All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 15-12-2008, 10:41 PM

Johnmcl7 is on a distinguished road
Constant Memory Errors after upgrading to v300

I've had a rake through the forum but can't find anyone else having the same problem, since I upgraded my E90 to the latest firmware it's been very slow using the builtin mail client. More recently it seems to be running out of memory which means I get an error claiming the standby mode is full or worse yet I just get a constant 'memory error' and can't do anything until I restart. When I check the amount of free memory there's plenty there and there's no other applications running apart from messaging.

I backed up everything and restored it, the mail seems to be the problem - has anyone had this and how did they get around it? I'm thinking of just deleting the mail account and recreating it to see if that resolves the problem.

John

Old 16-12-2008, 06:50 AM

siavashghahrema is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnmcl7 View Post
I've had a rake through the forum but can't find anyone else having the same problem, since I upgraded my E90 to the latest firmware it's been very slow using the builtin mail client. More recently it seems to be running out of memory which means I get an error claiming the standby mode is full or worse yet I just get a constant 'memory error' and can't do anything until I restart. When I check the amount of free memory there's plenty there and there's no other applications running apart from messaging.

I backed up everything and restored it, the mail seems to be the problem - has anyone had this and how did they get around it? I'm thinking of just deleting the mail account and recreating it to see if that resolves the problem.

John
My Mail works just fine, the problem that i have is when tying an e-mail or sms the phone restarts itselfe and the sms or mail is saved in draft .
and sometime my memorycard just formats itselfe somehow, i don't know

these all happened after i upgraded to lastest firmware.
Ads

Old 17-12-2008, 02:20 AM

KroniK is on a distinguished road
Okay so, johnmcl7, your problem (i believe) is that you are using up all of the alotted memory for the storage of messages. I rack up 1000+ texts and a bunch of emails so i get these messages alot. Why they decide you can have only that many messages is beyond me, but i assume it was due to the limitations of s60 hardware when it was first released, and they have yet to realize how much free memory we have on our wonderous new devices. I do not know this for sure, but that is the best guess i can come up with, and deleting some messages will get rid of the message, so it makes logical sense. your best bet is to take all those old emails you no longer need, and delete(from phone only, header remains if you want to retrieve them whenever) so that they are not taking up the memory then retrieve them if you need them again i guess. if you really need all of those messages perhaps go to settings and start using your memory card for message storage. that is my best suggestion for you.

hope i helped.

Old 17-12-2008, 11:39 PM

Johnmcl7 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by KroniK View Post
Okay so, johnmcl7, your problem (i believe) is that you are using up all of the alotted memory for the storage of messages. I rack up 1000+ texts and a bunch of emails so i get these messages alot. Why they decide you can have only that many messages is beyond me, but i assume it was due to the limitations of s60 hardware when it was first released, and they have yet to realize how much free memory we have on our wonderous new devices. I do not know this for sure, but that is the best guess i can come up with, and deleting some messages will get rid of the message, so it makes logical sense. your best bet is to take all those old emails you no longer need, and delete(from phone only, header remains if you want to retrieve them whenever) so that they are not taking up the memory then retrieve them if you need them again i guess. if you really need all of those messages perhaps go to settings and start using your memory card for message storage. that is my best suggestion for you.

hope i helped.
Thank you for your post, I think you could well be spot on. I don't really use the phone as an archive it's more for incoming messages to read as they come in, I'm probably just going to delete all the existing messages and start again. While having these problems I've tried installing Nokia's beta mail client and it seems very good so may continue to use it and go back to the builtin client afterwards.

Thanks again for your help,
John

Old 18-12-2008, 09:56 AM

entwisi is on a distinguished road
I recently hit a limit of how many SMS and emails etc. in my case it actually stopped the phone ringing, i.e. the screen would show an incomming call but no sound( and yes, I checked it wasn't on silent ), delete some messages and its starts ringing again. I also found the menu slowed down to a crawl