spare battery an portable mobile charger just incase my battery on my mobile runs out,with the Current N8 on its way an we can not change the battery ourself,but if the battery only last a day,i will still be buying a spare battery,Please Bring a Law in making sure that batteries on mobiles last a least 2 days an help the public out

Old 02-09-2010, 07:01 PM

carman58 is on a distinguished road
Penny pinching !

I entirely agree with the whole article, and also always carry a spare battery with me and a Power Monkey mobile charger, just in case, for my N97. However for 18 I purchased a 1900mAh battery for the phone (non-Nokia) which is exactly the same physical size as the standard battery and with moderate to heavy use will last a couple of days. With the cost of modern smart phones I really can't understand how all the manufacturers can justify putting 'cheaper' batteries in there handsets, the difference in cost compare to a cost of 400-500 seems ridiculous !!!!!!!!!!!! Then again, as Nokia scrimped on nearly ALL the hardware on my phone, it should hardly be a surprise :(

Old 02-09-2010, 08:58 PM

brendand is on a distinguished road
What @Unregistered said about the N8's GPU being a boon for power-efficiency is very true. The simple fact is that GPUs are designed specially to deal efficiently with ever so common operations involved in drawing to the screen. They do in one clock cycle what a CPU would do in many. Also, no-one cares to explain why the N8 would use more power than any previous Symbian device in the first place.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:21 PM
Unregistered

> Swapping out spare batteries isn't a typical mainstream solution

It used to be in the good old days when batteries also constituted a part of the phone outer shell, easily removed via a simple button or a latch. Nowadays, one has to take out a cover, pry or shake the battery loose, insert the spare, and replace the cover.

It seems that smartphones increasingly exhibit the same fundamental defect as laptops -- mobile devices that users are always rushing to tether to a source of the vital and so rapidly dissipated electric current. But even when relying upon a spare battery, I expect a phone, especially an expensive smartphone, to last three days of normal usage on a single charge.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:27 PM

Tenkom is on a distinguished road
They should offer official extended batteries like mugen batteries. I would easily sacrifice looks and size for extra power.

HTC did this with the diamond. Granted it only went from completely useless to barely acceptable.
I want a battery that takes my n900 from "barely acceptable" to "1 day guaranteed".

Charging every night is a complete non-issue for me.
Ads