All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 10-09-2007, 05:26 PM

Duncan J Murray is on a distinguished road
Vodafone UK and E90

Hi All,

I think it was early this year I decided to get an E90 as a replacement for my old Psions - but I didn't think it would take this long to get hold of one!

Just phoned Vodafone - they say that they did have a batch come in at the end of last month, but they've been having a lot of problems with the microphone etc.. and have sent back all of their stock of E90s to Nokia. They are hoping for Nokia to supply them at the end of the month or early next month in a large batch of several thousand, but they won't be coming in dribs and drabs in the meantime.

For those of you already on vodafone with the E90, how are you finding it? What sort of tariff and deal did you settle on, and are you generally satisfied? For me vodafone is the most sensible choice as O2 seem to charge a lot more for browsing the internet.

All best,
Duncan.

Old 17-09-2007, 04:06 PM

Dogmann is on a distinguished road
Hi Duncan,

If you really intend using a lot of Data and not only over WiFi although Voda are cheaper than 02 they are still way too expensive IMO. The flat rate data pack allows you up to 120MB across the month for £7.50. If you go over your MB allowance, you will be charged at £2 per MB for every additional MB you use which IMO is a total rip off.

Also the monthly web browsing pack cannot be used for Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) services such as Skype or Peer-to-Peer services (such as instant messenger services, text messaging clients or file sharing). These services are not included in your monthly pack, and are charged separately at £2 per MB.

So IMO buying a E90 Sim free and going with T-Mobile even with their premium price plans that allow all these things will still work out much cheaper over the course of a year if you are going to use a lot of Data.

Put it this way if you only intend to use Data on your device and not any of the extras you would get up to 1GB for £7.50 per month with T-Mobile. If you used just half this amount with Voda it would cost you £7.50 for the first 120mb and a whopping £760 extra even if you used 500mb which more than pays for a Sim Free E90 plus of course it will be free from any nasty branding and get Firmware updates as soon as they are realised not when VodaFone feel like releasing them which can be some months later. Of course it's your decision but i know what i would do.

Marc

Old 17-09-2007, 11:51 PM

Duncan J Murray is on a distinguished road
Hi Dogmann,

Thanks for your advice. I'm certainly having second thoughts about Vodafone. The problem is that I'm currently working in an area with reception difficulties - I was originally on Orange, and frustratingly the calls would be dropped on a regular basis, even if it showed full signal. Since posting my original query, I've been trying a vodafone PAYG sim and discovered that while it's much much better, it't still pretty bad (primarily I think because the nearest mast station for vodafone is actually on the building I work in).

It's starting to look like O2 is the better network around here, but I haven't checked out T-Mobile, although from the gov mobile website I don't see any of their masts nearby. Certainly I'd much rather get a SIM-free phone than a voda-branded one, and what you mention about 'the internet' not actually covering data calls - that's a big problem since I was hoping to use the mobile with my laptop for internet access on the train etc...

The further you delve into it, the more complicated it gets... But I'll certainly be checking out T-Mobile's reception round here. O2's tarriff data tarriff seems even worse than voda's!

Duncan.

P.S. I don't understand how vodafone can differentiate the various types of 'internet access' - surely it's all just data? I find it irritating when companys go to great lengths to deliberately limit use of a facility we're paying for, for little apparent benefit to anyone.

Old 27-09-2007, 01:01 AM

Johnmcl7 is on a distinguished road
It's not just data - various applications use certain master servers and specific ports which Vodafone can detect and charge differently. I do agree with you that they shouldn't be doing it though.

John

Old 28-09-2007, 09:09 PM

zestuart is on a distinguished road
Hi Duncan,

Don't know where you are in Oxford, but I'm on T-Mob and find that I get pretty good coverage, with a good bit of 3.5g on my n95. Milton Park (where I work) only has 2g, and every so often I have drop outs on the a34 but for the most part it's all good.

My e90 is on order at the moment (some nonsense delay like waiting for factory stock) so I don't know exactly what it's like, but I'm sure very similar to the n95.

Happy to help if you have any areas of coverage you want to know about, and just to sway you to T-Mob: their data is faster than the other networks (AFAIK none of the others have gone up to 3.5g...), and the 7.50 PCM W&W does me very nicely.

Z

Old 29-09-2007, 09:47 AM

ScottE90 is on a distinguished road
I bought my e90 from the nokia shop in Oxford.

I got a mobile internet package, which seems to be the best deal going?!

25quid a month gives you 3gb per month (vodaphone told me 100mb per day, but im not sure if its per day or per month, not really a problem eitherway).

Ive not tried any VOIP yet, but i would be annoyed if vodaphone was charging differently dependant on port access. I think im on the same package that they offer to the plug in cards / usb 3g modems, so i dont think they would differentiate for those customers?

i also find sometimes i can have good 3g signal, and then 10 minutes later, no 3g connection at all, and thats on my desk in witney...

I have noticed though some lower signal qualities compared to my old nokia on the same network... Eitherway, when on a lower signal, it still seems to make calls fine, but data is painful when not in 3g mode...

