All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 04-06-2010, 06:23 PM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjdean View Post
Ok, lets imagine the Nokia N8, but with Android, lets call it, the A8. And lets imagine they gave it a stock Android interface but all the hardware support with 16 Gig, Wireless N, FM Radio, FM Transmitter, HDMI out, 12 MP Camera and Xenon flash (ooh sounds better all the time) out of the box.

Would you have the A8 over the N8?

I think I personally would.
Surprised myself this week and decided I couldn't wait for Nokia's next/new/improved O/S, and ended up buying an Andriod HTC Desire.

After one day's use I am VERY impressed overall... apart from one silly little design flaw - all the apps have to be installed to the internal memory on Andriod.
Therefore after only one day I have 25MB free on the phone memory and 6.5GB free on the memory card - and I only installed about 10 apps from the Android Market.

The next few weeks will result in me either putting my N97 on eBay (or not! my partner has bet me I will never be happy with a non Nokia handset and will buy another in 3 months)

Last edited by dez_borders; 04-06-2010 at 06:40 PM.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:19 PM

ironass is on a distinguished road
dez...

Please don't say that you've crossed over to the dark side!

Hopefully, like the Terminator, you'll be back.

Does seem crazy that you can only install app's to the internal memory.

I must say, the one thing I've always coveted about HTC was the clock. I was so disappointed when not even Pizero's Black Pro theme could change it.

However, today with the help of SPB Shell, and a little modding, I've got my wish.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scr000056.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	4841  

Old 05-06-2010, 05:43 AM

angiepea is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dez_borders View Post
Surprised myself this week and decided I couldn't wait for Nokia's next/new/improved O/S, and ended up buying an Andriod HTC Desire.
DEZ !!!!!
hang your head in shame and go and sit on the naughty step

Old 05-06-2010, 06:58 AM

nottmbantam is on a distinguished road
Quote:

After one day's use I am VERY impressed overall... apart from one silly little design flaw - all the apps have to be installed to the internal memory on Andriod.
Therefore after only one day I have 25MB free on the phone memory and 6.5GB free on the memory card - and I only installed about 10 apps from the Android Market.

The next few weeks will result in me either putting my N97 on eBay (or not! my partner has bet me I will never be happy with a non Nokia handset and will buy another in 3 months)
Apparently, the solution to this is to "root" your Android device, once this is done, you can then install apps onto the SD card.

Not sure how to do it, but I think it's akin to debranding a Nokia device, voids your warranty- do it at your own risk etc etc. THe benefits do seem to be greater than the risks, esp this issie of then freeing up more phone memory.

As I've mentioned a few times before, I was on the verge of getting a Desire, but in the end, I'd have been paying virtually the same money I paid for the N97, but it had a few less features ( but ultimately better performance! )

In the end, went with an E72, which I have to say, impresses me more each passing week I have it, and don't covet a 'fancy touchscreen " phone these days....
RM-530
E72-1

Old 05-06-2010, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironass View Post
dez...

Please don't say that you've crossed over to the dark side!

Hopefully, like the Terminator, you'll be back.
I haven't left AAS, not yet anyway.

Quote:
Does seem crazy that you can only install app's to the internal memory.
This morning I only have 17.8MB free in phone memory on the HTC, and have probably around 1/3 the number of apps installed on HTC compared with N97.

You can install apps to memory card if you root the device, but this invalidates the warranty, risks brisking the device, and disables future (automated) updates of FW and APPS so I am not going there. Hopefully Andriod will support installing to memory card in some future FW version.

Quote:
I must say, the one thing I've always coveted about HTC was the clock. I was so disappointed when not even Pizero's Black Pro theme could change it.

However, today with the help of SPB Shell, and a little modding, I've got my wish.
Well Done! However, lovely though the HTC clock is, it takes up half the main home screen, which could have displayed my most used apps and widgets.

I am still assessing battery charge / life on the HTC. All that pretty animation and running widgets/apps in the background must take their toll. lol.

I need to make a long-term decision in a week or 2 as to whether to go back to my N97 or stay with HTC as I can't afford to keep both devices.
After that I won't be able to afford another handset change for at least 12 months. (I am on PAYG, so buy my mob's Sim-Free).

Last edited by dez_borders; 05-06-2010 at 08:29 AM.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:48 AM

ironass is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Well Done! However, lovely though the HTC clock is, it takes up half the main home screen, which could have displayed my most used apps and widgets.
Luckily, that's the beauty of SPB Shell, you can have as many as 10 home screens, although I confine myself to just 3.

This clock (and its size) is perfect for my old eyes. Well worth giving the 15 day trial a go on SPB Shell as I believe it shows what the Symbian platform can do and what should have been installed on the N97 from launch.

Might even change your mind about the N97. Its certainly given mine a whole new lease of life.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:10 AM

nottmbantam is on a distinguished road
Tried replying to this thread earlier in the day, but that old chestnut of my posts being moderated raised its ugly head again....

Re the OS of the device, anyone see the post marketing the new UI for S60 phones - hiplogic? Just wonder if anyone knows of a "friend of a friend" who might have tried it. Looks interesting.....

Right - just about to press the 'Submit' button. It will either appear 'as if by magic' or probably be lost in the ether.....
RM-530
E72-1

Old 05-06-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Luckily, that's the beauty of SPB Shell, you can have as many as 10 home screens, although I confine myself to just 3.

This clock (and its size) is perfect for my old eyes. Well worth giving the 15 day trial a go on SPB Shell as I believe it shows what the Symbian platform can do and what should have been installed on the N97 from launch.

Might even change your mind about the N97. Its certainly given mine a whole new lease of life.
I will certainly try out PSB Shell if I decide not to keep the HTC

HTC Update: Battery almost dead after 12 hours, 2 GPS apps (Google Maps Navigation Beta and CoPilot) both send voice guidance thru speaker instead of connected bluetooth headset.

Last edited by dez_borders; 05-06-2010 at 07:22 PM.

Old 06-06-2010, 03:18 PM

celios is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Android 2.2 fixes this, giving you the choice to install to phone memory or SD card. It also adds the option of making your phone a WiFi hotspot (like joikuspot) and speeds the browser up by around 200% and the OS operation in general.

Only problem with HTC sense is that it takes HTC a while longer to get the android updates out vs vanilla android.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by celios View Post
Android 2.2 fixes this, giving you the choice to install to phone memory or SD card. It also adds the option of making your phone a WiFi hotspot (like joikuspot) and speeds the browser up by around 200% and the OS operation in general.

Only problem with HTC sense is that it takes HTC a while longer to get the android updates out vs vanilla android.
That's good to know, thanks. I will just have to await the 2.2 software upgrade prompt to appear.