All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 26-06-2009, 06:09 PM

rvirga is on a distinguished road
In a devil's advocate spirit, here's all the things that have disappointed me so far about the i8910:
- the aforementioned Podcasts app
- the much-discussed AMR audio encoding in video
- java doesn't use the GPU, and is severely memory-limited
- when geotagging a photo, the camera app stores the wrong coordinates
- no voice commands or voice dialing
- no remote control in the wired headset; not even a two-piece wired headset like the i8510's one, so that one can use his own pair of headphones
- digital compass needs to be recalibrated, for various reasons, at least a couple of times a week (this is however only a minor annoyance, since recalibration takes just a few seconds)
- not a lot of home screen widgets, and fewer yet that are actually useful (maybe the widget competition will bring some better ones)
However, in spite of this, I'm still very, very happy with it and I don't regret buying it at all. This is easily the best phone I've ever owned. Also, all above problems except one are software ones, and can be fixed by firmware updates.

Old 26-06-2009, 07:04 PM

Jules_N93 is on a distinguished road
Same here. Some complaints, but still easily the best phone I ever had.

Sometimes when I have the N95 8GB of my gf in my hand, I truly wonder how I ever managed with three times less pixels in a so much smaller and bleaker screen =)

Old 27-06-2009, 06:08 AM

capitaine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules_N93 View Post
Same here. Some complaints, but still easily the best phone I ever had.

Sometimes when I have the N95 8GB of my gf in my hand, I truly wonder how I ever managed with three times less pixels in a so much smaller and bleaker screen =)
what d'you mean 3 times less pixels... i8910 is only 640x360

Old 28-06-2009, 10:45 AM

rleader is on a distinguished road
Rvirga: top quality post! I agree on all points.
Thanks for tip on podcasts app. I am afraid I just
don't use it... (as yet).
From other thread: I so hope that new firmware
is on the way. You are right that almost everything
is software-solvable! Then it will be an incredible handset.

Re: screen sizes
I believe N95 is a 320x240 screen = 76,800 total pixel count.
I8910 is OLED and 640x360 = 230,400 pixels.
Divide one into the other = exactly 3 times.

I find seeing/looking at/viewing the i8910's lower total pixel count compared to an 800x480 sized resolution in the same physical area e.g. 3.5" diagonal of the Touch Pro 2, is preferable
as each i8910 pixel's physical size is also bigger. Personal preference!

Old 28-06-2009, 08:38 PM

Tenkom is on a distinguished road
If I didn't care so much about browsing and video watching I'd take the n95 over the samsung any day.
Better gaming(no physical keys and no multi touch = bad gaming and despite it's shortcomings n-gage really does have a few cool games. Worms and reset generation comes to mind), better music player(s60 music player needs a physical keyboard to be effective, if only they added the search function in contacts), also there's the hardware playback keys on the device itself plus the ones on the remote/handsfree, better podcasting, MUCH more 3rd party software including the excellent nokia beta apps(sports tracker, step count, photo browser), phone firmware updater doesn't work on the samsung.

But since I DO care about browsing(i8910 is not the best I admit. but it is very good) and video watching. After all is said and done I'm happy with the i8910.

P.S. It really does destroy all the competition as far as video watching goes. The high resolution, incredible colors and contrast provided by the oled screen already puts it in first place. But on top of that it plays divx,xvid out of the box. Which means 90% of all the series, movies I have on my computer simply plays without any conversion. The iphone simply can't compete with this.
I know coreplayer enables most symbian and windows mobile phones to do this. But since coreplayer doesn't support hardware acceleration on most of them they don't play smoothly.

Old 28-06-2009, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenkom View Post
If I didn't care so much about browsing and video watching I'd take the n95 over the samsung any day.
Better gaming(no physical keys and no multi touch = bad gaming and despite it's shortcomings n-gage really does have a few cool games. Worms and reset generation comes to mind), better music player(s60 music player needs a physical keyboard to be effective, if only they added the search function in contacts), also there's the hardware playback keys on the device itself plus the ones on the remote/handsfree, better podcasting, MUCH more 3rd party software including the excellent nokia beta apps(sports tracker, step count, photo browser), phone firmware updater doesn't work on the samsung.

