All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

  #1  
Old 13-02-2009, 12:48 PM
nitro fan nitro fan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 88
nitro fan is on a distinguished road
Question Expired Certificate

Almost every time I try to install Trial SW from Handango I get the following message on the handset "Expired certificate!" anyone have any idea what is going on ?
Ads

  #2  
Old 13-02-2009, 01:50 PM
ccraig's Avatar
ccraig ccraig is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: ,UK
Posts: 472
ccraig is on a distinguished road
i have same kind of problem except its every single app out there what it says it on
only thing i can install is iplayer lol
even nokias own recomendations from download app wont install ,
great 1st 1 hour i'm having with it NOT lol
__________________
Soccer players do it for 90 minutes in 11 different positions.

  #3  
Old 13-02-2009, 05:50 PM
aktotyt's Avatar
aktotyt aktotyt is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 6
aktotyt is on a distinguished road
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro fan View Post
Almost every time I try to install Trial SW from Handango I get the following message on the handset "Expired certificate!" anyone have any idea what is going on ?
Oh,that is a very little problem
Just change your year to one back,if it doesnt work one more

  #4  
Old 13-02-2009, 07:03 PM
coffeecat coffeecat is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 30
coffeecat is on a distinguished road
I had this problem (not initially, but after a few days). Couldn't even install Adobe PDF reader or anything.

A quick google found it seemed to be a common bug on the 5800, and the best advice (albeit NOT guaranteed to work...) was to do a kind've hard reset back to factory settings.

eg: http://www.walkernews.net/2009/01/20...-installation/

For me, this has (so far) fixed the problem, although it was a huge PITA because then I had to spend a couple of hours "rebuilding" my phone in terms of settings, profiles, themes, software etc etc.

Oh, and changing the clock date is almost guaranteed NOT to work.

It's a weird bug because quite a few people seem to have it, but presumably many many more people don't have it.

CC

  #5  
Old 14-02-2009, 12:42 AM
ccraig's Avatar
ccraig ccraig is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: ,UK
Posts: 472
ccraig is on a distinguished road
formatting don't change a thing guys ,that was 1st thing i tried before writing earlier post
the not being able to install anything at all seems to be a UK variant problem only and i just found out from Cal on ngage site he had same problem and only way to solve it is by selecting a different location to UK ,he says it works if u format then choose hong kong .
this is a bug effecting ppl selecting UK as there location it seems ,
all the ppl reporting this bug on nokia discussions site all have a UK variant with product code 0575581 same as me
__________________
Soccer players do it for 90 minutes in 11 different positions.

Last edited by ccraig; 14-02-2009 at 12:46 AM.

  #6  
Old 15-02-2009, 01:59 PM
nitro fan nitro fan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 88
nitro fan is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

I have tried the following:

Updating the Firmware from V11.0.008 to V11.0.009
Reset the phone to factory settings

But I still have the Expired Certificates problem.

What do we do? emailing the support section of the Nokia site elicits nothing more helpful than a standard template email reply.

So it is clear that Nokia are NOT only not reading any of the emails Nokia are clearly NOT interested in solving the problem, and I thought Sony Ericsson were bad


My next port of call is going to be T-Mobile as they supplied the phone, What is everyone else doing?

  #7  
Old 15-02-2009, 04:28 PM
coffeecat coffeecat is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 30
coffeecat is on a distinguished road
If I were a developer, I'd be thinking twice about investing in developing software for S60 5th / the 5800, if some big chunk of the potential customer base would never buy my products because their (so called smart) phones were actually incapable of installing any new software.

I can't believe Nokia can let this one go on for long...!

CC

  #8  
Old 15-02-2009, 04:54 PM
nitro fan nitro fan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 88
nitro fan is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
If I were a developer, I'd be thinking twice about investing in developing software for S60 5th / the 5800, if some big chunk of the potential customer base would never buy my products because their (so called smart) phones were actually incapable of installing any new software.

I can't believe Nokia can let this one go on for long...!

CC
At the moment I am struggling to understand how nobody seems to want to acknowledge there is a problem.

*The developers rightly say we cant help
*Nokia just put up a barrier to stop themselves hearing that there is a problem!
*So far my operator is unable to advise me further than direct me to a Nokia service centre.
*So far the service centre (who have been great) can say no more than its a bug! but they cant help me.

BUT I suppose we have to expect teething troubles with a new OS however this has been out there since November 08 and the clock IS ticking
Especially as the major operators in Europe are taking the device. I remember only too well the debacle of the Sony Ericsson P990 and the damage that did to Sony Ericsson's smartphone market.

