All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 01-03-2003, 10:19 AM

michis0806 is on a distinguished road
Are you selling our eMails?

I just received this from "Your Symbian"
Quote:
Your Symbian - Telling you All About Symbian

We would like to thank your for subscribing to Your Symbian. Your e-mail address came from one of several e-mail lists that All About Symbian runs (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com). All About Symbian's e-mail lists are being amalgamated into the Your Symbian magazine. We believe this will enable you to receive a better level of information, entertainment and service.

You are receiving this e-mail to let you know that you are subscribed to Your Symbian (YS). YS is a fortnightly magazine for Symbian Computers, with issues released every other Monday. It is currently available only via email subscription . Your email address is held by YS and will not be passed to any third party. You can learn more about Your Symbian at our website (http://www.yoursymbian.com).

The first issue of Your Symbian will be sent this Monday. YS will include comment articles, news, software and forums round up and we hope you will find it fun an exciting.

If you do not wish to receive YS you can unsubscribe using the link at the bottom of this email or through YS's website. We hope that you will choose to stay subscribed and sample at least the first few issues before making any decision.

-- The YS Editorial Team
Sophie Kano (Editor) and Team YS!
sophie@yoursymbian.com

--
To unsubscribe from: Your Symbian, just follow this link:

http://www.yoursymbian.com/cgi-bin/mojo.cgi?f=u&l=ys&e=xxx@xx.xx&p=5097

Click this link, or copy and paste the address into your browser.
Did you sell my-eMail-Adress?

Old 01-03-2003, 10:23 AM

Sam here... - I have never subscribed to this Site!

What happened? Have you given away my email address?

Old 01-03-2003, 12:12 PM

TobyAnscombe is on a distinguished road
Don't know if it is coincedence but I seem to be having a lot of virus emails at the moment having joined last week - all with the W32.Gibe.B@mm virus.

As I say - I'm sure it's coincedence

Old 01-03-2003, 03:36 PM

Dazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud of
No please read a thread about this [here].

There is nothing to worry about

Old 01-03-2003, 07:56 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
As Dalzer said please read the other thread this has also ben discussed here. Brief summary is that that email was from All About Symbian. Your Symbian is the new newsletter of AAS (although it is much borader is scope than that). Your Symbian is written by existing members of AAS and a few knew people. I thought the tag line at the top - Your Symbian - Telling you All About Symbian would make things clear - onbviously not! I can only say I'm sorry it wasn't clearer.

AAS / I would never pass on e-mails to a third party much less sell them to anyone. You got the e-mail because you were on an existing AAS mailing list (most of which aren;t used very reguarly. Rather than just have YS drop into your mailbox (despite having signed up for it effectively - think of AAS news becoming YS) we thought make it clear what was happening to everyone and give people a chnace to unsubscribe. I hope you dont unsubscribe because I think you will find ys a lot of fun.

Rafe

Old 02-03-2003, 11:49 PM

Me is on a distinguished road
Sorry guys but that's just wrong. Even if it is great, or YOU think it's great, you should send an Email asking if we want to Subscribe, not giving us an option to Unsubscribe. That is a low blow and a technique used by telemarketers, not by proffesionals. To begin with, in most SPAM cases hitting the unsubscribe button actually put's you on a separate high priority list for spamming, because it actually means you opened the email, reaad it, thought about it and answered it. Which is exactly the kind of costumer they're seeking. Again, BEFORE you subscribe us to anything let us know.

This is why so many people make up hot emails just for subscriptions, to avoid being forwarded. I for one used my real Email, don't make me be sorry i did. please. :-?

Old 03-03-2003, 12:23 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
I'm sorry you feel this way. I know I had one other e-mail expressing similar sentiments. I hope the feeling isnlt too wide spread otherwsie I'm going to feel very guilty. If you wish to unsubscrieb (and be sure you are doing so) you can e-mail me persoanlly at rafe@allaboutsymbian.com and I will remove your address manually. I can assure you though that the unsubscribe process works (as some of you have already found - and thankt ot the majority of you who finding it worked promptly resubscribed!).

Just to make thign even clearer.. No one received this initial message unless they had already signed up to an AAS newsletters. This is a continuation of the AAS newsletter(s) (yes there were more than one) (which had died out in last few months). All that has happened in a name change. I clealry didn't explain this clearly enough in the original e-mail (and I suspect having it signed by the new (unfamiliar) editor did not help).

I'll be more careful if this ever comes up again and consult more widely. I did check with numerous people this time (some of whom thought I was being too catious! - I suspect this is because they were in some way involved in the idea). I hope this han't pissed people off to much. If it has tell me about it either here or by e-mail and I will try to address your concerns.

Later Edit: By the way you called us professionals - that generous but not entirely true - which is probably why this happened.

Old 03-03-2003, 04:37 AM

Link is on a distinguished road
I was getting a lot of junk mail long before I joined here, so I really don't care anymore.

Old 03-03-2003, 11:31 AM

I actually dont have a problem with what happened and thought I'd say so so Rafe et al don;t think everyone's annoyed. Although it might have been better worded I think the introductory messaged was all that was needed, and I think given everyone one on the list was already on aas mailing lists it wouldn't have been out of place for it to just have replaced the aas stuff I got (which I've missed recently)

I for one am delighted that someone is taking Symbian seriously and is taking the trouble to write a decent magazine. I perfectly understand Rafe's decision to put it under another site, I could see it easily being lost within the sprawl of the bigger site.

just my 2 cents

B

Old 03-03-2003, 11:54 AM
Ye Olde Administratorium

Ewan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to behold
Folks,

I'm aso helping Sophie and Rafe with the YS newsletter, and have to say that I think out of a significant number of people who had signed up to the various AAS and Yahoo email lists Rafe runs, the number of people who have a serious issue is very low, I think it's around 10-15.

Technically speaking, we didn't need to send that first introductory message as you had given permission on originally signing up - but after researching (and going on gut feelings) we thought it best to send a "this is what's happening" email so you wouldn't get surprised at a new magazine in the email box.

For your information, around 200 people have decided to unsubscribe following the first email - hopefully the rest of you want to read an issue or two before ditching us!

BTW We'll mention this again in the first issue, and hopefully clear it up. Hopefully this little hiccup (because we're being catious) will all be forgotton once the light hearted YS becomes something you look forward to in your email box.
-- Twitter: @ewan