All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 29-06-2006, 09:31 AM

sunlie is on a distinguished road
Import server certificate to E61

The ActiveSync works just fine in E61, only one problem it keeps asking to accept my server certificate. I use SBS 2003 server that create its own certificate. Anyone know how to import a server certificate to E61 ?

Old 29-06-2006, 02:12 PM

phazlehurst is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlie
The ActiveSync works just fine in E61, only one problem it keeps asking to accept my server certificate. I use SBS 2003 server that create its own certificate. Anyone know how to import a server certificate to E61 ?
Hi, what you have to do is the following:

1) Get a .CER (the certificate) file from your administrator and save it to your hard drive somewhere
2) Using PCSuite, copy that .CER file to your phone in any folder really. Documents will work
3) Using FileManager on your phone, navigate to the file, and you should be able to "open" it, and then it will say do you want to import it.

Tx

P

Old 30-06-2006, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phazlehurst
Hi, what you have to do is the following:

1) Get a .CER (the certificate) file from your administrator and save it to your hard drive somewhere
2) Using PCSuite, copy that .CER file to your phone in any folder really. Documents will work
3) Using FileManager on your phone, navigate to the file, and you should be able to "open" it, and then it will say do you want to import it.

Tx

P
Thanks, try that, when I open it, nothing happen, no question ask wheter I would like to import it or not. Any other suggestion anyone ?

Old 30-06-2006, 09:35 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Check the format;

Try sending a X.509v3 format cert file to the phone over Bluetooth and then open the received message, or download it from a web or WAP page (assuming the server has been configured to send the correct MIME type, application/x-x509-ca-cert).

Old 01-07-2006, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe
Check the format;

Try sending a X.509v3 format cert file to the phone over Bluetooth and then open the received message, or download it from a web or WAP page (assuming the server has been configured to send the correct MIME type, application/x-x509-ca-cert).
Try to send it with Bluetooth, nothing happen when I open it, just a blink on the screen. Try to put the certificate in a webpage and set the correct MIME, but the phone open it as a text file. Still no luck here...

Old 08-07-2006, 10:48 AM

shidongting is on a distinguished road
Try DER format

I had the same problem. Make sure the certificate is in the DER format, not base64. The Exchange server can export the format for you by going to http://exchangeserveraddress/certsrv/. Copy the cert to your phone with bluetooth or whatever and then open it. It will ask you if you want to install it. After, you won't be prompted.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-07-2006, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shidongting
I had the same problem. Make sure the certificate is in the DER format, not base64. The Exchange server can export the format for you by going to http://exchangeserveraddress/certsrv/. Copy the cert to your phone with bluetooth or whatever and then open it. It will ask you if you want to install it. After, you won't be prompted.

Hope this helps.
Thanks, but since I use SBS 2003 I dont have the certsrv installed. Still no luck. Wouldn't it be nice if some one came up with an application to import certificate...

Old 10-07-2006, 09:52 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
I understand that you cna use openssl to convert certificates. I don't the details, but perhaps you could to a Google for this?

Old 29-07-2006, 02:57 AM

Finally

Finally... I can make the E61 to install my certificate, thanks Rafe for the OpenSSL tips. It turns out that the E61 can't accept the server exported certificate "as is", you have to convert the .cer certificate exported by SBS 2003 to .pem then converted it again to .der using OpenSSL, put the newly converted .der certificate in your web server root and access it with E61 default browser. Now my E61 happily activesync every 1 hour.

Old 09-08-2006, 07:59 PM

bluemonkey is on a distinguished road
Hey There,
I am running into alot of problems getting a certif on my E61, could some one please help me set it up using openssl. i have no idea where to start

Old 10-08-2006, 12:37 AM

vdhd is on a distinguished road
Bluemonkey, you aren't the only one. We ordered 5 of these phones with plans to scale to over 100 for our enterprise, and what a disaster. I have had more trouble getting the stupid cert to work on this device, it's a nightmare.

I've tried everything - I'm hoping someone would be kind enough to grab our cert from me and help me make it work. Please.... ?
Ads

Old 10-08-2006, 07:19 AM

Bluemonkey, vdhd, I'll try to help you guys if I could, kindly provide me with the URL of your secure website see if I can convert the certificate.

Old 10-08-2006, 05:58 PM

vdhd is on a distinguished road
I will take you up on that - thankyou!

Old 16-08-2006, 07:29 PM

matt_storr is on a distinguished road
So can any1 shed any light on how to import server root certs then? We have a self-signed root cert on our Windows 2003 server where Exchange is installed. I access the site, double click the secure lock icon and copy the cert to my desktop as a DER formatted cert. I then proceed to copy the .cer cert over to my E61 but it wont open it saying unknown format. I copy the same cert to my N70 and it installs fine.

I've used OpenSSL to copy to and from PEM to DER format - still no joy. Could it be that there is something wrong with self certified root certs created using Windows Certification Server?

Last edited by matt_storr; 16-08-2006 at 07:32 PM.

Old 21-08-2006, 04:56 PM

karlossus is on a distinguished road
I am having the same problem with a P990i. I can install the certificate but they are held in the user store not in the CA store. When I sync I have to ok the certificate each time. If anyone has a solution then please post it here. I have tried using OpenSSL to convert the .cer file but it doesn't seem to make a difference.