All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 08-12-2006, 11:44 AM

TonyG is on a distinguished road
Using speaker for calls on P990

I would like to set my P990 to sometimes (for example when in my SE basic car holder) use the loudspeaker functionality but cannot find anywayto do this. Switching to the loudspeaker once the call is established isn't an option because of the need to to focus on driving the car, not the phone!

Have I missed an option or is there a utility out there that can be used to set this up?

Old 11-12-2006, 08:20 PM

koolezt is on a distinguished road
You could try Tools > Control panel > Call settings > Handsfree as displayed below and even use auto-answer and bluetooth.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	handsfree.gif
Views:	159
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	3450  

Last edited by koolezt; 11-12-2006 at 08:22 PM.

Old 13-12-2006, 04:35 PM

hammera is on a distinguished road
"Answer after 5 secs" only works when a headset is used and what I believe Tony is trying to do is avoid the need to buy a car kit (as am I coz I very rarely need to use my phone while driving and I'm a tight-wad) and automatically use the speakerphone without having to manually accept the call and divert it to speakerphone.

I don't think it's possible as standard (wasn't on my P800 either) but if anyone has an answer I'd love to hear it.

Koolezt, can you please expand on the auto-answer method, I'm not sure what you mean.

Cheers
Adam

Old 13-12-2006, 05:46 PM

koolezt is on a distinguished road
auto-answer

i just mean answer after 5 secs (auto-answer sounds more sexy!)

Old 13-12-2006, 09:15 PM

Sportive is on a distinguished road
Loud Speaker

You will find the loud speaker in the drop down window at the top of the screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyG
I would like to set my P990 to sometimes (for example when in my SE basic car holder) use the loudspeaker functionality but cannot find anywayto do this. Switching to the loudspeaker once the call is established isn't an option because of the need to to focus on driving the car, not the phone!

Have I missed an option or is there a utility out there that can be used to set this up?

Old 13-12-2006, 10:51 PM

TonyG is on a distinguished road
Thanks ... but I've given up

Thanks to all who have replied. Adam is right that I wanted to avoid having to buy a full hands free kit - not that I didn't want to pay up but because I already have one installed for a Nokia 6310i supplied by my employer!

I'd still be interested in Sportive's point about "the drop down window at the top of the screen" - which screen/window and which menu? I have looked and cannot find such an option in either FO or FC mode.

So ... I have invested in a S-E Bluetooth Headset to keep in the car (S-E so that I can charge it on the car holder when not in the car). A useful side effect is that it also proves me with another basic mains charger to carry in my laptop bag - given the battery life of the P990 a useful extra!

thanks again ... Tony

Old 24-12-2006, 12:00 AM

monkeyshine is on a distinguished road
I don't know why, but I have been a fan of these series of phones. I had the P800, the P910 and now I just got the P990i from their website.

this new interface is difficult to use, as I expected it to work a lot like the P910a. They added too many new features that make doing things a lot more cumbersome.

I especially miss my speakerphone!!!! For the P910 I had the speakerphone/charger/sync station unit. It was great. A call came in you pushed a button on the base and used the speakerphone. I fully expected the P990 to have a similar feature, but alas, it does not. The base unit/sync/charger is cool, but the software should DEFINITELy let you answer via speakerphone when it is on the base. Or at anytime.

So I am kind of disappointed by this phone at this point. Some cool stuff but the convenience factor went way down for me. I hope they come up with some improved software for it because it could be a lot cooler than it is. I will list my grievances on the appropriate forums but thanks to all of you who have posted over the last 24 months. I have read a lot and many of you have helped, but this is my first time posting here.

Old 24-12-2006, 12:47 AM

monkeyshine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by koolezt
You could try Tools > Control panel > Call settings > Handsfree as displayed below and even use auto-answer and bluetooth.
There is nothing there to set a speakerphone auto-anwer.

It would be nice to have a button to push to automatically go to speakerphone. For example, when a call comes in you should be able to program a button (like the S on the keyboard, or on screen) to answer via speakerphone. .. something that could switch modes on the fly.

On the old 910a you could open the flip and it would go to speakerphone. I took my flip off the 990i so I don't know if that feature still exists, but it may be a solution to the problem on this thread.

The autoroute to bluetooth works good for me. In the car it works fine with integrated BT system in the car. When I ordered from sonyericsson.com it came with the HCB-100 which is a BT speakerphone. I hooked it up at my desk to use as a speakerphone. I solved my own problem temporarily. It works, but is not as ideal as the all-in-one unit that you could get for the P910a. I have to use 2 units, 2 electric outlets for what used to work on a single unit. This is just one example of how 990i is more cumbsome than the old 910a.

So for anyone who wants a speakerphone for their desk - or the car - the HCB-100 works OK. Hopefully they'll make an integrated unit for desks and cars, and release a software update that allows switching to the integrated speakerphone on the fly by pushing a button.

Old 03-01-2007, 12:54 PM

PeteASJP is on a distinguished road
With the newest firmware available now, there is a button on the call window that enables the speaker. So go and update!

Old 26-02-2007, 12:51 PM

stupidphone is on a distinguished road
Angry Still stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteASJP View Post
With the newest firmware available now, there is a button on the call window that enables the speaker. So go and update!
Yes!
But this doesn´t work with incoming calls. It works only in outgoing calls. What a stupid phone!

Old 23-03-2007, 03:42 AM

i5kd2 is on a distinguished road
if you're already in the call, you can enter the menu and transfer sound to speaker

Last edited by i5kd2; 23-03-2007 at 04:00 AM.

Old 26-03-2007, 12:20 PM

stupidphone is on a distinguished road
Menu

Yeah, yeah, yeah!
I can do almost everything via the menu button, but for example when I drive a car I can't browse the menu. I want a simple way to answer incoming calls with the speakerphone. This is still a stupid phone!
By the way, the answer button is too small and too near of the return -button. I lose approx every 5th call because of this too small button.
Ads