Old 27-12-2007, 05:34 PM

bosshoggtv is on a distinguished road
Hi,

ScottE90 can I ask you a couple of quick questions with regards to your post as I am about to buy the nokia e90?

Did you buy the e90 sim free from Nokia and then buy a mobile broadband connection from Vodafone?

I was thinking of doing that but was told buy vodafone it wouldn't work! You could only use the data sim in the usb modem provided.

Please advise as I am sure there is a way of using the 3gb a month sim in the E90.

Many thanks for your time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottE90 View Post
I bought my e90 from the nokia shop in Oxford.

I got a mobile internet package, which seems to be the best deal going?!

25quid a month gives you 3gb per month (vodaphone told me 100mb per day, but im not sure if its per day or per month, not really a problem eitherway).

Ive not tried any VOIP yet, but i would be annoyed if vodaphone was charging differently dependant on port access. I think im on the same package that they offer to the plug in cards / usb 3g modems, so i dont think they would differentiate for those customers?

i also find sometimes i can have good 3g signal, and then 10 minutes later, no 3g connection at all, and thats on my desk in witney...

I have noticed though some lower signal qualities compared to my old nokia on the same network... Eitherway, when on a lower signal, it still seems to make calls fine, but data is painful when not in 3g mode...

Old 06-01-2008, 03:07 AM

ganjamanuss is on a distinguished road
hmm

Depends on the individual you speak to in Vodafone Retail

Some will quite happily supply phones with the data tarrifs some won't.

It is highly possible to switch sim cards between data tariffs and phone tariffs, whether you find someone who has the knowledge or the ability to do it is another matter.

So yes it is entirely possible to have a data tariff on a Nokia E90, just don't try to make calls with it lol :-) It'll force every call into Data mode ! Or at least it used to 6 months ago, haven't tried putting a data sim in a normal phone in a while, might go and try that now ;-D

Old 06-01-2008, 01:02 PM

Thanks ganjamanuss,

I have just signed up to the 3gb data plan for £30 a month which comes with a 3G dataUSB Modem 7.2Mbps. I tried the sim with my normal phone in the last couple of days and it worked fine, I am just waiting for it to come through on my online vodafone account to see if I was charged for that usage or it was included in my 3gb allowance.
If it was included I will then by the e90 sim free and use the sim in it.

Samuel
Ads

Old 07-01-2008, 03:16 PM

hey hey

Yeah weird that you can now make voice calls using the sim, back when they were first starting with data cards, they used to provision the SIMS to only make data calls if you tried to make a call.

What with oldskool data calls being a thing of the past, one of the brighter employee's might have decided to stop preconfiguring them to only make outgoing data calls.

Nice to know, haven't got round to digging one of my data card sims out to try yet !

Oh and I can pretty much guarantee that you won't be charged for the data (barring anymore of the lovely vodafone billing cockups), of course calls will be chargeable at the flat rate, but your tariff has pretty much unrestricted net allowance, so using it in a phone or via a laptop you wont be charged, there's no monitoring on your tariff except around your limit !

Enjoy

Last edited by ganjamanuss; 07-01-2008 at 03:18 PM.

Old 08-01-2008, 06:25 PM

Hopefullyuseful is on a distinguished road
Hi bosshoggtv,

I can see there are some uncleared up issues here and I'd like to give you the correct information.

If you have a Vodafone SIM card that has a Vodafone data tariff assigned to it, you're unable to make voice calls using the SIM. You can however use the SIM card in a normal mobile phone and browse the internet from it. You'd then be using your data allowance from your tariff.

There is no way of allowing a SIM assigned to a data tariff to make voice calls too. The tariff is set up to only allow data and not voice.

Hope this helps clear things up for you.

Hopefullyuseful
Vodafone UK

Old 08-01-2008, 06:48 PM

Many thanks Hopefullyuseful and ganjamanuss,

I am not to fussed about voice calls to be honest, I just wanted to make sure I could make use of the 3gb on the e90. I believe I can also use the e90 as a modem so I can connect my laptop to the internet and use some of my 3gb allowance this way.

Will I have change the settings on the e90 to let it know the it is mobile broadband rather than just the normal wap settings?

Many thanks for all your help,

Samuel

Old 09-01-2008, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopefullyuseful View Post

I can see there are some uncleared up issues here and I'd like to give you the correct information.

If you have a Vodafone SIM card that has a Vodafone data tariff assigned to it, you're unable to make voice calls using the SIM. You can however use the SIM card in a normal mobile phone and browse the internet from it. You'd then be using your data allowance from your tariff.

There is no way of allowing a SIM assigned to a data tariff to make voice calls too. The tariff is set up to only allow data and not voice.
I did say last time I checked :-)

. . . beyond that for using the phone as a modem, just slam in the USB data cable, with Nokia PC Suite installed, click on the old access internet button in the pc suite, choose vodafone UK and the E90 USB modem, hit connect, and u're up and running.

Manually setting up bluetooth is a bit of a chore and if u want the full 3.6 odd meg that you can get with the E90 bluetooth won't really suffice anyway.