All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 21-04-2005, 10:26 AM

Masamune is on a distinguished road
OK - I'm starting to get amazingly confused here:

Do I need visual Studio .NET or will standard Visual C++ do?

What SDKs do I need - there seems to be a billion and one...

Do I really have to splash 500 for CodeWarrior - I'm just one home user looking to play around with programming, I'm not a massive developer.

If someone could do a list of what's needed (try to avoid acronyms if possible)...

Old 21-04-2005, 11:32 AM

N/A is on a distinguished road
Can't avoid acronyms entirely, but here's a "decision tree" for Nokia phones:

Do you want to develop apps using the Java or C++ programming languages: pick Java (MIDP) SDK or C++ SDK

What development environment (IDE, Integrated Development Environment) you intend use: SDK for CodeWarrior or SDK for Borland or SDK for Microsoft.

What phone do you want to target: Determines version of Series 60, Series 80 or 7710 SDK.

You don't have to use an IDE (and live with just command line tools), but then you can't use the emulator and have to do all your trials and testing on an actual device.

SDK = Software Development Kit

MIDP = Mobile Information Device Profile (defines a subset of Java support), part of the J2SE (Java 2 Micro Edition) specifications.

Old 21-04-2005, 11:43 AM

Ok that's cleared up most of my questions -

Visual C++ 6 is my weapon of choice.

The device is my shiny new Sendo X and other Series 60's.

I assume that I'll need the Microsoft SDK in that case.

The book you recommend - does it take things right from the beginning (i.e. Hello, world-type programs to start with)?

Old 21-04-2005, 12:30 PM

Pretty much. It assumes you know C++ to some degree, though.

And if you want to use your Sendo X, then the SDK version is 1.2 (Series 60 1.2 or "Series 60 1st Edition") and for MIDP Java it'd be an SDK for MIDP 1.0.

See also the Sendo-specific developer site: http://www.sendo.com/sendo/developers

Old 28-04-2005, 05:44 AM
AzuManga

problems with helloworld 8))

Hi 8))

I've installed SDK, Java Runtime, Perl, vc6+sp5 and have some problems with compiling helloworld example 8((

here's the result of typin abld build wins udeb in command line:

NMAKE: fatal error U1073: don't know how to make '"\Symbian\7.0s\Series60_v21_CW\EPOC32\RELEASE\WIN S\UDEB\EEXE.LIB"'

there's no explanation of this problem in SDK 8((
please help me 8)))

Old 29-04-2005, 10:22 AM

bigeddie is on a distinguished road
i am thinking of writing an application for 7710 S90 phone, don't have a clue between J2ME or C++. i have always been using delphi and all right with the logic etc. so am i likely to running in to trouble with these 2 language or there are no trouble can't be solved here? ?

btw i am goign to write it for my dessertation!

thanks

Old 29-04-2005, 10:48 AM

Azu - Are you following the Developing Series 60 Apps book by Nokia? If you are, make sure you download the code examples from the Nokia forum, otherwise your apps won't work.

BigEddie - You're writing Series 90 apps? Wow, and I thought Series 60 was tough. The problem is that Series 90 is still relatively new and most of the developers using it are very high level. It may be easier to get a cheap Series 60 phone and write for that. The book N/A recommends (the one I mentioned above) is pretty good but you'll hit a roadblock quite early on (as I have) if you don't have very, very good c++ knowledge. I would therefore very strongly recommend a friendly C++ book to get started with as well. Rumour had it that there was a C++ walkthrough guide being planned for AAS (which would be ideal for newbies like you and me) but I don't know what's happened with it.

Old 29-04-2005, 12:50 PM

bigeddie is on a distinguished road
Masamune: Thanks for the book, will have a look. in terms of which platform is that i have a 7710 and 7600 hence i have choices! reason been i wanna attack 7710 is bcos its new, so what about J2ME then? do you think it will be a little bit easier? and will my Delphi experiences help at all? ?

Old 11-05-2005, 06:11 PM

plc_nokia is on a distinguished road
howto code from scratch Symbian C++

Hello Guys,

I am new to Symbian C++ programming and I am trying to find a tutorial to actually demonstrate how to code from scratch. I am able to build all of the examples that come with the Symbian_v6_0_C_PLUS_Nokia_9200_Series_SDK_1_2, but I am trying to write my own apps. I am familiar with J2ME, but I need to see where to place header files and dependencies etc... Thank you ahead of time. Urgent!!!

Old 15-05-2005, 10:52 AM

dreich is on a distinguished road
Compiler differences

Hi,

I'm new to the Symbian platform (although I've been writing C since 1982). I just upgraded my mobile from a Motorola T190 to a Nokia 3230 so I'm looking at Series 60.

According to Nokia I can use Visual Studio, CodeWarrior, and Borland C++ Mobile Edition. (I have VS .Net already. I also have C++ Builder 5 and CodeWarrior on the Mac, too.)

Nokia's "Series 60 Developer Platform 1.0/2.0: Choosing An IDE" pdf file (Series_60_Developer_Platform_Choosing_An_IDE_v1_0 _2_0_en.pdf) is dated April 2004. That's a long time ago. That was before Nokia purchased the Symbian compiler from Metrowerks. Is all the information in it still applicable?

What are the current advantages and disadvantages between the three IDEs?

Thanks,
David

Old 23-05-2005, 10:56 AM

kammaldeep is on a distinguished road
dont know where to start from

hey all
i m not new to c , vc++..bt i m not that good coder ... i wish to write some application for symbian 6 series .. i have vc with pearl & sdk of nokia frm nokia.forum ....
now when i see program files some developement tools for nokia 6 series..i see
1st. AIF builder
2nd. CS help
3rd. Sisar... i also have elumuntors
i supp this is alright ...now i wish to start programin i dont knwo whwre to start frm ....can any one o fu help me plzzzzzzzzzzzz

Old 23-05-2005, 11:48 AM

Probably best to buy or borrow this book to start with: http://forum.nokia.com/main/1,6566,40_2,00.html

See also the numerous tutorials on http://www.newlc.com

Old 16-08-2005, 01:50 PM

sudipto_lodh is on a distinguished road
itoa function equivalent

Hi , please tell me what is the equivalent Symbian C++ function call for itoa in Linux

Last edited by sudipto_lodh; 16-08-2005 at 01:52 PM.

Old 26-02-2006, 06:00 PM

bietz is on a distinguished road
symbian on Visual Studio.NEt 2005?

how can I program for symbian on Visual Studio 2005 after having installed the SDK? what is needed more? or is it already compatible? I heard of something like crossfire (appforge)

please help!

Old 28-05-2006, 08:39 PM
it's me

Talking

can i use Borland IDE (Delphi 7) instead of Microsoft Visual Studio???/

eshaghna atsign yahoo.com