All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 15-03-2009, 06:12 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
A day with the Samsung Omnia HD - Hardware and First Impressions

On Thursday, Rafe Blandford and I were invited to spend a day with a pre-production Samsung Omnia HD, powered by Symbian OS 9.4 and S60 5th Edition (the previous Omnia had been much lower spec and Windows Mobile-powered). Away from trade show crowds and noise, we were able to really explore the Omnia HD in text, photos and video, so watch for this content over the next few weeks. In this feature I look at the device itself, its form factor and obvious interface characteristics.

Read on in the full article.

Old 15-03-2009, 06:29 PM
Administrator

Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
OK, this isn't exactly the main selling point of the Omnia HD, but I love the neon-esque menu icons.

The Nokia 5800 icons are good too, but the Samsung provides a nice alternative look.

Quote:
the use of capacitive sensing means instant response to a screen touch - there's no need to press down.
Maybe I just have weird fingers, but I honestly don't have to press down AT ALL when using the 5800's screen. As soon as I touch the screen in any way it selects stuff.

I suspect it might be down to fingernails: my nails go all the way to the screen at almost any angle, but not everyone's do.
Ads

Old 15-03-2009, 06:39 PM
Unregistered

Nice to see an OMAP3 device, and hopefully some OpenGL ES 2.0 optimised games at some stage. Understand the PowerVR guys have been closely consulted on this handset so fingers crossed. Wonder what nokia are thinking....?

Old 15-03-2009, 06:49 PM

Jaggz is on a distinguished road
Come on Samsung! You're so close to perfection. You have to get that video capture sorted. The 720p is ridiculous and the D1 is just plain odd. Though the file is reporting that it has been captured at 30 fps, clearly it's not. There is a sequence just after Rafe waves his arms when the *actual* frame rate is as low as 18fps!!! What's all that about Samsung?

Fingers crossed this will all be ironed out in the final firmware. (>_<)

Last edited by Jaggz; 15-03-2009 at 06:52 PM.

Old 15-03-2009, 07:56 PM
Tijs

Any word on the release date?
I'm sooo dissapointed with the absence of xenon flash! they should've put xenon+led for videos !!

And no multi touch? wtf so what's the point of a capactive screen then? :/

Old 15-03-2009, 08:07 PM
Unregistered

Are you guys sure that this one has the final hardware?
Because I thought the final i8910 would have the metal battery cover + lens protector like the one from GSM-Arena.

Old 15-03-2009, 08:23 PM

junchao8 is on a distinguished road
Page loading speed

Have you guys compared page loading speed of this OMAP 3 phone vs current gen phones that uses the ARM 11 core?

That would be very interesting, and if my next phone runs symbian, it better be speedy.

Old 15-03-2009, 08:37 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Re: the lens cover, or lack thereof, it was suggested that auto-shutters like the INNOV8's have a tendency to jam... hence they went without.

Yes, fairly sure it was final hardware, or as final as it gets without actually coming off a production line.

Old 15-03-2009, 08:41 PM
Unregistered

Thanks for the answer Steve!
I'm still hoping on the metal back cover.

Old 15-03-2009, 09:06 PM
Unregistered

Does it come with wheels on the bottom and an extendable handle on the top? It's more like and internet tablet than a phone.

Old 15-03-2009, 09:07 PM
BoyBawang

CORRECTED: (please erase my previous post)

The typing problem you mentioned can be fixed easily without the need of multitouch because it's capacitive.

PROBLEM with RESISTIVE:
Simultaneously holding two letters say "a" then "p" will also physically press a series of unintended letters in between the two such as (d,g,u,i). In effect, the letters pressed are now (a,d,g,u,i,p) instead of just "a" and "p". The system can't guess which letters you really intend that's why their solution is just output only the last key being released which is "p" in this case.

SOLUTION in CAPACITIVE (without the need of multi-touch)
Since capacitive is not prone to the effect of unintended letters in between, a solution is very simple:
Again we press "a" then we press "p" while still holding "a".

Algorithm: If ("a" and "p" are not located near each other) then
print "a" immediately as soon as "p" is pressed
else if ("a" and "p" are next to each other or no key in between) then
don't print "a" because it might be a sliding gesture.
end
print "p" after it is released.

In this case both "a" and "p" are printed because they are not located near each other.
Had it been "o" instead of "a" then "o" should not be printed because it's obviously a sliding gesture.

cheers!!

Old 15-03-2009, 09:15 PM
Unregistered

I really want to get this phone, but the fact that they have these bugs, and (or so it seems) no firmware updates. and the lack of qwerty holds me back. It would be a god send if it had qwerty.. only I know how annoying it is when you only have your ipod touch to reply to an email.. and that certain email's reply consists of a very long essay!

Old 15-03-2009, 09:16 PM
Iain 117

Are you still surprised at the lack of multi touch in Symbian Handsets?

It's not In Symbian so it won't be in ANY handsets untill they sort themselves out and add it in, even the N97 won't have it. Untill they do I'm sorry but in my opinion nothing using symbian with a TS will even come close in ease of use compared to (you guessed it) The iPhone/iPod Touch.

In other news I'm eagerly awaiting this device - the idea of HD video recording whets my appetite :-p

Old 15-03-2009, 09:27 PM
Unregistered

The Symbian touch screen phones may not be as easy to use as an Apple offering, but they are still very easy to use.

Old 15-03-2009, 09:30 PM
Unregistered

"It's not In Symbian so it won't be in ANY handsets untill they sort themselves out and add it in"

Like most modern software it will have a layer architecture, so it doesn't have to be in Symbian - it can be laid on top.

This post won't be in the discussion until I sort myself out and press the submit button.