But since I DO care about browsing(i8910 is not the best I admit. but it is very good) and video watching. After all is said and done I'm happy with the i8910.

P.S. It really does destroy all the competition as far as video watching goes. The high resolution, incredible colors and contrast provided by the oled screen already puts it in first place. But on top of that it plays divx,xvid out of the box. Which means 90% of all the series, movies I have on my computer simply plays without any conversion. The iphone simply can't compete with this.
I know coreplayer enables most symbian and windows mobile phones to do this. But since coreplayer doesn't support hardware acceleration on most of them they don't play smoothly.
Well put, I mostly agree. However, about the music player, you should really try LCG Jukebox. It works great. Plays folders, and has superior audio quality. 50 step volume control, 10 band equalizer, and much more. Also a nice miniplayer on your homescreen with grapic eq. and the possibilty to pauze and unpauze the music by tapping it. However, it is still not perfectly suited to touch control.

Indeed, lots of the OS is not really adapted to touch control. I find it really strange for example that you get re-routed to a special input-page when filling in some textfield, instead of a semi-translucent keyboard coming up or something.

BTW, I don't understand your remark about the search function in contacts. It does have one...

A side note about the videoplayer, I noticed you can put it on keyboard lock, and it will play, not tilt, and be responsive to the volume control. Nice touch =)

Old 29-06-2009, 06:18 AM

Tenkom is on a distinguished road
I meant that they should put the search function in the music player also. Cause I think it's really neat even if it doesn't quite match the smart dialing in windows mobile and t9nav for s60 3rd.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:12 PM

P_H is on a distinguished road
I have a question - how is the phone operation on the Omnia? Being in a pocket, can i accidentaly answer an incoming call? Can u mute the ringer and send automatic sms? Does it have timed profiles?
Ads

Old 12-07-2009, 06:34 PM

replies

>> I have a question - how is the phone operation on the Omnia?

- very good. Probably its best and (most) bug-free application.

Being in a pocket, can i accidentaly answer an incoming call?

- no, there is both a handy hardware 'lock' button (just where your right hand thumb is, assuming you are right handed) which I would recommend pressing just before you skip handset back into pocket; also, there is an autolock software feature, but this takes one minute, at least, to start. So using the button is best.

Can u mute the ringer?

- yes, personallised profiles; or just go for one of the default profiles = the one called 'silent'

and send automatic sms?

- not sure what you mean. Someone else maybe able to answer this. I do not send any SMS's automatically. There are probably delivery reports, if that's what you mean.

Does it have timed profiles?

- not that I know of (& not really sure what you mean). I choose the profile I want manually. I haven't seen an option to switch profiles at any given time. There are probably 3rd party apps for these things you want, but I am new to Symbian with the i8910 & it's taking me time to get up to speed.

Cheers!

Old 13-07-2009, 09:19 AM

You can also mute an incoming call by turning the phone over (so you're looking at the back, not the screen).

Old 13-07-2009, 09:24 AM

e-rik is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules_N93 View Post

)
Jules, thanx for the suggestions. How do you make these screen shots?

Old 13-07-2009, 10:19 AM

if I can answer :-)

http://www.smartphoneware.com/screen...on-product.php

Old 13-07-2009, 10:32 AM

With best screensnap. It's freeware.

Old 13-07-2009, 01:15 PM

e-rik is on a distinguished road

Thanx again Jules. Now I have one more question about the LCG Jukebox. On my homescreen the mini player falls off the bottom. See screenshot
Could ik be I installed the wrong version? I have v 2.41, build date May 7 2009. I used the LCGJukebox_S60_3rd.sisx

e-

Old 13-07-2009, 01:43 PM

You can 'grab' the miniplayer and move it around, by touching and dragging it =)

Groeten,

Jules