All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 11-01-2005, 02:36 PM

Thanh-BKK is on a distinguished road
Nokia 6260 SMS-to-MMC howto - read here!

(real problem solution here - could this thread be sticky?)

Hello

Being stunned by Nokia's ability to destroy my boyfriend's SMS that i sent him, i looked for a solution. A friend of mine in italy (i'm myself in Thailand so this is int'l teamwork) today named me an application yet he wasn't sure if it would work.

I googled for hours and finally was able to find and download the really small (TWO kilobytes!!) thingy, and install it on my boyfriend's 6260.

IT WORKS!!!!

Here is what you need to do:

Download the attachment to this thread. (To the moderators: the attached ZIP file contains "MSdriveE.sis" which is NOT a crack/copy/warez but a freeware which only is DAMN hard to find!)

Unzip the file, you will find "MSdriveE.sis". Put this on your 6260 by means of bluetooth, IrDA or directly to MMC via MMC reader device. DO NOT INSTALL JUST YET!

Make sure the file is on MMC! Do not keep it in messages inbox, move it from there using a file manager like fExplorer (freeware, google it).

Take a note of your message centre number (messaging - options - settings - text message - message centre in use) because it will be needed.

THEN install the small application from drive e, using the file manager software. Install it to MMC only!

Afterwards, in menu you will find a new application, "MSdriveE". Run it ONCE (!!!), it will seemingly do nothing and just exit after about 30 seconds. BUT........

NOW YOUR MESSAGES ARE SET TO MMC USE!!!!!! As the MMC card icon on top, when inside the "Messaging" menu, will confirm.

Now, before you can send SMS, you will need to re-input your message centre number, because it has been deleted. You will also need to tell MMS settings again which access point to use. AND all your stored messages will have seemingly disappeared - it happens only this one time and NEVER again, believe me. They are still there by the way, but in the phone memory, and can no longer be accessed.

Now, opposed to 3650 an d the like, you can NOT switch between phone and MMC memory - it is MMC only from now on. To get back to phone, you need to take the MMC out and reboot the phone without MMC. Upon entering the "Messaging" menu, it will switch to phone memory. To get back to MMC, simply run MSdriveE application again.

Kindest regards.....

your Thanh
Attached Files
File Type: zip msvdrivee.zip (974 Bytes, 1725 views)

Old 21-01-2005, 01:06 PM

nokya is on a distinguished road
thanks i just posted about this and saw your post, this shud be made a sticky!!

does this work with an rsmmc or just a mmc

Last edited by nokya; 21-01-2005 at 01:11 PM.

Old 21-01-2005, 02:23 PM

N/A is on a distinguished road
From the application's point of view, it sees (cannot see) any difference between a full-size MMC or an RS-MMC.

Old 21-01-2005, 04:55 PM

different to N-Gage too!!

Hello

I have been made aware that this application is initially also available for N-Gage and N-Gage QD but on those devices playing an mp3 will disable receiving of SMS when MSdriveE is in use.

The reson for that behaviour (and reason for NOT having SMS-in-MMC available in first place) is the unability of the phone to run more than one task with MMC access at one time. Therefor while playing mp3, also file managers will not be able to "see" the files in driveE:.

Again *i have been told so and haven't actually tested it*!!

However on the 6260 i HAVE tested it. And there is no such behaviour. The phone just functions normal, multiple MMC-accessing apps can run at any one time and MMS/SMS can be received during any other operation.

The only thing NOT available with MSdriveE is an ability to switch between MMC and phone memory, like in a 3650 or 6600.

Kind regards.....

Thanh

PS i wonder why nobody has yet downloaded the thingy - noone with the problem anymore, or just shy? Trust me, it runs on the 6260 that i bought for my boyfriend, and it works fine
Ads

Old 22-01-2005, 10:04 AM

thanks for clearing that up

i think theres something wrong with the download counter, because i know ive downloaded it and so have a few of my friends.

Old 22-01-2005, 02:28 PM

thank you :)

Hi

Thank you for your trust. I did not create that application, and in fact i was being told about it by a friend in Italy. I needed to google for an extended period of time to actually get hold of that file, and after testing it i tought since so many people have the same problem, i just post it in several forums where i am member to ease access to it. Since it is a freeware in first place, this is not spreading warez but purely helping 6260-users.

