All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 29-03-2005, 11:29 PM

unals is on a distinguished road
Thank you N/A. I think I will install Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0.
here is what I did before:
I installed Series 60 2nd Edition SDK FP 2, MIDP 1.0 (for java) and 1.0 (for C++)...
Both of them include the emulator. My java runtime env. is jre-1_5_0_02-windows-i586-p.
I think I will not go for java, I will go for C++ instead. But having the jre doesn't hurt right?
Now all I need is to install Microsoft Visual Studio. Then what would the next step?
Thank you so much....

Old 30-03-2005, 12:28 AM

Before installing visual studio I wanted to read the hlep file of the "Series 60 2nd Edition SDK for Symbian OS Supporting Feature Pack 2 For C++ Supporting Microsoft Visual C++ and Borland C++BuilderX: Getting Started Guide" (long name huh? ).

I am stuck at the very beginning :( ...

it tells me tow write "devices" on my command prompt (in order to determine what my default SDK is), however when I type it i get the following message:

'perl' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Ok, I thought I neede perl interpreter. I went to perl.com and downloaded perl.5.8.6 (stable version)... but it still gives me the same error...please help ...

i also get the same eeror when I do the following:
"Open the command line window and enter to the following folder: <SDK_installation_directory>\Series60Ex\helloworld basic\group\
Enter following command:
makmake helloworldbasic.mmp vc7

(This will create the Visual C++ project files in the \helloworldbasic\group\ subdirectory.) ...but it gives me the 'perl' error!!!

Last edited by unals; 30-03-2005 at 12:40 AM.

Old 30-03-2005, 04:50 AM

N/A is on a distinguished road
Is Perl installed properly (with the Perl bin directory in the PATH so that it can be located)? What does the command perl -v say?

Old 30-03-2005, 03:14 PM

hmm, I think it is not. In which Path should I install the perl bin directory? "perl -v" command gives the same error. Should I uninstall and reinstall the perl or can I do path setting without un/re-install?

Last edited by unals; 30-03-2005 at 03:56 PM.

Old 30-03-2005, 04:11 PM

Just add the Perl bin directory (where ever you installed it) to the PATH environment variable (Control Panel > System > Advanced > Environment variables).

Old 30-03-2005, 04:35 PM

Thanks to N/A for his/her help. I installed activeperl and it works fine...
However i still couldnt manage to get down to the helloworld application...

Last edited by unals; 31-03-2005 at 10:43 PM.

Old 30-03-2005, 04:37 PM

Old 10-04-2005, 08:42 AM

familiar is on a distinguished road
symbian c++

hello friends
i m trying to develop symbian applicaitons using vc++ i ve downloaded the symbian sdk too but c++ fails to add workspace can anybody help me in that?
i m using windows xp and in getting started it has been written that supported platforms are win nt 4 and windows 2000 so is it the os version conflict?
Ads

Old 10-04-2005, 11:32 AM

Using Windows XP is OK. What version of Visual C++ do you have and which SDK version did you download?

Old 10-04-2005, 09:40 PM

ganet is on a distinguished road
Red face I need your help now

Dear brother

I want to programming mobile by vbmobile but I didn't find any one help me to understand me how this prgram do .

Sooooooooooooooo

I want from you to help me as soon as
I want to do blocking for any one who I don't like him and my mobile will appear as busy

I want this program as soon as
at 20/4/2005

please help me now

I need your help now

Old 11-04-2005, 04:14 AM

First of all, this thread topic is "Getting Started with Symbian C++"...

Then, I'm pretty sure that you can't both learn MobileVB and create such an app in 9 days.

In addition, I doubt you can do that level of programming with MobileVB in the first place. For low-level functionality access, you must use C++.

It might be best if you just go to the shop (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/shop/) and buy BlackList or BlackLister, instead (assuming you have a phone supported by them, in which case you may need a new phone, too).

Anyway, for MobileVB stuff, start looking on http://www.appforge.com/

Old 12-04-2005, 02:46 AM

Thank u

Thank u brother
but I want programming this program by c++ or mobilevb (by c++ ) because our teacher asked me to do this and search about its function by c++ ( I study c++ )

I really sad because you say I cannot do this but

I must do it and I have 3 friends also with me to programming mobile and they will studies with me soooooooooooooooooooooooooo help me

I'll try to understand much info .

please help me

Old 12-04-2005, 07:29 AM

The "VB" in MobileVB means "Visual Basic", which is a Microsoft programming language quite different from C++. With AppForge Crossfire (formerly MobileVB) tools some applications written in Visual Basic can be made for Symbian operating system (OS) based phones.

But, to do what you are trying to do, you must use C++.

If you are unfamiliar with C++ on Symbian based devices, it will take you a couple of months (at least) to get up to speed, if you already know programming and the C++ language.

If you don't, it will take longer, because you also have to learn to program and a programming language; one has to learn to walk before one can run.

For C++ development information, start with tools and info on http://forum.nokia.com and http://www.symbian.com/developer

I'm afraid, however, that from your description it seems that with the time remaining and the lack of skills, your mission is not likely to succeed (at least not by April 20th this year, but maybe 2006). Sorry.

Old 17-04-2005, 07:32 AM

Hi Dear

if you already know programming and the C++ language.
yes I know c++ language but not all about this language

I will try to learn more and more

our teacher expanded the time to 20/5/2005

soooooo
can i study this
I think that I must know only the commands for programming language to block number phone , I don't think that I must know all the commands
are you agree with me

I happy from you because you tell me the truth

thank u very very much

but i'll ask u
can I do this program in this time 25 dayes

please reply as soon as

Old 17-04-2005, 08:50 AM

Buy this book (it will get you up to speed faster): http://www.emccsoft.com/technology/series60.html

In any case, to do what you want to do, you will in all likelihood have to resort to using undocumented APIs (Application Programming Interfaces). Since they are undocumented, discovering them and making use of them on your own is not easy for someone not familiar with the tools and techniques available and with little experience.

I think you should consider doing a program with a less difficult/ambitious goal first (one that depends only on documented APIs and perhaps solves a well-known problem for which there is easy to find examples; a simple game, a dictionary app, or something).

Once you know how to do that type of programs, you can "graduate" to more challenging/difficult things. As I said earlier: you can't run, until you learn to walk first.