IF you are taking a look at this forum Nokia please take note it is NOT good customer service to ignor the fact some of your customers have a real problem if it is not solved soon I can live without the 5800xm Samsung have some great offerings out there now so over to you Nokia.

  #9  
Old 16-02-2009, 02:47 PM
ccraig's Avatar
ccraig ccraig is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: ,UK
Posts: 472
ccraig is on a distinguished road
i jchanged my product from the UK variant to euro1
then flashed my phone to v20 and problem is solved
you have 3 choices
1.i heard that formatting phone memory without having your memory card plugged in solved it for some
2.change your product code to euro1 and update firmware to v20(i did that problem solved)
3.wait it out for v20
__________________
Soccer players do it for 90 minutes in 11 different positions.

  #10  
Old 16-02-2009, 05:10 PM
nitro fan nitro fan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 88
nitro fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccraig View Post
i jchanged my product from the UK variant to euro1
then flashed my phone to v20 and problem is solved
you have 3 choices
1.i heard that formatting phone memory without having your memory card plugged in solved it for some
2.change your product code to euro1 and update firmware to v20(i did that problem solved)
3.wait it out for v20

What does "changed my product" mean please how come you have V20 I flashed min on Saturday and I have V11.0.009 I must have missed something HUGE on Sunday is all I can say! I will give it another go tonight.

  #11  
Old 17-02-2009, 03:15 AM
ccraig's Avatar
ccraig ccraig is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: ,UK
Posts: 472
ccraig is on a distinguished road
it was meant to say "changed my product code " you just use an pc application and write in a new product code in place of your own
if u write in a code what already as v20 firmware then it will allow u to update to v20
__________________
Soccer players do it for 90 minutes in 11 different positions.

  #12  
Old 17-02-2009, 10:41 AM
nitro fan nitro fan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 88
nitro fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccraig View Post
it was meant to say "changed my product code " you just use an pc application and write in a new product code in place of your own
if u write in a code what already as v20 firmware then it will allow u to update to v20
That sounds interesting, How do I go about changing the product code please

  #13  
Old 18-02-2009, 12:19 PM
nitro fan nitro fan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 88
nitro fan is on a distinguished road
At last some light on the horizon
My local Nokia Service centre has told me they can help so that is where I shall be on Saturday morning, they were so good last time I upgraded my better half (that is what she claims she is!) to a 5800 so I am hoping for great things! They wrere notimpressed when I repeated what the Nokia Care people in god knows where were telling customers all 5800 are faulty and should return them to a service centre

  #14  
Old 20-02-2009, 04:47 PM
nitro fan nitro fan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 88
nitro fan is on a distinguished road
I am stunned, not only did Nokia get a Techie to call me the advice he gave me WORKED! I can now install applications.

this is what I was advised to do:

1. Do a backup to the memory card via file manager
2. then type in the following code *#7370# (you will need the unlock code 12345)
3. the phone will reset
4. When the phone restarts you MUST set up the Time Zone- Location- etc

Worked a treat for me

  #15  
Old 21-02-2009, 02:11 PM
fikhl fikhl is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3
fikhl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
I had this problem (not initially, but after a few days). Couldn't even install Adobe PDF reader or anything.

A quick google found it seemed to be a common bug on the 5800, and the best advice (albeit NOT guaranteed to work...) was to do a kind've hard reset back to factory settings.

eg: http://www.walkernews.net/2009/01/20...-installation/

For me, this has (so far) fixed the problem, although it was a huge PITA because then I had to spend a couple of hours "rebuilding" my phone in terms of settings, profiles, themes, software etc etc.

Oh, and changing the clock date is almost guaranteed NOT to work.

It's a weird bug because quite a few people seem to have it, but presumably many many more people don't have it.

CC
Thanks for the tip man! I'll try it and hopefully it'd work!
EDIT: It worked! A huge thanks to allaboutsymbian community! and shame on you Nokia...

Last edited by fikhl; 21-02-2009 at 07:23 PM.
 

Bookmarks

Tags
certificate, expired

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Certificate has expired at the time it was used ChIcO*GsM Sony Ericsson W950 and W960i 0 02-12-2008 03:31 AM
expired certificate satt Nokia N80 1 20-02-2008 09:25 PM
expired certificate installing skins vwguy16 Nokia N95 and N95 8GB 8 13-02-2008 11:25 AM
certificate expired jindalarpan Nokia N91, N91 8GB and Nokia 3250 0 23-10-2007 07:09 AM
Expired certificate eric325 Nokia N80 4 05-09-2007 02:03 PM



All times are GMT. The time now is 07:22 AM.


vBulletin skins developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Notes || Contact Us || Privacy Policy