All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 11-02-2010, 08:55 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Phones Show Chat 25 and 24

Forgive the plug, but I haven't mentioned Phones Show Chat for a few weeks - audio podcasts 24 and 25 are now online for your listening pleasure - around an hour each of myself and Tim Salmon of this parish wittering about Symbian, Maemo and Android smartphones, answering Q&A, and so on. Here's the RSS feed for you to plug into Podcasting, to subscribe, if you haven't done so already 8-)

Read on in the full article.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:42 AM

PaulVise is on a distinguished road
Ads and intro music

Steve, maybe it is time to take ads to the game. They are kinda annoying but people can take them... So you can survive.

Aaand is there gonna be a fix sometime to the intro music, which sounds too low quality on the show and the chat podcasts... That's more annoying than ads

But to the ending music I give thumbs up o/

Old 11-02-2010, 11:08 AM
Administrator

The intro music original is very high quality, but don't forget the MP4 and MP3s you listen to have had to be dramatically downsampled to save your (and Rafe's) bandwidth. Compromises etc.

Or was it the actual MUSIC you didn't like? Remember this was mark II, people didn't like my original! 8-)

Old 11-02-2010, 01:16 PM

Music is great, but the sound quality is awful. It sounds like it's in a 9kbps quality... It may be that the bass in that clip makes it sound afwul...
Same thing on all sources: Youtube, your site embedded, mobile etc...

Last edited by PaulVise; 11-02-2010 at 01:20 PM.

Old 11-02-2010, 03:04 PM

UKJeeper is on a distinguished road
Another vote for awful sounding intro music here. And thats on i8190, HD2, TP2, E71 and 2, etc. Whether its headphones, internal speaker(s) or external speakers via the 3.5mm jack. Its truly horrible. I invariably turn the volume down by instinct to almost 1 until the music fades.

And yes, it's the same on The phones show video.

Last edited by UKJeeper; 11-02-2010 at 03:12 PM.

Old 11-02-2010, 04:02 PM

"I invariably turn the volume down by instinct to almost 1 until the music fades."

Hah, same here.

You should Steve really look into this. I bet there are many more people who just haven't had enough energy* to mention this quality issue, like myself haven't remembered to say this. But better late than never...

*Which brings me to another topic. It is kinda difficult and frustrate to find something specific from the sites( allaboutsymbian.com and phoneshow site) and give feedback easily, because the sites are really outdated and should be get to web2.0....

Last edited by PaulVise; 11-02-2010 at 04:04 PM.

Old 11-02-2010, 04:08 PM
Administrator

Thanks all, seems that it's time to do something about the intro music volume....

Web 2.0 though? You mean you want to see a forum on the Phones Show web site? Or a window with my tweets in? Or something like that?

Old 12-02-2010, 09:57 AM
Brendan Donegan

As a former E61i user, I feel compelled to correct an error and answer a question raised in the brief time you talked about it. First of all, it does have a podcasting client (it's a 3rd Edition FP1 device - you can download the client from Nokia's website). Second, to answer your question about Ovi store - it does have it but if I recall correctly it's a mobile site rather than a WRT application. It still works in much the same way though.
Ads