I do always help as good as i can, because i myself have received great help from other users over time. I believe in sharing of ideas and solutions, which does not include software piracy by the way - developers need to be paid for their work, otherwise they won't develop anymore. But as in sharing tricks and assistance, we all can learn from each other. Today i help you to stop losing your SMS's, tomorrow you might be able to tell me something that i didn't know.

It's a shame that Nokia didn't care for this in first place. The 6260's firmware is so buggy, i believe there was no testing at all before release.

Kind regards.....

your Thanh

Old 25-01-2005, 12:30 AM

qhe_pit is on a distinguished road
Thanh-BKK,

you said earlier that we need to re-input the message centre number again before sending sms. Do i need to do this every time before sending a sms or i just need to do it once.

Old 25-01-2005, 01:30 PM

once only :)

Hello

You need to do that only a single one time. The number is saved in "settings" and stays there.

Kind regards.....

your Thanh

Old 28-01-2005, 04:20 PM

can the messages stored on the mmc be read by a program and transferred to another phone/pc?

Old 29-01-2005, 03:06 PM

not sure about that... but can be backed up!

Hello

I am not sure if there is a program available to decode those..... maybe there is. But i am not aware of it. There are good chances that you can transfer the whole lot to another phone by copying the whole folder "system/mail" to the MMC of the other phone (got to be Symbian of course!) and it *should* work.... haven't tested it!

You can however NOT transfer/backup/copy SINGLE mails. Only the whole lot. That is because, even tough certain elements are in seperate files, the whole thing is similar to outlook express messages, where the whole bunch of mails is in one .dbx file. You need a program like dbxtract to get single mails out of that, and on the Nokia's it all depends very much on the "index" file in the mail folder.

Kind regards.......

Thanh

Old 31-01-2005, 01:16 AM

qhe_pit is on a distinguished road
i've read in another forum that the main reason nokia don't provide the setting for saving messages in the mmc is because the mmc is hot swap. meaning that the phone will crashed when the mmc is removed. So have you tried to swap the mmc while there phone still on?just curious,but i guess if using 512MB mmc, there's no need to swap any,

btw,only want to share some info.right now i am trying a method purposed by HanSolus. Remove the 3rd party application,Mighty Backup. Seems working fine for two weeks already. although the phone restarted, the messsages in inbox and 'my folder' still there!

Old 31-01-2005, 01:32 AM

Unplugged is on a distinguished road
The 6630 is hot swap and so is the Ngage QD when you remove the MMC it defaults the memory in use to the phone.

Last edited by Unplugged; 31-01-2005 at 01:35 AM.

Old 31-01-2005, 12:18 PM

tested, yup

Hello

Yup, i have tested that after reading about this "issue". The 6260 just won't care if it's run with MMC, without MMC or with another MMC. If a message is received while it's got none or another MMC, it will automatically save the message into the phone memory. After that (and only when a message was received during such test!) you will need to run the MSDriveE once again.

Kind regards.....

your Thanh

Old 05-02-2005, 04:26 AM

star_keiko is on a distinguished road
tried it!

seems to be running ok. thanks Thanh for recommending it! now i'm able to bluetooth large files to my phone without the memory problem.

but i find that now when i open an sms or do anything with my sms (such as deleting etc), or access it's kinda slow in executing the task (at least slower compared to when the sms is saved in the phone). i'm using a 512mb mmc. dunno how true is it, but someone told me 6260 is most compatible with a 256mb. using 512mb will slow only down the applications... anyone knows anything abt that?

Old 05-02-2005, 05:18 AM

akid is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

hi thanh,

thnx for ur solotions on the mssing sms on 6260. i downloaded the zip file and installed it into my 6260 as u instructed in mthe forum word for word but i m dissapointed to say the problem hasnt entirely gone away. u said no sms will ever go missing again after installing it the prpoper way but still now some of my sms vanishes after i switch the mobile off. for example i had 30 sms stored on rs-mmc card after installation. when i switched my mobile on again one morning after the installation 25 of the sms went missing and only 5 were left behind strangly......i wanted to ask u if u have faced any such continuing problems after installing the software u provided in the zip file....if yes can u plz help me fix it again. cant afford to miss any sms :( this is so dissapointing coming from NOKIA.

i have the same built version as u. so can u shed some light into my problems......thanks....

regards.

Akid.